• Tweets

• Hello, I hope you're all well, I just wanted some advise on my debt situation. So currently my debt is a total of £17,000, 7k to Amex and 10k to TSB as a loan, now I have never missed a payment and I have always been on time but I have had some personal circumstances that mean I need my money and I cannot afford to pay these loans off for the time being. I'd need around 4/5 months and then ill be able to start making the payment again, I've been reading on the forum and I have seen many options but I'd like to know what the best option for me is. I don't want and IVA or DMP and nor do I want to go bankrupt. I've read about defaulting and minimum payments etc, Say if I didn't pay anything for 4 months or maybe paid bare minimum then once the 4 months is over I make up for the payments? Sorry If I sound stupid but I am just trying to figure out the best option before doing something stupid and going for an option that is more feasible. Thanks
    • For NI it depends on how you pay. Pension Contributions come out via your gross pay as a deduction = You pay NI. Pension contributions come out via salary sacrifice = You don't pay NI. You wouldn't pay income tax on it either way.  
    • Hi Isn't the pension contributions tax exempt - so take Gross - pension = taxable income?? Obviously the Tax Codes and Thresholds will play a part in the calcs as well G
    • Yea the counter is open 10-4 apparently but in reality if you go to the court and go to secuirty just refuse to go away and ask them to call the civil team they will eventually and they'll take the payment  
    • Update My insurance declined the claim since lung cancer was a 'pre-existing' condition at the time of booking Will try and ask BA to reconsider, otherwise I will lose several hundred pounds Probate (or rather the equivalent here in Malta) is completed and took 2 weeks from receiving the official death certificate Have now sent off all the necessary closure forms to Pension, Insurance, UK Bank, etc. Just need to visit the embassy to have her passport cancelled G
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

My laptop screen is now black and white with lines in the corner???ehhhh

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5278 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey there experts...

Just wondering if you can offer any help or if you heard of this problem that occured..Gotta love acer lol

I was watching something on iplayer...left room, camt back in and hald the screen on the top section was now black and in corner had different color lines...Now whenever I turn it on , I get no screen, just thesee lines in corner and black and white sections on screen

I am under warrinty and have to take it in for repair but do you think i will lose the data?

The woman also said if it is a software problem, I will have to pay? I thought my warrinty covers everything?? But does it sound like a hardware issue....And is there anything I can try before I send it in...I literally have no windows screen showing up, I can still hear the noise when it turns on..But no picture just the black and white with the weird lines in the corner..

What the hell happened? And what can i do ( without losing data)

thanks

6920/6935? black line starts just to the left or right of the webcam?

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

O no no , the lines are on the actual screen,When I turn on the computer , it is black and white and all sorts of weird lines in the right hand corner of the screen..I can hear the start up noise, but I see no picture..

Shoul I take the lappy to a store to get the to back up the date to another cmputer??

Try connecting it to an external monitor. If it works, then it is a hardware problem. Use the opportunity to back up your data and then get it repaired or exchanged etc

right no worries reason i asked is that those models have a known issue with a small hairline crack starting at the side of the webcam, this would show up as a black line or blob, would cause part the screen to go white, and possibly have multicolour lines coming off where the crack is

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Sorry , you are speaking to a compuyet NOVICE..if that lol..When you say connect it to a different monitor what do you mean? Connect what?

My dad has another computer , can I conect my laptop to that? My friendsaid it sounds like a replecement screen problem so in that case Acer could take it in and the data would not be touched....

yep your dads monitor would be fine, theres ussually a port on the rear/side of the laptop.

plug the screen in and turn the laptop on hopefully it should show on there

Please note:

ussually the largeish blue one if its white it might not work

Please note:

It will either be a problem with the screen or the graphics chip in the laptop, both being hardware problems. The only software problem that would prevent something appearing would be a problem with whats called drivers but seeing as its happened after being used before its going to be one of the above.

Even if it were a software issue you would still see everything on the screen up to windows loading up.

To plug the monitor in you are looking for a socket on the side or back of the laptop which has lots of 'pin' holes in it, the same shape as the end of the connector on the monitor.

________

\........../

\ ____/

Sort of that shape, with more lines of holes :) If you don't get an image up I would say its a graphics chip problem, if you do its the laptop monitor.

On reading your reply above, if it is the laptop screen or chip they ...shouldn't... need to touch the harddrive (where all the data is)

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

You can enable a second screen without the first screen.

The Blue socket should be fixed (hardwired) to your fathers monitor. Plug into your laptop. Switch on the monitor. Turn on your laptop. The monitor may work first time. If it does not there should be a key on the laptop keyboard that will "cycle" through Monitor1, Monitor2, Monitor1&2. This key may be different on different laptops. My Dell laptop has a small light blue symbol of a square/rectangle next to one of the "F" keys along the top row. Some have a dedicated key for monitor control, possibly with letters A and B next to it. As you cycle through hopefully your fathers monitor will flicker to life.

Once I had to try ever key along the top row until the second monitor worked. DO you have the laptop manual?

Good luck,

John

With regards to post #14 you will need to hold the usually blue FN key (bottom left on my laptops) then whilst holding press the button that looks like 2 screens or has something like LCD / Screen (maybe as an image). Most of the time however a laptop will default to use both if it can at startup. If after pressing the button and scrolling through all the other buttons on top (whilst holding FN) its going to be the graphics chip rather then the monitor.

Its not a software fault at all, otherwise you would see something before it loads windows, if you want a back up find a tech minded friend who has an external harddrive caddy, or take it into a computer shop and get them to back it up before you send it off. They really don't need to touch the harddrive however, but they might just ship you out a completly new laptop instead of repairing it (not likely but possible)

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Hello, Thank you for contacting Acer.

Regarding your enquiry,

The engineers have deemed the damage to be cosmetic damage to the panel, this would be a chargeable repair.

My laptop is Aspire 5738Z (AS5838ZG) which is one of the product quoted on their website to be faulty..

There is no way I am paying for this problem, surely lcd problems are covered in the warrinty

AGAIN!...So what should i say this time??

When did you buy it? Essentially you would need to find some form of proof it was a manufacturing fault and not one of accidental damage (which Acer are now claiming).

When did you buy the product btw?

Well I bought the product in 2007 but the last time I sent the laptop in for repair, I suddenly got this brand new laptop..So that one has only been around a month or 2 old..It is brand new..It is my word against theirs and I know I have not damaged the laptop...I don't even know how you would to cause the screen to change in the way it has? So wht should I say ?

Write to them requesting the report stating the exact "cosmetic" damage. Claim that you see this as an inherent fault, and that the product was not of satisfactory quality (not durable). This will have to be done via the retailer however and not Acer.

Did you send your original laptop to the manufacturer? or did you take it back to the retailer whom then sent it to them?

If you bypassed the retailer going directly to Acer then iirc you wouldn't be covered by the SOGA. If you did everything under the guidance of the retailer you would still have your contract with the retailer.

If you did the former, just going to research to see where your contact lies and see if its covered under the SOGA or if not your rights, so bare with me after your reply

Edited by blitz

Did you send your original laptop to the manufacturer? or did you take it back to the retailer whom then sent it to them?

If you bypassed the retailer going directly to Acer then iirc you wouldn't be covered by the SOGA. If you did everything under the guidance of the retailer you would still have your contract with the retailer.

I got a etended warrinty from the retailers a few months ago, I sent my laptop into acer as that is what I have always done.The website I bought it from is technoworld..Does that mean anything?

If you have an extended warranty does that not cover accidental damage anyway? Not saying you should claim on that yet but provides an option

If you have an extended warranty does that not cover accidental damage anyway? Not saying you should claim on that yet but provides an option

Dear Customer:

We certify that you have subscribed to the AcerAdvantage Warranty Extension Program (the "Program"), and that your subscription has been accepted by Acer. Terms and conditions contained in the Acer Product Limited Warranty included in the Product packaging are an integral part of the Program. They continue to apply to your purchase, including all limitations and exclusions contained therein.

In addition to the terms contained in the General Warranty the following services are available to you until the expiration date listed above:

- Extension of the services described in the Limited Warranty to 3 years after the date of purchase.

- Priority Repair Service

- 1ST YEAR INTERNATIONAL TRAVELLERS WARRANTY - ITW

- 30% discount on the purchase of a second battery for your notebook, if ordered directly from the Acer Call-Center and debited to a credit card.

- Access to phone, fax and on-line technical support for the entire duration of the extended warranty, without any further charge other than the telephone costs.

- Notification of special offers and promotions when available through authorized dealers.

I am not sure what the acer warrinty covers but do you know? Sorry I am very basic at all this

http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=cache:LQOgYXgCYD4J:www.provantage.com/acerwarr.pdf+Acer+Product+Limited+Warranty&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShCPYtrV7_TAnt-BdMAzp1ks9HeTaxq2Ivc-jdxRdEAnXd2mB8IXwEGd8smIbpPTU5K7HvvpHAoI8Zq48ConkMZ3NInhiThEjzZ8LDlu5ti4jQYQyqDd8s5EFYtbODIj7PzcTDd&sig=AFQjCNF2mpUykLkuSbP7vTJWOLDiDJsC3w