incapacity /permitted work

littlemissme
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5208 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi hope someone can help me here im at breaking point, iv been on incapacity benefit for 6 months but doing 4 hrs pw permitted work and have been for 2 months , i recieved a letter today saying FRAUD INVESTIGATIONS want to interveiw me at the local job centre , this has made my stomach sick as i do not understand why this as come to this , a formal interview is required please can anyone help me with this may i just add that my ib benefit has not been stopped

Edited by littlemissme

What is the interview for, is is because of the work you are doing?

Have you declared that you are working?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

as Erika has stated, Have you declared this permitted work ?

because IB has to decide it is permitted work and you can do it.

This decision is made by their decision maker.

If you havent then this is what it could be about

but if you have only been doing four hours then declare this

Your Incapacity will not have stopped they can only do this when they have the full facts

as i understood i did not need permission as such i have looked deeper into this and which ever way you look at it im at fault , having said that i have it down on my hb form that i worked these hrs, so surley they will see that this is not in effect hiding the fact, i thought everything was above board there is no way i would have done this without declaring it first , had i know , this was a genuine mistake ,now i see why the job centre have called me in which now puts the fear of god into me as as i was ready and got my self together for this interview thinking well im not doing anything wrong, and i have seriously wrecked my brain to thinking what it could be. after reading the replies on here i now see..... so it looks like im in big trouble which makes me feel ill once again, so please can you tell me ...do i go to this interview and tell them just as i have explained to you people on here, i was walking into that interview not guilty..but clearly i am what now is the way forward thanks

hi ive just read your thread , sorry cant offer any advice, unfortunately im going through my own trauma (as u can prob see) but just wanted to say i know exactly how you feel, it is the worst feeling ever ,easy for me to say but they use the scary tactics with everyone and by the sounds of it you have made a genuine mistake and i'd be inclined to just explain to the interviewers as you have on here, if anything you will just have to pay the money back im sure ?? have u got a local citizens advice bureau you can contact for advice?

Don't let the threads on here scare you. An interview under caution is not always the witch hunt it's made out to be. People will tell you their experience and remember, people come here for help with their problems, not to tell us what a great experience they had, so most posts on forums such as these will be negative. That does not mean that all Interviews under caution have negative results. Just the ones you hear about. They do allow for honest mistakes.

The first thing they do after explaining your rights, usually is show you your claim forms and check you understand the conditions of the claim, such as declaring a change in your circumstances. If it is about your work, they will bring this up and you just explain to them that you were under the impression that you were permitted to work in this capacity and did not have to declare it to Incapacity Benefit, but that you did think you needed to declare it to Housing Benefit and did so.

The IUC is taped. If at any point you feel you want to say nothing, that's fine. You aren't under obligation to say anything, and you can leave.

The IUC is to find out whether you made a genuine mistake or deliberately mislead them. After the interview they may decide that although you should have declared it, it is within the guidelines and permitted - no further action will be taken, other than a reminder that you must declare every change. Or they may decide that the work is not within the guidelines and as a result you are not entitled to the benefit anymore, and you may have to repay the amount of overpayment. Fraud is usually only decided when there was intent or strong indications of intent.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

Littlemissme

You have clearly made a mistake and when you explain this you hopefully will be fine

I think housing benfit notified IB as they inform each other of any changes in circumstances that may effect a customers claim.

You were unaware of the permitted work rules and you told HB as you thought you had nothing to hide

Dont worry go to your interview and tell them this

IB probably will accept your work then you will have no problems#

Good luck and all the best :)

littlemissme.... hope all goes well in your interview this morn, keep us posted .. am sure you will be fine, remember its only an opportunity to sort any misunderstandings about your claim out ! if your anything like me you will have worked yourself into a frenzy thinking of the worse case scenario and come out the interview wondering why you got so worked up ;-) (easy for me to tell you! shame i cant tell myself that !) x

hi all well thats the interview over with and it was better than i expected to be honest , i answered my questions fluently and truthfully, i feel loads better , just have to wait for a decision now, so if i can say dont worry yourself too much then dont because nobody fretted and worries more than me i am the worlds best worrier.just be honest its the best policy thanks for all your replies

Keep us up to date on decision too.

They can tell who's pulling the wool over their eyes and who's telling the truth.

You'll be fine the letter may sort of tell you to be more careful in future but I'm sure you will be.

Tell them every change every penny you get and any raises you get.

We told Council Tax of increase in a benefit somehow they decided to come and pay us a visit but they went to the wrong house and took us to court as they said we were not in!!!

Keep copies of everything,date them when received and when sent, we did and it helped.

GOOD LUCK.

See.....nothing to worry about! Glad it went well, keep us informed of the decision - it helps give others reassurance.

• 3 months later...

have heard nothing from this case at all...i think they had been informed i workred 4 hrs per day....this interviewer face dropped to the floor when i told him it was only 4 hrs per week just shows they also can get it wrong sometimes THANKS TO YOU ALL HERE FOR YOUR HELP IT IS A COMFORT TO KNOW THIS FORUM IS HERE MUCH APPRECIATED