help with a&l account transfer resulting in charges

MoneySuperbroke
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5299 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recentrly signed upo with a&l in the hope that i would recieve £150 for a simlar current account. I now owe £350 in charges on a 50p overdraft!!!!

They say that I did not tick the box asking to transfer my salary, so they only ticked the box asking to transfer debits. I know that I did tick this box as the website offered a £150 incentive to do so.

The events are as follows:

1 ) sign up for bank account at end of april

2 ) receive a letter shortly afterwards thanking me

3 ) recieve bank cards and security in june

4 ) notice in july that my mortgage and all bills have bounded

5 ) contact a&l and they say that they cannot help me

6 ) also find out that overdraft is not granted

7 ) transfer money into the account to cover bills

8 ) recieve a letter from a&l notifying me of the changes

9 ) cancel all debits and move back to old bank

10) wrote complaint in july

i never once received a letter from them telling me when anything would happen so i had no idea when my debits were moving. i also had no idea that by money in wasnt moving and i had no idea that i was moving from a current account with an overdraft to a current account without an overdraft. if they had sent one letter, email or phone call all problems could have been avoided.

they lady on the phone offered to cancel all charges and close the account.

i said that i would like them to cancel the charges, give me the £100 for moving to the account and cover the other charges that i have incurred with dropped direct debits. she refused so i asked her to put her offer in writing.

she said that a&l have a copy of the form i submitted (from the website) and that i am at fault for this and as the FOS deal in FACTS they would always side with me.

as far as i can see any charges incurred are not my fault, 25 charge for a 50p overdraft is ridiculous and the further charges are due to them having taken 10 weeks to respond to my complaint. however it seemed like i should be grateful it is not more charges and take it while i can.

anyone please tell me what i can do please? am i asking for too much?

Last week, I recieved a call where a&l refused to accept liability but did offer to refund all charges (that mounted up while waiting for them to respond) but would not cover any costs. I asked for this in writing.

Then, I recieved a formal request for payment and in addition a letter stating that the offer of closing the account without charges is open for 8 weeks.

They also enclose a set of letters that I did not recieve, I am unsure if they did send them or not as one of the letters was not discussed during our lengthy phone call and this letter would have nullified the majority of my issues.

Should I respond with another letter or will the FO be of assistance?