Not named on joint claim!

recompense41
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5309 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My battles with the Jobcentre...

In November of last year I moved to live with my partner. Prior to this I was receiving income support and DLA. I was able to keep the DLA but stopped receiving the income support as my partner was working full time. Fine so far. My partner suggested it would be a good idea if I signed on to keep my national insurance contributions going, which I did. About six months later I was sent a form for a medical. I telephoned about this as it mentioned I needed to go in order to keep my incapacity benefit. On inquiring it appeared that I had been getting both credits for incapacity and jobseekers - so I needn't have signed on. I've never received any incapacity money before and I'd always assumed these medicals were to assess my condition in relation to my DLA. The person on the phone said I couldn't claim both so she cancelled the contributions for incapacity.

This summer my partner was made redundant and after his 'garden leave' we made what we thought was a joint claim at the beginning of September. We spent about 45 minutes on the phone passing the phone back and forth between us answering all their questions. We were asked to both attend the jobcentre the next day. When we got there only my partner was called over to speak to an advisor - and the same with the second part of the appointment. I queried this and was told they already had my details so I didn't need to see anyone.

After chasing the money we were owned my partner finally received it today (five weeks later) along with a letter in his name only!!! The amount given is for a couple but nowhere on the form am I named. I view this as discrimination. I was already claiming jobseekers yet when my partner has to claim too I suddenly disappear off the radar! What happens if I need to show proof of benefit to get my teeth done or go for an eye test? I telephoned and complained and was told it was set up as a couple's claim instead of a joint claim. Either way I should be named on the letter somewhere. On top of this they haven't awarded us the disability premium that should be added because I get DLA. I only know about this through research on the web, but again another fundamental error.

Another point - more a source of amusement than anything else - my title is Dr as I have a PhD, yet when I go to sign on they either call for Miss xxx or Mr xxx or even say to me 'It says Dr here is that right?'. I don't think their system can cope with it.

I am so tired of their incompetence that I am taking this further. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had this problem with not being named on a joint claim?

Thanks for reading

R

Edited by recompense41

Another point - more a source of amusement than anything else - my title is Dr as I have a PhD, yet when I go to sign on they either call for Miss xxx or Mr xxx or even say to me 'It says Dr here is that right?'. I don't think their system can cope with it.

That's funny. I did a doctorate as well (D Phil).

At my jobcentre they say, 'What's a D Phil?' I say, 'It's the same as a PhD.' 'Er, okay ...' 'It means doctor of philosophy.' 'Okay. So you want to teach philosophy?' 'No, I'm not qualified to teach philosophy.' 'Right, but ...' 'My degree is a history degree.' 'Okay, so you want to teach history in a school?' 'No, I'm not qualified to teach in a school.'

And so it goes ... Such fun.

Sorry, I'm not the right person to answer your query. My only advice is that if you can't get it sorted out soon then take the matter to your MP. I good kick up the backside from an MP is often what JCP needs and it does bring good results.

Tee hee. :)

My father was 'Revd Dr'. Someone once said to him, 'Father, are you the Methodist vicar?'

Nice to chat while waiting for someone to answer your query. Your story is a fairly typical example of jobcentre incompetence I feel.

Good luck. :)

Mikey,

No, I no longer get IB credits as it wasn't picked up when I moved, lost my income support and thought I had to sign on.

They haven't awarded the disability premium so I'm chasing it - just one of many errors on their part.

An update - and some progress. They are processing the disability premium and we should get the arrears this week.;) I had a phone call this morning after complaining yesterday and they explained that joint claims are inherently problematic. I can't see why they should be complicated, but still... Once they've joined my existing claim with the new joint claim my name should appear on the letter. I also queried the 3 waiting days as I already had an existing claim (but it was a new claim for my partner due to redundancy). I know new claims have waiting days but as mine was continuing I felt we shouldn't have to forego the 3 days. She said she honestly didn't know the answer and would email the processing centre.

Will keep plugging away until we get the results we're entitled to. It's a shame you have to fight so hard against the system for basic rights, but we'll get there in the end.