• Tweets

• Hello, Following the submission of my defense, last night I received an email from DCBL indicating that the claimant intends to proceed with the claim (I've attached a screenshot of the email for reference) along with the N180 directions questionnaire. I'm unsure how they obtained my email, but I suspect it was through the courts' form when I completed the Acknowledgment of Service. This email almost slipped my attention. I have also today received a letter from court to state they have received my defense.  It appears they are requesting an online telephone hearing with the court. Could you please advise me on the necessary steps I should take at this point? Thank you for your assistance. Letter-Email 25-04-24.pdf N180 - Directions questionnaire (Small Claims Track).pdf
    • Default Amount £9237.88, all this started in 2006 Admitted debt £9075.65 Weightmans added £1515.01 immediately they became involved, no explanation The Statement shows when Marlin bought debt in May 2011 £10439.25 Their statements, not received until the SAR, are based on this. Cabot deducted £1515.01on their statements in January 2019, again did not find this out until SAR. Weightmans added in  2007 after the CH1 etc was confirmed by the court £741.50, made up of Process server fees, Court Fee (they tried for bankruptcy), Solicitors fee and Land Registry fee. Unspecfied Legal costs were added by Marlin in March 2015, again I did not know this until statements received with SAR I had been paying monthly, without exception until December 2018. I am minded to take the property charge, CH1 amount ,deduct all my payments and the subsequent fees, and request/demand a refund on the final payment made? I consistently disputed Weightmans balances, but they never responded. I also told Mortimer Clarke/Cabot that I disputed their amounts.  
    • Just follow this link and have read of some threads so your familiar with the process https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/347310-legal-n180-directions-questionnaire-small-claims-track/#comment-5178739
    • Sorry,  I'm not familiar with terminology.  Direction questionnaire is what I've seen online as next step. Witness statement: I haven't gone that far, that's why I put the question marks.
    • 2. Is correct disregard 1. You must attend ad per the order 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

barclaycard/mercers-is this right?

big.syd
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5120 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Big Syd,

If you go on to the Companies House website and search for Mercers you will note that the company is registered as being dormant. I.E. That it is just a name owned by Barclays Bank plc. That means that they cannot legally trade at all, they submit no accounts, pay no taxes etc etc (all a requirement of Companies Act if you make even just one transaction or lead people to believe that you are a legitimate company). We (along with others) have been assured by officials that the matter is being looked into with a view to stamping out their (and Barclays) dubious practices as it is also an infringement of the Misrepresentation legislation.

Some where on here and I cannot find it now, recently a worker for a CMC stated that they had been paying Mercers on behalf of clients by cheque. Suddenly that was stopped as Mercers can no longer operate a bank account. The CMC concerned (or their clients) now had to pay Barclays direct NOT Mercers. I cannot confirm this as we just blow them out of the water and have been instructed by our sols to just ignore them as non entities. Yes the harassment does continue but we just start quoting the relevant sections of law/regulations they are infringing and they normally put the phone down now. We discuss nothing, We log all of the calls and just ignore and file the letters and envelopes as legally instructed for future use against them in evidence. Marked of course with the date received.

Hello Guest!!!!

Regards

OR

Hi Oily, great name by the way :-)

I was party to that thread with the CMC worker and suggested perhaps they had changed things in that the payments were no longer to go to Mercers, the following month payments resumed to the normal account again with cheques being cashed.

S.

Mercers last acounts were made up to 31st December 2008 so it was a dormant company at that date. The company could however, have started trading on any day after that - say 1st January 2009. We will not know until the time for filing the next years anual accounts comes around.

firstly, may i thank you all for your comments

on this thread.

all of your comments are noted, and we all need to

find the best way to handle our situations.

Barclaycard are a tiresome lot to deal with.

Today i recieved the following letter from Barclaycard,

pretty much the respose i was expecting from them:confused:

they say they have complied with my original

request, but i have still to see my original

agreement.

nice of them to put calls on hold for 28 days though:wink:

b-card.PDF

Hi Big Syd,

At least in your case BC have given you their Final Response, so you can now try a complaint to the FOS.

In other cases recently, they've failed to confirm it's their F R.

Read her for a template letter I drafted to send to the FOS - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclaycard/231901-tony3x-barclaycard.html#post2575342

I have a suspicion that this route may no longer be useful for getting sight of your credit agreement, after the Manchester test cases. But try it anyway as it costs you nothing but a stamp. :)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

thank you slick,

i will read turough that post as advised.

i personally think its better to let them

take me to court, rather than me chase

them.

they would have to show what evidence

they hold and at that stage i will get to see

any agreement they hold.

i already have a defective D/N so that

alone will cause them problems should

it procede to court.

i will send letters to them every 4-6 weeks

reminding them that the core document that

i am entitled to see has not been sent.

at least it will show that i have continued

to assertain my standing as a consummmer.

I am sure as is the case with most of us caggers! Calder will give up on you eventually if you just ignore them and then most probably Barclayshark will attempt to play pass the parcel with the outside DCAS such as Wescott RMA NCO etc etc .This is what happens to most of us on CAG But they are usually normally seen of with a couple of account in dispute letters!:D

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

thank you sunflower,

i still think that the account has probably

yet to be terminated, so i will have to wait

for that.

should i also be recieving noa letters

when this is passed along the line?.

Hi bigsyd

Barclaycard gone quite quiet now and i not heard from anyone concerning this account for several months,I dont think my account been tereminated either I just got defaulted by Mercers soon after they received my cca request,Scotcall amd wescott are the only DCAs i seen off so far ,I just send each new Dca they set on me one or two acount in dispute letters and then ignore thm Like you they never sent a proper response to cca request just unsigned ts and cs so far!

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

hi sunflower,

seems we are in similar position.

they refuse to accept that by not sending

original agreement that there is a disupte

and continue to pile on the intrest charges.

guess were in for the "long haul"

:cool:

• 4 weeks later...

Post #27 shows a quote from one of Oily's posts which refers to Mercers being possibly a dormant company, and possibl;y questionning whether Mercers have the right to operate at all under that name.

No idea why Oily's deleted them.

Did you get a response, from your SAR to BC, with details of any penalty charges added to the a/c.

:)

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

shows a quote from one of Oily's posts which refers to Mercers being possibly a dormant company, and possibl;y questionning whether Mercers have the right to operate at all under that name.

No idea why Oily's deleted them.

In theory and its just a theory, if one was to claim that they didnt know a specific DCA were part of say another financial institution as that financial institution didnt put their address on the default notice.... and just say for arguments sake that you were to present this case to a judge... you wouldnt want evidence that showed you knew about the financial institution being the same as the DCA possibly turning up would you.

;-)

S.

thank you, slick.

i have yet to S.A.R. barclaycard.

do you think i should wait a little longer,

i mean wait for calders to demand full

amount outstanding?

going back to one of your previous posts

what is the significance of them saying

"this is our final response"?

is it just another tactic they use to put

me on the back foot?

Their Final Response only has relevance to replying to a CCA request.

If you want to get penalty charges refunded to reduce the a/c balance, send off the SAR now.

Hi bigsyd

I am glad you still giving Barcayshark grief:D I not heard from Barclayshark for several months now,They so far never produced anything other than unsigned ts and cs but i never in end went down sar route but i will if they ever escalate it to litigation,As i tend to hoard papers will probably be aable to find most of my statements .My OH is always telling me of for insisting on holding onto loads of crap!:eek: But i suppose being like that has its uses in cases like this :D