nursery cut our daughters hair

37ali37
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5286 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

out 2 year old daughter come home from nursery yesterday with about 2 inch of hair missing, it's been done very badly, it looks like someone put it into a ponytail and just chopped 2 inch off the length, what are out rights and who do we complain to?

the nursery is denying it, but we know it happened there. we have already told them she wont be returning

Something makes me think that this is classed as assault, something in the back of my mind...

What are the nursery saying exactly? Did you pick her up and drop her off yourself? Did you notice it as soon as you picked her up?

I think that the correct course of action is to not use the nursery again, and move on. Realisitically there is no permanent damage - I understand the anger though.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

the nursery are denying it happened, i dropped her off and i picked her up just 3 hours later, she did have paint in her hair.

this is far from the first incident with the nursery

here's some extra info

she is 2 and a half, but only has a mental age of 1,

she can't talk so can't tell us what happened

we have had other problems with the nursery, ie- sending her home in wet clothes after playing in water, giving her milk when they know she's lactose intollerant and clothing going missing from her bag

we went to the nursery last week intending to pull her out, but they convinced us to keep her there, she's only been going for 3 weeks and has no friends there

I've got it in the back of my head about assault as well, but can't place it.

However, with the nursery denying it, you are going to have a hard time proving it, and it could be that kids were playing and another child did this, and at worst then the nursery staff would be guilty of not watching the kids properly, but we all know kids have a way of doing things unnoticed.

That being the case, I think you are right to remove her from there, but I can't see there's much else you can do. If the nursery is officially registered (which I hope) then you can report your concerns to OFSTED. you can also search for the nursery's previous OFSTED reports here:

Inspection Reports - Ofsted

I agree with Bookie, you must report the Nursery to OFSTED, as from your post it sounds badly run with a lack of communication between the staff. I don't wish to sound like I'm scare-mongering here, but if parents pull children out without also giving their concerns to OFSTED, what is sloppy management can turn into something far more serious.

I hope you find a better place for your child :)

I have sent both my 2 children, Boy now aged 6 and girl 15 months, to the local surestart nursery and found it wonderful.

Yes there are a few problems. Losing nappy rash cream then it turning up the next day, giving us another childs bag easy when they are all the same free bag, Paint in hair on nose clothes on feet u know the general when they are doing messy play but never had a problem like this.

My first person to complain to woukd be your daughters key worker, this is the person they apointe to be the main person u need to speak to orpoint things out to in regards to ur daughter.

If that is no Joy then i would have gone to the room leader. This is normal if the nursery provides places for more than one age group, normal age groups are Birth -2, 2-3 then 3-5. Each room will have a room leader and each child will have a key worker.

If thats then no Joy the leader of the Nursery would be my next port of call.

On a personal note they dont sound like a good nursery so i think u have done best in removing your daughter from there. Also if like bookie has suggested that it may have been another child then what is that child doing with sissosors as i am sure they are ment to either have the paper pre cut or even provide saftey sissosors

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Just a note on the 'assault' query. Nitty Nora was stopped from examining childrens heads in school as it could be classed as assault. My friend is a dinner lady and she was told not to give the kids cuddles as this too is assault or even 'abuse':(

I would definatly report the nursery if you have several complaints. This needs sorting now.

Hi, I contacted OFSTED about something I heard about a local nursery. They took it very seriously and launched an investigation. I think this is a terrible breach of trust and also child neglect! I would take this all the way! Its a disgrace - we pay these people to care for the most precious things in our life - our chlidren

Your daughter had her hair cut in that nursery if it wasn't done by a member of staff then that only leaves another child. What on earth were children doing with scissors!!!

thats a good point Wino one i would raise with the nursery.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Legally, the nursery workers are NOT allowed to lay a finger on your children, unless you sign a parental indemnity form upon signing your child(ren) up for their services.

Write to the nursery, and ask them to produce any and ALL documents they have in relation to your daughter (they legally have to under the Data Protection Act, may cost you £1) they'll most likley send photocopies of the original documents, but you can check them over for any sign of you handing permission over to them so they can touch your child...if its not in the paperwork, they broke the law by even touching her.

If they DID cut her hair, accidental or not, the individual could be charged with Gross Misconduct in the workplace, and the company behind the nursrey could also receive a nasty warning and in-depth OFSTED investigations.

You CAN do things about this, don't by shy to get your hands dirty and write a few letters...remember, keep paper copies of EVERYTHING and do NOTHING over the phone.

Good luck.

:!: Any advice given is from my own personal experience and should always be backed up by a professional :!:

:lol:If my post was helpful to you, please click my scales :lol:

Legally, the nursery workers are NOT allowed to lay a finger on your children, unless you sign a parental indemnity form upon signing your child(ren) up for their services.
Under which law, out of interest?

Write to the nursery, and ask them to produce any and ALL documents they have in relation to your daughter (they legally have to under the Data Protection Act, may cost you £1) they'll most likley send photocopies of the original documents, but you can check them over for any sign of you handing permission over to them so they can touch your child...if its not in the paperwork, they broke the law by even touching her.
£10 is the maximum that may be charged for an SAR (with the exception of medical records). Most organisations also take it to be the minimum.

If they DID cut her hair, accidental or not, the individual could be charged with Gross Misconduct in the workplace, and the company behind the nursrey could also receive a nasty warning and in-depth OFSTED investigations.
Is this according to OFSTED guidelines?

You CAN do things about this, don't by shy to get your hands dirty and write a few letters...remember, keep paper copies of EVERYTHING and do NOTHING over the phone.

Good luck.

Pathetic claim. What if a child had a bad accident and needed immediate attention to a deep cut or ressucitation or similar? The trained first aid staff the nursery should have would not be able to touch the child and possibly leave them to die? Can't have it both ways.

update, they admitted they cut it, they said they couldn't get paint out of her hair with baby wipes so they cut itangry-smiley-030.gifangry-smiley-030.gif.

when asked why they didn't send her home for us to clean up they just shrugged, when i asked why they lied to us they shrugged.

this is not what i expect from a surestart run nursery.

we have contacted ofsted, the school goveners and a solicitor, the solicitor also told us to contact the police.

when we called the police, we were shocked that they are taking this very seriously saying it may not only be assult, but may also be classed as abuse.

dd is now safely removed from the nursery

thats a surestart nursery.

I am very suprised as my 2 local sure start nurserys that i have used are run better than that. They phone u if theres a problem, even something that is small and can wait till u pick the child up like fell whilest learning to walk without any minor or major injury.

They also call you over things like nappy rash and if the clothes get dirty and other obviously more bigger issues like if the child is unwell.

I can safely say i have never had such poor standard of care from a surestart nursery.

I am glad you have removed your daughter from the nursery. What more has the police said?

have u had photos taken of the damage to the hair or could u supply photos if needed?

I ask this as i am sure that evidence would be needed espicailly to form any type of prosecution and the governors my want to look at evidence.

update, they admitted they cut it, they said they couldn't get paint out of her hair with baby wipes so they cut itangry-smiley-030.gifangry-smiley-030.gif.

when asked why they didn't send her home for us to clean up they just shrugged, when i asked why they lied to us they shrugged.

this is not what i expect from a surestart run nursery.

we have contacted ofsted, the school goveners and a solicitor, the solicitor also told us to contact the police.

when we called the police, we were shocked that they are taking this very seriously saying it may not only be assult, but may also be classed as abuse.

dd is now safely removed from the nursery

:-o:-x

Well done for taking it further.

:-o:-x

Well done for taking it further.

Wow...What a 'result', its amazing what happens when you stick to your guns.

What on earth was the nursery thinking ?. The fact they lied and are now admitting it makes it look even worse, you thought of contacting the local press?, I can imagine this would make a good story, perhaps others would come forward too.

Andy