Stupid Question ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5288 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Our local council will be "taking responsibility for" or "taking over control" of "on-street" parking when it passes from the police to them" shortly ...

Is this something compulsory? is this supposedly a good idea? is this something taxpayers have been campaigning for? Have I missed something ? Pros and cons please.....

The answer to the last question is probably yes, but any answers / comments from anyone else on the others would be helpful.

We have at least 3 or 4 "free" ( we already pay for them in our council tax) public car parks in our town at present, the only one we have to pay extra ( ticket machines and wardens) for is the car park recently sited/built "near" the train station to blatantly rip off commuters, (commuters who are also taxpayers and who paid for it in the first place !) The price has been cynically and deliberately set at just below the rip off NCP prices at the train station.

Comments please...

Thanks

5printst,

I'm not clear what you want to know. You talk about on-street parking but then go on about car parks.

It is not compulsory to have civil parking enforcement (ie by the LA rather than police) but it is widely seen as the way forward.

There are pros and cons. Undoubtedly enforcement will go up which may help keep the roads clearer but there may well be an increase in "unfair" tickets issued.

There will now be a much simpler and easier to understand appeals process (allegedly) but the amount to pay for a correct ticket will likely to be higher.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

Apologies Bernie, let me try and clarify it, I wanted opinions on the taking over by the Council of "control" of on-street parking.

At present the only things they "control" are a few "free" car parks and the rip off one near the station.

Is this something the Council can decide to do without consulting tax payers ?

They have already proved that they can be downright devious and cynical by the charging unusually high rates for the train station car park when all other car parks in the town under their "control" are "free".

I don't think they should be trusted to take over "control" of on-street car parking as well.

Apologies Bernie, let me try and clarify it, I wanted opinions on the taking over by the Council of "control" of on-street parking.

At present the only things they "control" are a few "free" car parks and the rip off one near the station.

Is this something the Council can decide to do without consulting tax payers ?

They have already proved that they can be downright devious and cynical by the charging unusually high rates for the train station car park when all other car parks in the town under their "control" are "free".

I don't think they should be trusted to take over "control" of on-street car parking as well.

Welcome to the world of supply and demand!

AFAIK, to "decriminalise" parking in an area requires no public consultation.

Installation of parking restrictions does require statutory consultation and for controlled parking zones councils have to show the support of residents. But note, this is the support of those who respond not those consulted on!

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

The opportunity to provide 'paid for' on street parking enforced by the Council was enabled by the RTRA 1984 and many Councils did so without decrimialised parking schemes for many years. The only extra power your council will now have is to enforce parking restrictions such as yellow lines, bus stops etc. Despite many false claims to the contrary this does not actually generate much income due to the high cost of enforcement and back office staff. The Council I work for makes a loss on enforcement alone and the deficit is made up from permit and paid for parking revenue.