• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bright House help please, ppi and dlc misssold.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5281 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

2ltre16valve By all means go ahead with your claim and i genuinely hope with come out on top, however i was just pointing out the pitfalls. The fact that OSC is really plastered all over the shops and that the PRICING TICKETS have two prices on them one with osc one without i would suggest a judge would find it hard to agree with you. As for Leftys other point you suprise me that you feel this could be their downfall. Again as stated previously the company feel very much that they can justify this as it is not just a warranty but gives much more cover than the normal warranty. Warrantys of all discriptions have always been a contentious issue and i have listened to many a debate on radio about them but they are still here.i have always said that the DLC issue would be more harmful to the company

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2ltre16valve By all means go ahead with your claim and i genuinely hope with come out on top, however i was just pointing out the pitfalls. The fact that OSC is really plastered all over the shops and that the PRICING TICKETS have two prices on them one with osc one without i would suggest a judge would find it hard to agree with you. As for Leftys other point you suprise me that you feel this could be their downfall. Again as stated previously the company feel very much that they can justify this as it is not just a warranty but gives much more cover than the normal warranty. Warrantys of all discriptions have always been a contentious issue and i have listened to many a debate on radio about them but they are still here.i have always said that the DLC issue would be more harmful to the company

OK, let's take a typical agreement spread over two years (104 weeks) with OSC added...

As you say, OSC is more than just a warranty - it has other benefits (alegedly!) mainly the provision to return an item, without financial penalty, if you need to. YOU CAN DO THIS ANYWAY AFTER HAVING PAID MORE THAN HALF OF THE AGREEMENT! So, after year one, you are being "charged" for a "service" that is already one of your rights under the Supply of Goods Act (Implied Terms) 1973.

And, as for the "warranty" side of it, new products are covered by a manufacturers warranty (which is in addition to your statutory rights) meaning, during both year one AND year two, you are being "charged" for a "service" that is already one of your rights under the Supply of Goods Act (Implied Terms) 1973.

OSC is absolutely WORTHLESS! Period!

And, I have noticed the way the word "optional" has gradually been disappearing from all point of sale literature just recently... :cool:

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

I wouldn't quit, and nor is the OP "ahead". He's hundreds of pounds out of pocket with OSC payments on a "policy" that was mis-sold. And, as for "not finding any evidence of being forced to take these products" as stated in the OP's letter simply means, "It's your word against ours, buster!"

I firmly believe that the issue of OSC is where BrightHouse will finally get their come-uppence in court. So keep fighting!

Cheers

Lefty

I sure will keep going :) was mis-sold simple :) @ £2.15 p/w I think, over 52 weeks thats over £100... for something the soga covers !

You mean let them off the hook,i think not

Would BH do that?

I dont think they would somehow.

OSC is not plastered all over the two shops I have been in, nor is it described as "Optional" either. Yes it is on the pricing tickets, but when I was present I made sure it was not on the contract ! when she was on her own she was not asked if she wanted either ! and knew no different until I checked.... Yea it does do much more, covers BH's contract so they get paid !

And, I have noticed the way the word "optional" has gradually been disappearing from all point of sale literature just recently... :cool:

Cheers

Lefty

It has indeed, as per my scan above... its mentioned ONCE in the whole leaflet... and certainly not on the front where the writing is LARGE ! = misleading

If you wernt asked then its missold is it not.

We all know they dont ask.I have five accounts with them and with the first one they told me that the OSC is the ONLY warranty on the good that they sell and on the other four accounts it was just added as a matter of course with no mention what so ever.

I must add that at that time i knew nothing of consumer law and thought why would a company lie.I now know different and have become a thorne in there side at the moment.

You must go on as its a useless cover that just serves to line BH pockets

If you wernt asked then its missold is it not.

We all know they dont ask.I have five accounts with them and with the first one they told me that the OSC is the ONLY warranty on the good that they sell and on the other four accounts it was just added as a matter of course with no mention what so ever.

I must add that at that time i knew nothing of consumer law and thought why would a company lie.I now know different and have become a thorne in there side at the moment.

You must go on as its a useless cover that just serves to line BH pockets

indeed, we shall go on :) just need to know what definite steps we should take now.

The fact they have sent you a letter with there final responce means that they will now ignore you unless you get heavy.

Report to FOS or LBA and then court.It will be the only course you can take now i think.History dictates that BH dont want to go to court.

Ok, So will LBA as found fos pretty useless as many other have. What would I put in the LBA as grounds etc ? could anyone help with a template please

Thanks

I know what you mean,FOS are soooooooooooooooooooo slow.

I cant help with wording of your next letter,you need someone far more articulate than me but what i will say and i am sure others will too is if you LBA them be prepared to follow through so to speak.

If you think you wont bother with court then dont LBA them.

Having said that i have every confidence you will take it to the end.

I know what you mean,FOS are soooooooooooooooooooo slow.

I cant help with wording of your next letter,you need someone far more articulate than me but what i will say and i am sure others will too is if you LBA them be prepared to follow through so to speak.

If you think you wont bother with court then dont LBA them.

Having said that i have every confidence you will take it to the end.

Have the court forms here already lol :)

LEFTY.Iwas'nt trying to justify theOSC i was just pointing out that this product of the business does'nt hold any fears for the company .has been about now for 16years and i am sure that the TRADING STANDARDS are well aware of it and no doubt you yourself may have braught it to their attention .If they have had any concerns they certainly haven't informed the company and this is a company who consider themselves to have a very good relationship with TRADING STANDARDS. There are other aspects of PSC .You can't hand your tv back to comet after a period ofsay 2/3 months and expect them to take it back .You cant ask them to pick up and hold your tv until you get back on your feet and start of were you finished .You would'nt get a loan of a tv of them when they take away your to be repaired.Its extras like these that give the company confidencein their product. 2LTRE16VALVE is at a dissadvantage right away inthat he/she signed the agreement form and signd the box were it highlights osc . The company in common with all big business can hire the best legal representation and it cost money to fight a court case and i sincerely hope he wins it

2LTRE16VALVE is at a dissadvantage right away inthat he/she signed the agreement form and signd the box were it highlights osc . The company in common with all big business can hire the best legal representation and it cost money to fight a court case and i sincerely hope he wins it

Not quite, there is NO box that highlights osc or even dlc at that ! there is only one signature.... yes there are two tiny... boxs with a tick in... does not say your agreeing to them, but the contract....

Hi, I tried to get my dlc removed but i have the wrong sort of home insurance..... they say i am not covered for 3rd party pay out direct to them is this correct?

Max

They tried this with us mate, and 6 months later proved them wrong and got more than to send us a letter and BH a letter stating that we are covered.... in effect, my insurer would replace any item... so the contract would not be affected with BH... if they could not replace the item they would pay the finance.

LEFTY.Iwas'nt trying to justify theOSC i was just pointing out that this product of the business does'nt hold any fears for the company .has been about now for 16years and i am sure that the TRADING STANDARDS are well aware of it and no doubt you yourself may have braught it to their attention .If they have had any concerns they certainly haven't informed the company and this is a company who consider themselves to have a very good relationship with TRADING STANDARDS. There are other aspects of PSC .You can't hand your tv back to comet after a period ofsay 2/3 months and expect them to take it back .You cant ask them to pick up and hold your tv until you get back on your feet and start of were you finished .You would'nt get a loan of a tv of them when they take away your to be repaired.Its extras like these that give the company confidencein their product. 2LTRE16VALVE is at a dissadvantage right away inthat he/she signed the agreement form and signd the box were it highlights osc . The company in common with all big business can hire the best legal representation and it cost money to fight a court case and i sincerely hope he wins it

The product is rubbish but the issue is not so much as what it does but how its sold.

Most people and until recently that included me know nothing of consumer law and sevice contracts and BH know this.Forget the so called training and the sit down and explain the product rubbish as this dont happen.Get them to sign for as much as you can get away with seems to be the norm.

Although it pains me to say this,to be fair its not only BH that do this,just look at the big institutions and the PPI con.

I have my own thread so am not highjacking this one but as an example BH told me that the products they sell dont have manufactures warranty because BH have so much buying power that they buy without.Now i am an electrician and what BH said to me sounded feasable,why not,it makes sense,they must buy loads of stuff and they are very helpful in here so were do i sign.They must have been laughing for a week when i left.

Its like a infection through the whole outfit and thats the problem.

Sorry,rant over.

My insurance company wont pay them direct they will pay me if i make a claim, so BH said this not acceptable cover, it has to pay them direct....so i have to have it ??

Are they moving the goal post so far you cant reach them?

Will insurance companies pay a third party for contents?

Even car insurance is paid to the person claiming even if its not you if you know what i mean.

yeh they have moved the goal post,now ive bought it in, i said the contract is between me and you and were i to claim i would simply pay off the debt... they said i cant do that. They want paying direct..... they told me other insurance companys have this cover, wasn`t sure if they were pulling my chain or not :confused: but i no wat you mean !

yeh they have moved the goal post,now ive bought it in, i said the contract is between me and you and were i to claim i would simply pay off the debt... they said i cant do that. They want paying direct..... they told me other insurance companys have this cover, wasn`t sure if they were pulling my chain or not :confused: but i no wat you mean !

Pretty sure they are talking crad mate ! for the simple reason of, my insurance will pay me out.. or replace the item, then I clear the debt. What matters is the item is covered and would be paid for. I had to get a letter from my insurer, they even faxed a copy to BH as they were trying to argue it with me.... If you can cancel yours if they really do not provide cover for hp items in the way BH (think bh are lieing here).... then go to morethan.... :) who I am with.

I had to go through head office and make a complaint to get ours taken off that should of been done in Jan/Feb time.... ! keep at them mate.

Pretty sure they are talking crad mate ! for the simple reason of, my insurance will pay me out.. or replace the item, then I clear the debt. What matters is the item is covered and would be paid for. I had to get a letter from my insurer, they even faxed a copy to BH as they were trying to argue it with me.... If you can cancel yours if they really do not provide cover for hp items in the way BH (think bh are lieing here).... then go to morethan.... :) who I am with.

I had to go through head office and make a complaint to get ours taken off that should of been done in Jan/Feb time.... ! keep at them mate.

Will do, i wont let this rest if they are in the wrong !!!!! :cool:

Will do, i wont let this rest if they are in the wrong !!!!! :cool:

As I say mate, get onto head office if the store are talking out their back end... seems thats all they are trained to do in store once you have signed ! found they are full of s....! once you sign your agreement.

I refused to make any payments until they pulled their fingers out each others back ends, that was the Saturday... got a grovelling phone call the Monday to go and sort things out :)

I have spoke with my insurance company after being told the same thing Madmax.. my insurance company will not payout to a 3rd party, only to me.. so im a bit stuck also.. Head office have said exactly the same thing as what instore told me..

If this is the case are they engineering the situation to force you into there over price one sided cover,it seems like it to me.

Until we can provide proof that the insurance company will pay direct to them then we have to take out DLC.. I HATE paying it, luckily our contents insurance is up for renewal next month and i have seen from previous threads Tesco insurance will payout.

Until we can provide proof that the insurance company will pay direct to them then we have to take out DLC.. I HATE paying it, luckily our contents insurance is up for renewal next month and i have seen from previous threads Tesco insurance will payout.

I would make an official complaint mate, my insurance WONT pay BH direct, I dont think any would ! their customer is you, not BH... so they would pay you, and you would need to pay BH.

The other point is, the insurance are more than likely to replace the item... thus the contract continues as normal ! I bet BH have not covered this.