• Tweets

• Paragraph 18 – you are still talking about Boston stolen items. About time this was fixed??? Paragraph 19  In any event, the claimant's PS5 gaming device was correctly declared and correctly valued. The defendant accepted it for carriage and was even prepared to earn extra money by selling sell insurance in case of its loss or damage. New paragraph 20 – this the defendant routinely sells insurance in respect of "no compensation" items (a secondary contract contrary to section 72 CRA 2015) new paragraph above paragraph 20 – the defendant purports to limit its liability in respect of lost or damaged items. This is contrary to section 57 of the consumer rights act 2015. The defendant offers to extend their liability if their customer purchases an insurance cover for an extra sum of money. This insurance is a secondary contract calculated to exclude or limit their liability for the defendants contractual breaches and is contrary to section 72 of the consumer rights act 2015. New paragraph below paragraph 42 – the defendant merely relies on "standard industry practice" You haven't pointed to the place in your bundle of the Telegraph newspaper extract. You have to jiggle the paragraphs around. Even though I have suggested new paragraph numbers, the order I have suggested is on your existing version 5. You will have to work it out for your next version. Good luck!   Let's see version 6 Separately, would you be kind enough to send me an unredacted to me at our admin email address.
    • UK travellers have been turned away at airports because their passports are not valid for EU travel.View the full article
    • i think theres been MORE than amble evidence of that and am astonished that criminal proceedings haven't begun.
    • Yep, those 'requirements' not met to shareholders satisfaction seem to me to be: 1. Not being allowed to increase customer bills by 40% (of which well over 50% of the new total would NOT be investment) 2. 1 plus regulators not agreeing to letting them do 'things in their own time (ie carry on regardless)
    • As already mentioned freely available "credit scores" are fairly useless. All lenders have their own "credit scoring" system, that for obvious reasons they don't divulge. And they're "scored" differently to the freely available ones. As soon as they could, we've always encouraged our two children to use credit cards responsibly... Pay off in full, etc, to generate good history. It's paid off. At quite young ages, they have both obtained loans for cars, mortgage and their credit card limits are through the roof. Personally, I have shifted debt around a lot on credit cards (even financed a house purchase once at 0% 😉) and I've only ever been refused a credit card once, sorry twice by the same company, over many years. They must have something very different in their lending criteria. You're a tight one, Mr Branson.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Bright House help please, ppi and dlc misssold.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5259 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

My partner took out two agreements with Brighthouse, first on 19/12/08 for a xbox 360 elite pack. The second on 18/02/09 for a Nintendo Ds pack.

On the first agreement we was told because we did not have our insurance with us we had to take out the ppi and dlc, this could be removed after first payment.

My partner took our contents insurance into the store late Janurary 08 and the store said they would remove the cover. They did not..!

When my partner took out the second agreement, she again was told that she had to take these covers and they would be removed... again she believed them and signed.. even though she had already shown them our insurance policy.

What can we do here ? I have just called the customer care line and basically been told that because she has signed the agreement shes bound by it.... they will refer it to the area manager.

We have in my eyes been miss sold these extras that we did not need or want. We were led to believe that the osc and dlc were an integral part in obtaining the contract... that we would not be given the contact with out these.

What can we do ? :-?

Edited by 2ltr16valve

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just spoken to BH regional manager on the phone and hes basiclly said that because she has signed the agreement, she has to pay the dlc/osc to date and he will not refund it ! his stance is "she signed, she should of read from front to back before"

NOW ! when the staff member was going through the contract at no time did she say we had the choice to take out dlc or osc or not... she said we had to take these out.

Also, when my partner took out contents insurance cert and policy into the BH store there is no record of her doing so ! surprise surprise... they also apparently called my insurance company on the day while my partner was there but there is no record of this with more than, even so more than would not of spoken with them due to data protection.

Come on people really need to know what to do here ? Do I issue a claim, Do I contact head office and go higher ? (this is where this manager is).

Really at a loss here, Also since my partner signed these agreements she has been diagnosed with severe dyslexia... so would not of fully understood what she was signing anyway....... I was with her when she sighed the first agreement but not the second. Here is a break down of what I have worked out so far.

xbox agreement start date 19/12/08

weeks to date = 41 to 02/10/09

41 x 0.97 = £39.77

ds agreement start date 18/02/09

weeks to date = 33 to 07/10/09

osc @£2.45 +

dlc @£1.05

= £3.50 pw

33 x £3.50 = £115.50

total. = £39.77 +

£115.50

=£155.27p @ 07/10/09 (a little in front)

21ltr16valve. Here's what i would do .Take my home contents insurance into shop show them that you were covered for the goods at the time ,as for osc their agreemnent states that you give them 7DAY notice to cancel osc. if they refuse to refund you then i would tell them i am now going into dispute with you re this account .They have created the problem they must resolve it .Tell them you have no intentions of paying this account til they have sorted it out and if need be for them to take you to court . They will definately not take court action if an account is in dispute .What you have been told by the reg manager is absolute rot and i don't know what he is hoping to achieve as i would bet my house on it if you stand firm he wad the shop will back down .they should never have put you in this position in the 1st place and they fine well know this padre

21ltr16valve. Here's what i would do .Take my home contents insurance into shop show them that you were covered for the goods at the time ,as for osc their agreemnent states that you give them 7DAY notice to cancel osc. if they refuse to refund you then i would tell them i am now going into dispute with you re this account .They have created the problem they must resolve it .Tell them you have no intentions of paying this account til they have sorted it out and if need be for them to take you to court . They will definately not take court action if an account is in dispute .What you have been told by the reg manager is absolute rot and i don't know what he is hoping to achieve as i would bet my house on it if you stand firm he wad the shop will back down .they should never have put you in this position in the 1st place and they fine well know this padre

Thanks for the info mate.

I was also told my this manager that the staff do not have to give us ANY details of who they are because of The data protection act... ! WTF !! lol

Things escalated a little today.

I wrote up a letter for my partner to hand deliver today, which we have done. We took the letter to our store and another store we want the account transferred to. The store we are transferring to, signed a piece of paper to say they had received the letter... the store we are leaving out right refused to sign the piece of paper.

Here is a copy of the letter sent

Bright House

XXXXX

XXXXX

XXXXX

XXXXX

BY HAND

Copied to, Bright House XXXXXXX Store.

Tuesday, 06 October 2009

Subject: Notification to change contract to the XXXXXXX Store with immediate effect and cancellation of DLC and OSC with immediate effect.

To the store manager,

I am contacting you today to ask that my account be transferred to the XXXXXXX store with immediate effect. My reasons for this are, a previous incident that occurred with your store and it is easier for me to pay and deal with the XXXXXXX store as I travel through XXXXXXX daily. I have spoken with Mr JXXXXX XXXX on the phone, on 05/10/2009 who advised this would be acted upon.

I would like this done with immediate effect.

My account details are;

Agreement number: XXXXXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXXX

Yours Faithfully

Miss XXXXXX XXXXXX

telephone number

CC. Bright House, XXX XXX XXXXXXX XXXXXx XXXX XXX

And this is the piece of paper we wanted signed

Delivery receipt of “Subject: Notification to change contract to the XXXXXXX Store with immediate effect and cancellation of DLC and OSC with immediate effect.”

Dated: Tuesday, 06 October 2009.

I agree that I have received a copy of the above letter on (date) _______________

At, Bright House, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Signed ____________________________________

Print _____________________________________

I agree that I have received a copy of the above letter on (date) _______________

At, Bright House, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxx

Signed ____________________________________

Print _____________________________________

Many thanks

SXXXXXX XXXXXX

Also, my partner has been paying at the store we wish to transfer to for 11 weeks, as we understand it we need to pay there for 12 weeks in order for the account to be transferred.... the Assistant manager at the store we are leaving told my partner she HAD to pay there this week..... thus breaking the 12 week time.

This Assistant Manager also said that the DLC is needed by LAW if you do not have your own insurance.... ? can anyone confirm or deny this with proof please.

She was also very rude, as per usual in our experience.... ! and refereed to me as the "Monkey" saying "I am talking to the organ grinder not the monkey" While snarling at me...

So on this basis I want to request copy of the CCTV evidence in support of my complaint... how would I do this ?

What DO we do now ? please :(

Thanks

Edited by 2ltr16valve

2ltr16valve. Once again complete rot on the two points. It's your prerogative as to were you want your account to be .If you want it transferred to another shop then there is no such rule as to waiting 12 weeks .Managers are loathe to transfer accounts out as it means they are under pressure to replace the monthly amount that you pay (Monthly Dues as they call them) Once again simply tell them that they must transfer your account as you want nothing to do with them .IF they give you trouble ask for h.o. number this should resolve it. AS LONG AS YOUR ACCOUNT IS UP TO DATE.The other point regarding dlc its not law at all but as above its their prerogative to sell you their goods without insurance ,which they won't do PADRE

As for your final point cctv in shops are only visual there is no sound , PADRE

Thought as much :( how would I go about getting a copy of the recording ? as it will show proof of how she was gesturing and snarling at me.

Thanks

I thought,but may be wrong,that with cctv there should be a sign saying who operates the system and who is resposable for it with a contact number.

Just a thought

Thats what I thought, but did not see any signs relating to the cctv at all.. yet cameras are deffo there.

Update.

Had a phone call from More Than this morning, a very nice lady who I got through to last night just before she finished... as I was trying to get them to email BrightHouse... they could not do this but could fax, but I did not have a fax number. Tried to get hold of BH but were shut.

I gave this lady at More Than the number I had for Customer Relations and she called them this morning and is faxing them proof we are covered for HP items.

So... thats one thing proven now.

My partner remembered yesterday that when she took our insurance into store the payment she made was minus bh's insurance..... and every other payment has been with it.... If I sar them, we would have proof of the date then at which my partner took the insurance into them as would show a reduced payment... or would this not hold up/work ?

Also, the Customer Relations manager is looking into the complaint now. Just waiting for them to get back to me now.

Think with only till the 18/12 left on one agreement I will clear it early.... although, if bh decide to refund the dlc/osc would they refund it to us directly ? or only apply it to the account ?

Thanks again. forum is a great resource, shall be donating soon once I get my money next week :)

Right people,

Been in contact with customer relations as above.

The account is being transfered to the other store next Saturday (17/10/09)... and they are going to remove the bits from the agreement.

What I want to know, is they say they can not amend the agreement to reflect all payments made... that it will just show the amount remaining and the amount of payments left ? is this right.

What do we have to ensure is on the new agreement etc ?

Many thanks

The payments you have made will not be shown BUT the amount remaining to pay should reflect how much you have already paid. Make sure that they don't re-set it back to x amount of weeks (I.E. if it was a 104 week agreement, make sure they don't put it back to that). It should basically show how much you have left to pay, and the same weeks left to pay it as you have now.

Just so you know - if you bought the item as new, on the new agreement it will show as re-furbished or used......I argued this with them to no avail as it's the computer that automatically recognises the item as used. They did assure me that it would not affect any of my rights though (I haven't had to test it yet).

Cheers for the reply, My better half has just informed me that in fact the xbox elite has "USED" on the original agreement, when we did not ask for a "USED" unit but a "NEW" one ! Surely again this is miss selling ?

Was in box in full packaging etc, ?

You can double check this with them, but they should have pointed this out before you signed. I don't think there is much you can do about it as it was signed for, but it is always worth bringing it up with them. It depends how long you have had the xbox....

You can double check this with them, but they should have pointed this out before you signed. I don't think there is much you can do about it as it was signed for, but it is always worth bringing it up with them. It depends how long you have had the xbox....

Nearly a year, the agreements were just filled away until the recent problems. Now was not pointed out to us, as we asked for a new console as was told we would receive a new console :( yet the paperwork says otherwise, yet again.

Right !

Since waiting on a call back from BH from last week, when told that they will contact us that day or the following.... = no phone call ! surprise surprise.

Just called the contact I had, who was nice as pie to begin with and now is being very arrogant and saying "for gods sake" on the phone under her breath !

Was told they will refund the DLC .... but WONT refund the OSC... stating again, partner signed the agreement..... does not mean she requested it though does it ! GRRRR Say they are going to send a cheque for the dlc amount.

How do we go about the OSC now ? Not going to swallow the "she signed it" crad ! Not only were the agreements signed before my partner was diagnosed with Severe dyslexia and understanding difficulties... she had problems processing things she reads and is easily influenced.

Also, BH's defence was "we have mystery shoppers... the store you have problems with has 100% record with this" .... yea, with forewarning I would think...

So, do we have anything we can force their hand with people ?

Ty again

Tell them you will go down the mis-sold route (like you would with PPI) which means possible court action and a further 8% interest added to what they owe you. Make it clear that you were told you HAD to have the OSC in order to get the goods, which you have now found out to be untrue. Keep at them, and if needs be send a letter before action.

Tell them you will go down the mis-sold route (like you would with PPI) which means possible court action and a further 8% interest added to what they owe you. Make it clear that you were told you HAD to have the OSC in order to get the goods, which you have now found out to be untrue. Keep at them, and if needs be send a letter before action.

Thanks for the reply.

what is funny, is how they will refund the insurance which does not really work in their favour.. yet the osc that does they wont... ! the dlc works out around £2 pw from both contracts ... but the dlc works out at over £2 pw on just the one... the first contract I was present for and made them take it off... the second I was not and partner tells me she was not asked if she wanted it nor told it was on there...

So that is your argument with them then. Tell them that you refused it on one as you know it to be a waste of money, but your partner was not told about it at all! If you were there it would not have been added either. Just keep pushing - they will and do back down......eventually :)

Had a written reply today from them with a cheque for the dlc... but Nothing for the osc...

This is the letter (2 pages)

brighthouseletterfinal161009.jpg

Page 2.

brighthouseletter161009page2.jpg

Now, pay attention to the paragraph about OSC .... then look at this in store advertising.... I picked this up today from in store.

oscleafletnotsooptionalfront.jpg

oscleafletnotsooptionalback.jpg

Now on the front of that it does not say OPTIONAL... yet in little letters on the back, this is far from clear is it !

Furthermore.... we went to the new store today to make payment as we were told to, and after receiving the letter above believing the account was transferred.... for the store manager to pick the phone up and call the person we have had nothing but trouble with at our original store... at which point I asked what he was doing. He said the account had not been transferred ! So we refused to pay and said we are going to put the account in dispute regarding the osc...

can we do this ?

What is our course of action now people ? Is it lba and account in dispute letters ?

?action=view&current=brighthouseletterfinal161009.jpg

Refusing to pay will just incur you charges, but if you are willing to except them then I would contact Head Office (again) and explain that the account has not been transferred as they have stated etc., etc. I'm not sure if Brighthouse will accept this as a good reason to refuse payment though, as you can pay at any store, without dealing with the one you want to leave.

It took me a few weeks to get the account moved AND you have to sign new paperwork with the new store - so read them carefully! Make sure they do not put the policies back on etc.

As for an LBA - you can do this to make them realise you are serious and give all the reasons you can as to why this was mis-sold.

2ltre16valve. i would quit while you are ahead. There are OSC notices all over the shops and certainly on the PRICING TICKETS. You have cancelled the osc so i would let it go as i am sure it would be almost impossible to prove that you did'nt know about this cover PADRE .PS Clemma were has the "im back" thread gone t.?????

2ltre16valve. i would quit while you are ahead. There are OSC notices all over the shops and certainly on the PRICING TICKETS. You have cancelled the osc so i would let it go as i am sure it would be almost impossible to prove that you did'nt know about this cover PADRE .PS Clemma were has the "im back" thread gone t.?????

I wouldn't quit, and nor is the OP "ahead". He's hundreds of pounds out of pocket with OSC payments on a "policy" that was mis-sold. And, as for "not finding any evidence of being forced to take these products" as stated in the OP's letter simply means, "It's your word against ours, buster!"

I firmly believe that the issue of OSC is where BrightHouse will finally get their come-uppence in court. So keep fighting!

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

You mean let them off the hook,i think not

Would BH do that?