Jump to content

dont know my rights or what i can do please help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4283 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

hi everyone, i realy hope someone here can help


i moved in about 7 months ago with my partner, his home was rented through local housing


we have split up and he has moved out and left me in the house with my 5year old daughter.


my name is not on the tenancy, i have contacted the housing people that own the house they are sending a lady out to go through situation with me and to get me to sign some quitting notice that means i have to be out in four weeks.


i have contacted my local council and told them everything and have sent of forms to be rehoused, they have told me not to sign anything from the housing group that own the home unless its a tenancy so i can stay there


but everytime i speak to council they tell me different things like a man said yesterday to sign the form but i am so worried that i will be on the street at the end of month, the lady is due to come out tuesday, then i have to phone council to inform them of new info


i have managed to raise £1200 to rent private but i dont work so i cant even get a flat through a letting agency, i really dont know what to do or who to turn to, i only have 2 family members near me within 20 miles.


also the man at the local council said i may not get help as i dont have a family network in area? he is the only person to have said that to me, which has now made me worry even more.


i cant even find a private landlord to rent a place from as its all estate agents.


can someone please help me and advise me as i really cant take this and am feeling ill just typing this as i am so worried about my daughter and me being homeless and losing all my belongings i have in this house


thanks for reading and please help me if you can

Link to post
Share on other sites

Speak to shelter, good for this sort of advice. Defo dont sign anything! Why wont they let you stay if you can pay the rent,OK they may have to do some checks etc. Stay put for the time being and dont pay any rent unless they say you can stay. you may need your money later. it will take them ages to get you out.

Link to post
Share on other sites



have spoken to council again i have a appointment next friday and have to take in any paperwork the housing people bring out tuesday and they made sure to tell me not to sign anything at all as they cant help me if i make myself homeless which i would be if i sign a quit letter from housing owners


i dont think there is anymore i can do now but wait for them to come out tuesday and then go for appointment friday with council so they can try to rehouse me or sort something out with the housing group that own this house but to be honest i would rather just move as it seems the ex has debt and their knowcking on this door and i cant be doing with that either since its nothing to do with me


any other comments or help would be appreciated and i will be back next week to let you know what did or is happening, thanks again great site!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

My Council's policy is:


In order to accept a duty to rehouse you we have to be sure of four things:

1. You are eligible for assistance - I think this relates to people subject to immigration control

2. You are homeless or threatened with homelessness within 28 days

3. You are in priority need

4. You are not intentionally homeless.


Priority need depends on you or a member of your household being one or more of the following:

a) a pregnant woman

b) a dependant child

c) vulnerable as a result of old age, mental illness or handicap, physical disability or other special reason

d) homeless or threatened with homelessness as a result of an emergency such as flood, fire or other disaster.


They don't seem to turn you down for not having a local connection but applicants that have been living in the borough for the last 2 years will get extra points allocated to their case.


Not sure if your Council's policy would be exactly the same. Take a look at their website as the lettings policy is often published.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...