• Tweets

• the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
    • Regarding a driver, that HAS paid for parking but input an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number.   This is an easy mistake to make, especially if a driver has access to more than one vehicle. First of all, upon receiving an NTK/PCN it is important to check that the Notice fully complies with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 before deciding how to respond of course. The general advice is NOT to appeal to the Private Parking Company as, for example, you may identify yourself as driver and in certain circumstances that could harm your defence at a later stage. However, after following a recent thread on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that, in the case of inputting an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number, which is covered by “de minimis” it may actually HARM your defence at a later stage if you have not appealed to the PPC at the first appeal stage and explained that you DID pay for parking and CAN provide proof of parking, it was just that an incorrect VRN was input in error. Now, we all know that the BPA Code of Practice are guidelines from one bunch of charlatans for another bunch of charlatans to follow, but my thoughts are that there could be problems in court if a judge decides that a motorist has not followed these guidelines and has not made an appeal at the first appeal stage, therefore attempting to resolve the situation before it reaches court. From BPA Code of Practice: Section 17:  Keying Errors B) Major Keying Errors Examples of a major keying error could include: • Motorist entered their spouse’s car registration • Motorist entered something completely unrelated to their registration • Motorist made multiple keying errors (beyond one character being entered incorrectly) • Motorist has only entered a small part of their VRM, for example the first three digits In these instances we would expect that such errors are dealt with appropriately at the first appeal stage, especially if it can be proven that the motorist has paid for the parking event or that the motorist attempted to enter their VRM or were a legitimate user of the car park (eg a hospital patient or a patron of a restaurant). It is appreciated that in issuing a PCN in these instances, the operator will have incurred charges including but not limited to the DVLA fee and other processing costs therefore we believe that it is reasonable to seek to recover some of these costs by making a modest charge to the motorist of no more than £20 for a 14-day period from when the keying error was identified before reverting to the charge amount at the point of appeal. Now, we know that the "modest charge" is unenforceable in law, however, it would be up to the individual if they wanted to pay and make the problem go away or in fact if they wanted to contest the issue in court. If the motorist DOES appeal to the PPC explaining the error and the PPC rejects the appeal and the appeal fails, the motorist can use that in his favour at court.   Defence: "I entered the wrong VRN by mistake Judge, I explained this and I also submitted proof of payment for the relevant parking period in my appeal but the PPC wouldn't accept that"   If the motorist DOES NOT appeal to the PPC in the first instance the judge may well use that as a reason to dismiss the case in the claimant's favour because they may decide that they had the opportunity to resolve the matter at a much earlier stage in the proceedings. It is my humble opinion that a motorist, having paid and having proof of payment but entering the wrong VRN, should make an appeal at the first appeal stage in order to prevent problems at a later stage. In this instance, I think there is nothing to be gained by concealing the identity of the driver, especially if at a later stage, perhaps in court, it is said: “I (the driver) entered the wrong VRN.” Whether you agree or not, it is up to the individual to decide …. but worth thinking about. Any feedback, especially if you can prove to the contrary, gratefully received.
    • Women-only co-working spaces are part of the new hybrid working landscape, but they divide opinion.View the full article
    • The music streaming service reports record profits of over €1bn (£860m) after laying off 1500 staff.View the full article
    • deed?  you mean consent order you and her signed? concluding the case as long as you nor she break it's conditions signed upto? dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

MBNA - how to go about court order for no CCA pls?

clairemp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5214 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Eyup.

I've been corresponding with Gail Powell, MBNA Customer Services Vice-President, over my CCA request - the CCA hasn't been provided at all within either the statutory 12 days or the further allowable 30 days (first asked in July). I submitted to the Ombudsman who's directed me to apply for a court order as unenforceable. Does anyone know of/have any template Particulars of Claim for applying for said court order? As there's no CCA, I also want to start the process of then applying for my bank charges and missold PPI back. Not sure if best to apply for court order to get it declared unenforceable first, or if okay to start the claim for bank charges/PPI back at the same time, or if to do one court claim for all three things?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Ta.

Claire

Hi,

Itd be worthwile complaining to Trading Standards regarding MBNAs failure to respond to your CCA request. If you want to take the court route have a read of the link below on CPR31.16 -

PT's 31.16 thread

and see the result -

** ORDER TO PRODUCE CCA CPR31.16 WIN ***

You could also try a SAR to flush out the original agreement.

It wont do you any harm to start the PPI/charges reclaim process (send LBAs) but i think (although im not sure) this would need to be a seperate court claim.

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

Hey

Thanks muchly for your tips.

I've been trucking on working through the guidance. So I've complained to the Office of Fair Trading (who said they'd keep it on file because they need quite a few complaints about one firm to reach a certain threshold before they intervene, ho hum) and they sent me to the FOS. I've also complained to the Informationer Commissioners Office but not heard anything as yet.

The FOS response has specifically said it has to be a court order because MBNA have admitted they received the request but then failed to produce. As they haven't produced anything at all (never mind claiming it's not executable), then I need to apply for a court order. So I have no choice about taking the court route: that's the 'how to' bit I'm short on.

Given that they've already broken the '12 statutory days/extra 30 days default', it's not that I want them to now produce the damn thing which if there's an order for disclosure, would give them the opportunity to sidestep their own non-compliance and suddenly go 'hey presto'.

I think my concern about the PPI/charges is that I don't want them to say 'well, we'll knock it off what you owe us' when the whole point of their not producing it makes it wholly unenforceable and then theoretically the court order says so and the debt gets written off... And then I chase the PPI and charges ??! :p Think will wait on that one until have no debt to the beggars.

Cheers again,

Claire

Hi Claire

Just to say that I've been battling with MBNA since early May. They did not comply in the 14 days, nor the 30, nor the following month-but suddenly, after nearly 5 months of ignoring all my letters they have sent me what they deem to be the 'agreement'- a grainy photocopy of the tear off slip of an application. They now consdier themselves to be in compliance.

Just thought I'd point out that they quite often take many months to respond in any way to your CCA request.

MB

Hey folks

Well, it turns out that though the Ombudsman told me that they had no jurisdiction they DID tell MBNA to send me the CCA - so the b*gg*rs now have sent me it. And yep, months afterwards but still saying 'just an admin mistake, underlying agreement would still be valid without our providing it'. Not entirely sure what the point of the Ombudsman giving them more time to find it is; when the legalities of statutory timescales are totally clear and that's why they can't deny they broke the law. They take the opportunity to say the Ombudsman had no jurisdiction over them, it's a legal matter. Plus it's all dated 14th/30th September and postage stamp says different.

If, as you point out, MBNA's tactic is to produce these well out of time and then just act as if that's okay, is everybody then waiting til MBNA take them to court? Do I now just have to wait until MBNA passes it to a debt collection agency/starts legal proceedings, when I could really do without this hanging over me. I can see text for a court claim (is a court claim the same as asking for a court order? arrgh, HELP!!:eek:) about the prescribed terms/improperly executed but nothing which starts at the fact they didn't comply when they acknowledged they'd had it. Surely, that's the main focus of my application for court order, then IF the court says 'well, hey, swing the law, you've got it now', I challenge the enforceability?

But to the 'CCA' response itself. 'CCA' and application form.

Application form has subheading 'credit agreement regulated' etc. The application form has my signature and date 9/11/98, no box for an actual signature from MBNA, but does have an illegible scrawl and date stamp 26/1/99 (ie. over two months after my date). It also has a handwritten set of numbers which I don't recognise. No prescribed terms on front: the second page of the application form has financial & related information with a box for my previous address which is handfilled in. No default charges on the application form financial information. Say they'll choose to vary the credit limit (so no credit limit at all), APR table rather than interest rate, how minimum payments will be calculated. In the bit above the box for my signature (with no room for theirs), it says 'I have received a copy of and agree to be bound by the MBNA credit card terms and conditions'. When this is an application form... No right to cancel. Reference number on front, not on back.

What they have provided as a CCA, the cover letter refers to as the most recent terms and conditions (ie. not the ones which would have been current in 1998 when I took the card out). Neither the creditor's nor the debtor's signature is not on what they say is the CCA, ie. not on the same document in any which way, not even a pretence of it. Blank mailer, no signatures on the mailer at all, no space for them even. No date on it at all (nor proof in any way that I've seen this which, by the way, I haven't). This lovely, blank, supposed CCA has my current address on when I was at a different address when I took out the card - as per the application form. So I would assume if they're claiming that this is a revised CCA with the correct/new address on it, it would have to be signed by both parties? So it's unexecuted and therefore unenforceable. Says they'll choose to vary the credit limit (so no credit limit at all), interest rate 'variable', how minimum repayment is calculated.

So, in terms of deciding enforceability: the application form doesn't have both signatures and not all the prescribed terms on second page; the blank CCA is actually 'current terms and conditions', has no signatures at all, prescribed terms not complete. Not on same document.

I'll fire off a letter confirming that this has been provided out of time, but is in any case unexecuted. But any guidance would be welcome, especially about how I go about applying for a court order and any text I could use.

Thanks again.

Cheers, Claire

If, as you point out, MBNA's tactic is to produce these well out of time and then just act as if that's okay, is everybody then waiting til MBNA take them to court?

Looking around this site, the answer seems to be 'yes'. I'm not keen to wait either and very much want to bring action against MBNA before they come for me. They are 100% in the wrong here, not me. I'm desperate to turn the situationa round so that the actual gulity party is feeling the heat, not me.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey

Just had a very dispiriting telephone conversation with West Yorkshire Trading Standards to whom I complained about MBNA's enforcement action whilst they've failed to comply.

I've been using the templates off CAG in dealing with MBNA and reading through the guidance which has informed my understanding of the CCA. Trading Standards say that:

(1) it's no longer an offence for any financial company to fail to comply with a CCA request within 12+30 days under Repeals and Revocations in Schedule 4 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 which came into force on 26/5/08. So the timescales mean nothing, and it's therefore no wonder that they don't send you anything at all but carry on harassing you while they're not complying.

(2) With regard to taking enforcement action while they're in breach by not sending you the CCA, it's only a breach which 'would not be looked upon favourably'. I then referred to the Credit Services Association's code, the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations (CPUTR) 2008 and the OFT's guidelines on debt collection unfair methods, saying that my understanding was that failing to comply with a code of conduct to which you have subscribed is unfair trading. The response was they could only ask the company to explain its actions and it would be a breach, but one which would not require them to put it right. So they're allowed to register a default and harass you, and if you're lucky they only get a slap on the wrist which doesn't resolve the situation?!! How is this remotely protecting the consumer from unfair trading/unfair contract terms? (By the way, WY Trading Standards' response is that they enact the law whether it's fair or not and should be picked up with your local MP...)

(3) While it's true they can't enforce an agreement without a true copy, it can apparently be a reconstituted copy which doesn't have to be signed or dated (under Consumer Credit Cancellation Notices and Copies of Document Regulations 1983). It doesn't matter if it doesn't have your signature and date (because they've never sent it to me) and they can claim it IS a true copy reconstituted without providing the original to compare it to or prove I ever saw this. So they CAN send me my application form without their corresponding signature or date and these blank terms and conditions which may or may not be anywhere near the same, and this would be considered both compliance with the legislation AND an enforceable agreement.

This seems to be to be opposite to all the CAG guidance and templates. Now the documentation I've got from any of the credit companies don't have both signatures on and my understanding was that this was an absolute; if they want to enforce the agreement, they must provide a true original copy with both signatures on it. How can you prove it's not enforceable, and conversely the company prove it IS enforceable, without having to comply with the absolute minimums?

So, they don't have to provide the original copy AND don't need to provide a copy with signatures or prescribed terms, even if they are relying on those documents to prove enforceability. I know that not providing a true copy/complying with the CCA doesn't mean that the alleged debt itself doesn't exist, but surely it has to be proved somehow? They can just whip up an A4 terms and conditions which makes it enforceable, never send to to me or get my signature, not even date it, and then use that to prove a contractual agreement?

Trading Standards say I can send evidence of their enforcement actions and prove they breached the guidance and code, but if they only then ask the company to explain its actions and don't even take any action, why is it remotely worth my time and effort? It's not even a midge up against an elephant in terms of MBNA giving a darn or putting it right.

Can someone please explain the discrepancy between the templates and the legislation? Where is the protection for the individual consumer in all this? I'm loathe to carry on with using the templates for my other credit companies if they're wrong or I've misunderstood.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

Claire

Hey

Just had a very dispiriting telephone conversation with West Yorkshire Trading Standards to whom I complained about MBNA's enforcement action whilst they've failed to comply.

Cheers

Claire

That's odd, Oxfordshire TS and Cheshire TS are cooperating to help me extract my CCA from MBNA. They agree completely with the position established on CAG and have put this in writing to both me and MBNA. I believe this to be one of the most valuable documents that I have should I need to produce in Court.

MB

That's odd, Oxfordshire TS and Cheshire TS are cooperating to help me extract my CCA from MBNA. They agree completely with the position established on CAG and have put this in writing to both me and MBNA. I believe this to be one of the most valuable documents that I have should I need to produce in Court.

MB

Would it be possible for you to share this document MeeBroke? :) My local TS wont touch this issue.

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

Hi Haggis

I have been reading the advise that you have given to Claire during her early stages of an appeal and was hoping to find someone on a forum such as this to give me a little advise too.

I have just payed out a sum of money to a solicitor to start the ball rolling for a claim against unfair interest charges from MBNA on credit cards dating back to March 2007

Hey

I've been using the templates off CAG in dealing with MBNA and reading through the guidance which has informed my understanding of the CCA. Trading Standards say that:

(1) it's no longer an offence for any financial company to fail to comply with a CCA request within 12+30 days under Repeals and Revocations in Schedule 4 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 which came into force on 26/5/08. So the timescales mean nothing, and it's therefore no wonder that they don't send you anything at all but carry on harassing you while they're not complying.

(2) With regard to taking enforcement action while they're in breach by not sending you the CCA, it's only a breach which 'would not be looked upon favourably'. I then referred to the Credit Services Association's code, the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations (CPUTR) 2008 and the OFT's guidelines on debt collection unfair methods, saying that my understanding was that failing to comply with a code of conduct to which you have subscribed is unfair trading. The response was they could only ask the company to explain its actions and it would be a breach, but one which would not require them to put it right. So they're allowed to register a default and harass you, and if you're lucky they only get a slap on the wrist which doesn't resolve the situation?!! How is this remotely protecting the consumer from unfair trading/unfair contract terms? (By the way, WY Trading Standards' response is that they enact the law whether it's fair or not and should be picked up with your local MP...)

(3) While it's true they can't enforce an agreement without a true copy, it can apparently be a reconstituted copy which doesn't have to be signed or dated (under Consumer Credit Cancellation Notices and Copies of Document Regulations 1983). It doesn't matter if it doesn't have your signature and date (because they've never sent it to me) and they can claim it IS a true copy reconstituted without providing the original to compare it to or prove I ever saw this. So they CAN send me my application form without their corresponding signature or date and these blank terms and conditions which may or may not be anywhere near the same, and this would be considered both compliance with the legislation AND an enforceable agreement.

This seems to be to be opposite to all the CAG guidance and templates. Now the documentation I've got from any of the credit companies don't have both signatures on and my understanding was that this was an absolute; if they want to enforce the agreement, they must provide a true original copy with both signatures on it. How can you prove it's not enforceable, and conversely the company prove it IS enforceable, without having to comply with the absolute minimums?

So, they don't have to provide the original copy AND don't need to provide a copy with signatures or prescribed terms, even if they are relying on those documents to prove enforceability. I know that not providing a true copy/complying with the CCA doesn't mean that the alleged debt itself doesn't exist, but surely it has to be proved somehow? They can just whip up an A4 terms and conditions which makes it enforceable, never send to to me or get my signature, not even date it, and then use that to prove a contractual agreement?

Trading Standards say I can send evidence of their enforcement actions and prove they breached the guidance and code, but if they only then ask the company to explain its actions and don't even take any action, why is it remotely worth my time and effort? It's not even a midge up against an elephant in terms of MBNA giving a darn or putting it right.

Can someone please explain the discrepancy between the templates and the legislation? Where is the protection for the individual consumer in all this? I'm loathe to carry on with using the templates for my other credit companies if they're wrong or I've misunderstood.

Cheers

Claire

Hi Claire,

The confusion here seems to stem from the fact that (arguably) a s77-78 request can be satisfied with a reconstituted agreement without a signature - which may indeed be a 'true copy'. I say arguably because there is guidance from the OFT regarding what exactly constitutes a true copy (I will try and dig this up for you if you like). This reconstituted 'true copy' would not be enforceable in court as it excludes the debtors signature - which is required for the creditor to obtain a court judgment.

So we have a situtation where a creditor can arguably satisfy a s77-78 request with an agreement which they would be unable to 'enforce' in court. As they have (arguably) satisfied s77-78 the credior will claim that they are however entitled to enforce the debt - letters, debt collectors etc etc.

Its your decision whether or not to continue with other creditors - CAG exists to give you as much info as possible to help you make that decision. There seem to be a lot of Caggers (me included) in a sort of stalemate. The creditor doesnt have an agreement they can get a court judgement with but refuses to write-off the debt.

Imho this stalemate is the best we can hope for in the short term - hopefuly long term we can put together a method for removal of info from CRAs (which seem to be the most damaging aspect to the consumer).

Hi Haggis

I have been reading the advise that you have given to Claire during her early stages of an appeal and was hoping to find someone on a forum such as this to give me a little advise too.

I have just payed out a sum of money to a solicitor to start the ball rolling for a claim against unfair interest charges from MBNA on credit cards dating back to March 2007

Hi Leo,

Best bet is to start your own thread, and people will try to advise you. If you want to link to it here ill have a look - Im not an expert though! :)

• 1 month later...

Hey

The latest update is that, despite the account being disputed, MBNA has sold the disputed debt on, despite these being disputed and despite no enforceable CCA being provided. The Ombudsman has already said in the case of MBNA that a court must rule on enforceability. I used the CAG templates to send a letter to the debt collection agency and at the mo am still awaiting their response.

So, the first thing is that I need to prepare my response for court as I think either MBNA/the debt collection agency will now go for a county court judgement against me. I want to counterclaim to get a ruling on the unenforceability of the agreement, so any particulars of claim for how to counterclaim for this would be really useful please. There's also missold PPI and charges on there so I would be wanting to also ask for these back.

The second issue is that, as per the guidance, I reported MBNA to Trading Standards for unfair trading. WY Trading Standards have a different take on the whole unfair trading thing to what other CAGers seem to be getting from their local Trading Standards, and it'd be useful if people could post their responses from their Trading Standards which DO agree with the CAG templates.

The gist of WY Trading Standards final response in refusing to take up unfair trading with MBNA is;

- creditor not prevented from enforcing a debt for which they've not provided the original executed agreement even when the account is clearly in dispute, when MBNA have been told the debt is in dispute and should not according to the Banking Code and ICO be taking enforcement action on a disputed debt.

- CCA 1974 repealed, so MBNA don't need to provide a properly executed agreement and don't need to have both signatures nor prescribed terms on a CCA for it to be regarded as properly executed - even though the agreement was before the repeal and so should have been properly executed with signatures and prescribed terms at the time.

- say that I appear to be disputing the collection methods, not that I owe the money; when I'm disputing what's owed because the agreement is unenforceable.

- don't seem to understand that what I'm complaining about is the fact that they're taking enforcement action on disputed accounts when the companies have subscribed to the Banking Code which means they've breached this Code which is contractual.

- with regard to MBNA's unfair trading, there are no breaches of legislation (!!!) on which Trading Standards have any role.

Any guidance? Seems ridiculous to me that other Trading Standards are wholly supportive when WY Trading Standards don't agree at all with CAG's position.

Thanks and cheers,

Claire

Meebroke, can you please let me have the link to your thread with the Trading Standards stuff on it? Ta muchly.

Thanks and cheers

Claire

Pretty much what TS told me. Can you post up the 'agreement' that MBNA have provided (block out any personal info).

Hey

Sorry, don't have a scanner but I've checked it all out pretty thoroughly against the guidance and it's an application form, it doesn't have both signatures on (predates the repeal of the 1974 legislation) nor does it have all the prescribed terms, right to cancel, etc. They've been absolutely clear that this is the proper agreement, though in fact I have a different one with terms and conditions supplied at the time and that doesn't have any of those either!

Ta

Claire

Ok, unless theyre holding a signed agreement up their sleeve they cant get a judgement against you.

The links I put in post #2 show how you can flush out any signed agreement they have. Havent done this myself though.

When they pass it to a collection agency you can just write to them telling them there's no signed agreement - theyll pass it back to MBNA. Theres a few template letters around for this.

Couple of Qs,

How many months since you last made payment? and have they issued a defualt notice yet?

Eyup

I would guess that they haven't got another agreement but am hoping a court case would force them to produce whatever they've got, just in case. I stopped paying in October after they'd been in default of the CCA request for three months, they then defaulted it, told them it was disputed but passed to the debt collection agency anyway, whereupon I used the CAG template in corresponding with the DCA saying there was no enforceable agreement and suggested they pass it back to MBNA. But haven't heard since.

I don't particularly have any worries about them taking me to court, fairly sure of my ground in terms of it being wholly unenforceable, just wondered if anyone had a template for me to counterclaim when MBNA take me to court.

Cheers

Claire

Eyup

It would guess that they haven't got another agreement but am hoping a court case would force them to produce whatever they've got, just in case. I stopped paying in October after they'd been in default of the CCA request for three months, they then defaulted it, told them it was disputed but passed to the debt collection agency anyway, whereupon I used the CAG template in corresponding with the DCA saying there was no enforceable agreement and suggested they pass it back to MBNA. But haven't heard since.

I don't particularly have any worries about them taking me to court, fairly sure of my ground in terms of it being wholly unenforceable, just wondered if anyone had a template for me to counterclaim when MBNA take me to court.

Cheers

Claire

It would be helpful if anyone could provide some guidance on this CCA issue and issuing a court order or counter claiming defence.

Edited by Ace1
spelling mistake

I am in court next week to get an order for both MBNA and Halifax to produce the agreemnent. But have had no advise as to what to do or say to the court. I just guess that until they fail to produce the agreement, there is always a chance they have one. The court order should flush one out. My problem is also that the MBNA agreement is post April 2007, and I think that means something. I have never been to court so unprepared. But will let you know.

Its WAR

Good luck. Have they provided anything to you at all?

The one thing I found which would be useful, to me at least, was on the thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/173201-why-you-shouldnt-use.html#post1868913

It's about how to request the court for disclosure of documents under

the requirement of the Civil Procedure Rules (CPR). Paragraph 7.3 of Practice Direction 16 says

Quote:

7.3 Where a claim is based upon a written agreement:

(1) a copy of the contract or documents constituting the agreement should be attached to or served with the particulars of claim and the original(s) should be available at the hearing.

I was thinking I might have to play around with to do Particulars of Claim. Guess it would be a useful summary for what to say to the court?

I'm like you, until they confirm to a court that what they've sent me (which is unenforceable) is the only agreement, then I'm worried they'll suddenly get their act together and produce one! Though I'm still unclear as to whether, if and when a court deems an agreement unenforceable, they're then required to remove all record of that agreement - with credit reference agencies, their own records, etc. !

The stuff I found on CAG about the date of agreements was that:

Section 127(3) was repealed in the Consumer Credit Act 2006, which came into force in January 2007. Therefore, the enforceability of any agreement entered into after 2006 cannot be challenged by Section 127. This doesn't mean that such an agreement is necessarily enforceable but it does mean that its enforceability must be argued on its own merits.

The enforceability of an agreement that is not properly executed, signed after 6 April 2007 and not having the debtor's signature and the prescribed terms in the same document may not be enforceable but it's enforceability has to be argued on a case-by-case basis (you cannot use section 127(3)).

Don't know if that's of any use to you or not, but anyway, best of luck.

Cheers

Claire

I have had a dodgy application form from Halifax and nothing at all from MBNA.

The thread you quote is, I believe , the one we are all following. Its just that it does not cover actually attending a hearing. So I have no idea what to expect. I hope at least that the judge agrees to order the CCAs to be produced, then we can see what we have got, and move on to the next step.

Its WAR

I have had a dodgy application form from Halifax and nothing at all from MBNA.

The thread you quote is, I believe , the one we are all following. Its just that it does not cover actually attending a hearing. So I have no idea what to expect. I hope at least that the judge agrees to order the CCAs to be produced, then we can see what we have got, and move on to the next step.

Afternoon all.

I've been down the 31.16 route withCap. One. They gave up the afternoon before the court case. When is your court date?

Expect all the frighteners about costs, barristers etc. Also be prepared for no-body to turn up or the judge not to have read the case notes.

Take extra copies of every thing and write out a skeleton argument, just notes of points you want to make. It will be no good coming out wishing you remembered something else.

Just remain calm and be prepared. try to remember that the only difference between you and the others is that they work there and are used to it, you are not.

Its OK to be nervous it will keep you on your toes; just do your home work.

You are entitled to these documents in law. Don't forget, or let anybody else forget, that.

Just keep it simple, you need the documents to asses a possible case under section 142 of the CCA, thats basicly it, go for it.

Good Luck we are all behind you