Landlord won't do repairs

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4433 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My dishwasher is broken and my landlord won't fix it. When I took on the flat, the landlord agreed to have a dishwasher fitted, in exchange for an extra £30 on the rent. There's nothing in my tenancy agreement which says that I'm responsible for fixing it myself (the only thing in the agreement is a sentence saying that it is his responsiblity to repair electrical appliances). He says it is a luxury item and that he therefore has no time limit in which to fix it (i.e. he's not ever going to).

Last time there was a problem with the flat (black mould in the bathroom and food coming out of the bath plughole!) it took 8 months to get it sorted. I'm not prepared to stay here another 8 months, at the same rent, if he's not going to fix something I'm paying for.

I was wondering therefore what my rights are? Can I just pay to have it fixed and take the money from my rent? I'm not that worried about eviction - my landlord is dreadful and I'm thinking of leaving anyway. I just want to have a functioning dishwasher in the meantime, and make sure that I won't be legally liable for these costs myself.

Any advice would be gratefully received!:)

*Twinsister

p.s. does anyone know of any forums where tenants can exchange information about bad landlords?

This is a link to a very helpful section on the Shelter website which tells you exactly the procedure you should go through to do repairs and then deduct from rent.

And LL may think a dishwasher is a luxury item, but if there is indeed a clause in the AST which says "(the only thing in the agreement is a sentence saying that it is his responsiblity to repair electrical appliances)" then it IS his responsibility.

Since you are not worried about eviction, I would go ahead, but follow the correct procedure.

And next time you are faced with food coming out of the bath plug hole and he doesn't sort it out right away, tell him you are contacting the environmental health department at your local council. You definitely should not have waited 8 months to have that fixed - it would have to have been a health hazard.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

• 3 weeks later...