HSBC refuse my offer of payment

yardarm1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5320 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a current account with HSBC it originally had an overdraft facility of £700, last year they wrote to me telling me the facility was withdrawn as it is reviewed yearly. I promptly thought sod you and opened an account with Nat West whom I now bank with. I also have a secondary joint account with HSBC with my wife that is still running and is used just for bills and and a loan with HSBC that is paid monthly without fail.

Today I had a call from HSBC telling me that a request for full settlement was sent to me 6 months ago and I have 18 days to pay the full amount of the account which is now £939 overdrawn. The HSBC represenative I spoke with told me he would be willing to accept £100 a month to keep them from going to a DCA. I told him that if they hadn't removed my OD facility that this wouldn't have happened in the first place, I also pointed out that my loan is paid and the other account is in order. My offer of paying £50 a month was point blankly refused. Should this go to a DCA can I remake the offer of paying £50 a month and do they have to accept that?

As far as I know, they don't have to accept anything lower than the full monthly amount. It may be different if claiming hardship, or if you have a look through the template letters here and find something useful.

I do know from experience that HSBC can behave like a spoilt child and will promptly throw a tantrum and become very nasty if they don't get what they want.

All in all though, if you have made an offer (which seems very fair to me), they are fools not to take it!

Huh, sounds similar to my treatment from HSBC. I have an agreed o/d but have gone slightly over. HSBC wrote to me in July and I wrote back saying I'd pay £100 pm. They ignored my letter and passed it to a DCA. The DCA wrote saying you have to pay in full and you have to pay NOW. I wrote to HSBC again and asked why they had ignored my letter offering to pay £100. This time they wrote back and said the offer wasn't acceptable and that I had to deal with the DCA. The DCA then wrote to say it' been trying to verify that I live where I say and that it's been trying to obtain my telephone number and are very upset that my phone number is ex-directory!

Personally I'm going to persevere and keep writing to HSBC, next time I'll mention the outrageous charges... and I'm not about to telephone the DCA and give them my phone number

Edited by bottomburp
tupos

My posts are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. You should seek the advice of a qualified insured professional.

Welcome all three to the wonderful world of HSBC :D.

First thing I will say (without even asking who the DCA is) is Metropolitan Collections a'rnt a DCA its just HSBC employees using a different letter head Metropolitan are even listed with companies house as having no employees :rolleyes:.

Next, have you checked your accounts for charges over the last 6 years? unless you have all been angels I suspect a good deal of the "debt" the bank are chasing is made up of charges they have deducted and you can claim back saving you the problem of paying them back :)

Finally ignore what the accept or don't accept if you have offered £X a month just pay that into your old account anyway, they will charge you but you can claim it back so they are just fooling themselves :).

pete