What's it like to work in Job Centre?

Jan4a
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5283 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've got an interview next week for temp Executive Officer position.

I've been unemployed but doing bits of temp work inbetween and now this has come up.

You must need loads of patience both with the systems and the customers.

One of the people I've signed on with told me she was looking for another job but not why.

If you work in a local job centre and someone you know comes in, do they give that person to someone else to deal with?

I suppose people are different wherever you work so it will partly depend on which JC you end up in.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont worry Jan you'll get enough training to become stone-hearted. Data Protection, Confidentiality, Non-judgemental approach, Empowerment, Diversity, Equality and political correctness. Hope you'll enjoy your new job.

All the best.

Never mind the patience, thats customers' bit.

Edited by adamrao

:-|Impossible is I'M Possible:lol:

If you think the advice given is useful then show your appreciation by clicking on the scales.

Jan im sure you will have more compassion than the rest.

Good Luck

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

I have mixed feelings about nice people working in jobcentres.

It's better for the jobcentre that they have good staff but I don't like to see good people dragged down by working in such a godawful place.

We recently had an eighteen-year-old girl working as an EO at our jobcentre. She's only just done A levels and liked making jewellry, which she sold to friends and work colleagues.

She was very delicate and artistic. I always wanted to tell her to get out before it was too late.

Fortunately, she left after six months and now lives in Oklahoma where she's hoping to become a silversmith.

Are you up for one of those 18-month contract jobs?

I predict that this will be a very interesting thread. :rolleyes:

Are you up for one of those 18-month contract jobs?

I predict that this will be a very interesting thread. :rolleyes:

Yes, 18 month job.

I am sure it will be very interesting!

Not sure how compassionate you are allowed to be, there are systems in place that you have to work with, I imagine you don't have that much choice. Staff can be as nice as they like but at the end of the day they have to work with government's rules.

Plus, I'm scared that none of the locals will speak to me - loads of them are probably on cash-in-hand!

well at least if a better job comes up u will be one of the first to know lol :-)

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

well at least if a better job comes up u will be one of the first to know lol :-)

That's true! When I went in to sign on once I showed the lady a training course I'd found that I wanted to do, and she went and photocopied it because she also wanted to do it to escape from the JC! doesn't inspire confidence!

Dont worry Jan you'll get enough training to become stone-hearted. Data Protection, Confidentiality, Non-judgemental approach, Empowerment, Diversity, Equality and political correctness. bit.

Not everyone who works in the benefit sytem is bad. Yes, some of them are power drunk, but most care and are doing a job like any other.

It is a tough job- the people in the jobcentres don't usually make the decisions, but do take the flak for it.

If you get the job, remember treat others the way you would wish to be treated, and you won't go far wrong. I havn't worked in a jobcentre for many years, but do work in the bens system and that advice has served me well.

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

I do know that because I've always seen nice people in my local JC.

Thanks

I am glad to hear that.... everybody deserves to betreated with respect. Those that are rude/off hand/ talk down to people get the rest of us a bad name.

Good luck.

Yes, just move house!

Seriously I've been signing on since January and haven't had any problems. I was terrified of going in the first place because I'd heard so many horror stories but it really was fine.

Sorry, missed part of your question. Yes, if somebody you know comes in another member of staff would see them. Likewise, if a claim needs processing that is for someone you know,you pass it to someone else to deal with.

Edited by Shoelover
damn laptop keyboard....

If you get the job, remember treat others the way you would wish to be treated, and you won't go far wrong.

Yes, you will make a good jobcentre employee if you follow the ancient precepts:

'Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself.' (Leviticus, 19:18 )

'But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.' (Leviticus, 19:34)

At my jobcentre the new 18-monthers seem okay and treat people well. It's the older staff who have ceased to care who cause most of the problems.

It's how you're guided by the management in there.

Everyone starts nice, they care, they want to help. Reviews come and you're not hitting targets and you get the choice ...

Yourself OR the customers

You either hit targets and keep your job safe, or you help people and facing constant moaning etc. about missed targets and doing work you technically could pass the customer on to someone else to do.

It's exceptionally hard to do both, and like you said, a lot of the staff who've been there a while just drift into the easy, scripted, vague approach instead of actually listening and caring.

Yes, you will make a good jobcentre employee if you follow the ancient precepts:

'Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself.' (Leviticus, 19:18 )

'But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.' (Leviticus, 19:34)

Or "do as you would be done by".

Targets, Targets, Targets ....... it is all anyone cares about nowadays. Despite it ruining the NHS.

It's not a great system, but when it's a choice between yourself as the employee or the customers, it's only going one way - only one of those 2 pays the household bills.

As well as the targets, there's the departmental division - so each employee is only encouraged to deal with their specific job and even if they could potentially help are told no to, to keep their departments stats nice.

I was obliged to apply for one of those jobs whilst I was unemployed; I got through to the final interview during which I was advised I appeared 'nervous' - I was incredibly relieved when I didn't get the job!

I was quite sure it would have made me very ill - but then no one is allowed to be ill and poor these days are they?

I'm afraid I find it impossible to feel any sympathy for those on the other side of the counter at job centres, I maintain that no 'decent' person could work there - not without falling foul of the system themselves after a very short time.

Talk about 'only obeying orders.'

Edited by zazen.warrior