Speed camera - can I get out of this

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5308 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm sure most of us share your point of view but it doesn't hurt to remind everyone.

I think the reason many reacted as they did was the apparent arrogance of this particular guy. I don't think genuine victims have any reason not to ask for help, there's plenty of it available to those in need and most are very happy to give it.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing more annoying then someone who does not learn from their mistakes.

Elderly neighbour who drives once in a blue moon. Recently, a road near us was changed from a 40 to a 30. On a rare outing in her car, she traveled on this road and failed to notice it was now a 30. Low and behold there was a camera van (which she passed, happily driving at 40mph thinking she was doing no wrong).

She received the NIP. She informed me, she told me what happened - she accepted guilt. She said how silly it was of her to fail to see the signs... and also said how she would be more careful.

At no point did "how can i get out of this" cross her mind.

Now, apart from the points and fine, its a happy story -she made a mistake and she learnt from it.

As for the OP, he has made at least 2 other mistakes, he has failed to learn and he even denies that he has done wrong.

It is just sods law that his ticket was void - a (obviously) bad driver has wriggled out of it by default.

But its true - no point lecturing - the only time he will learn is when some poor bloke has to hose him of the carriageway...:Cry:

It is just sods law that his ticket was void - a (obviously) bad driver has wriggled out of it by default.

I don't notice anyone berating the muppet cop who didn't get the paperwork right in the first place. If they had then the OP wouldn't have had a get out and we wouldn't be having to endure the ramblings of the holier than thou brigade.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Much more likely to be a civilian, I can't see members of our constabulary popping down to the post office with arms full of NIP's ready for posting, can you?

In fact I doubt the police were involved at all - surely one of our wonderful "Safety Camera Partnerships" would look after this kind of thing.

I think many people on here park like tw*ts and deserve everything they get but I just use my personal judgement

To a point I would agree with G&M on this but as I posted a few days ago some of the car parks are run on a system designed to catch people out as are some speed cameras. As I say in my posts the best way to avoid points and fines is not to speed.

Rules are there to be followed and it applies to both sides not just the driver. If the police are sloppy then this is valid escape (though in this case regretable).

Car Parks in big retail parks are a prime example of entapment where a lot of people are making visits to several stores and are legitimate shoppers and assume that as they are just that and do not even notice the sign posts limiting their stay on 'penalty' of large and inappropriate 'fines' and the first they know of it is several weeks later when an invoice arrives in the post and being honest citizens get the chequebook out and put it down to experience.

I have been following this site for several years and it has proved well worth while using on several occasions but have only just started posting when a 'ppc' has started sending invoices and threats because my daughter overstayed the time limit in a FREE car park of a fast 'food' establishment noted for its poor treatment of customers.

Luckily I already knew the score so she has saved herself £50.00 because the intimidation would have made her pay.

Edited by asmodeus

I don't notice anyone berating the muppet cop who didn't get the paperwork right in the first place. If they had then the OP wouldn't have had a get out and we wouldn't be having to endure the ramblings of the holier than thou brigade.

Lets see how Holier than thou you get when one of your family are killed by idiotic drivers who dont think that the rules apply to them!

• Haha 1

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Lets see how Holier than thou you get when one of your family are killed by idiotic drivers who dont think that the rules apply to them!

You've missed the point. You're so busy having a pop at the OP and reacting to my statement when the fact is if the muppets had done the job properly he'd be on 12 points and off the road for a period of time.

Let me ask another question - what have your comments acheived other than putting the OP's back up? Is he likely to listen? In my experience he's far more likely to tell you to go f*** yourself and seek advice on another forum than actually think "I've done something wrong".

I thought these forums were about helping people without passing judgement on their morality. I would suggest that if you haven't got anything constructive to add to the OP's plight then you refrain from posting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The point is that the dickhead thinks it is ok to do this, anyone can make a mistake (talking about plod that issued the ticket) but I seriously doubt that the lowlife gives two jots what we think , and driving ban or not, will continue to drive until he is put away.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Whoa! hold on there - you may not share Lula's opinions but some of us do. I agree that these forums are about helping people, but let's not be so pious that we become afraid of giving honest opinions. After all the word "forum" means place for OPEN discussion where some views will always not be held universally.

There's a long tradition of "calling a spade a spade" on here and I for one hope it continues.

After all Lula wasn't the only one who disliked the tone of the OP's entries so why pick on him/her alone?

After all Lula wasn't the only one who disliked the tone of the OP's entries so why pick on him/her alone?

I wasn't picking on Lula, Lula did react to my post and I posted a reply back. It's called a frank and meaningful exchange of views. :wink:

If you look back through the thread I'm not the only one who's made these points. I'm not the first to mention the "holier than thou" brigade nor was I the first to mention about moralising (check the posts from davidred and G&M).

I don't always agree with G&M but I think he sums it up nicely in his post. If I can paraphrase it succinctly - "Sometimes nothing is the best thing to say" or to quote from a Disney movie - "If you can't say something nice - don't say nothing at all"

I don't think this is the place to start abusing those asking for help if you don't think they deserve help don't give it. I think many people on here park like tw*ts and deserve everything they get but I just use my personal judgement and just stick to the facts,

I understand your sentiments G&M but, with due respect, I feel parking is a separate issue. True, irresponsible parking can be the cause of a lot of inconvenience but, I would imagine that is very rare that bad parking is considered very dangerous, or actually life threatening. I only go by personal experience. I live on an A road in a small village where the speed limit is constantly ignored. We have had one death involving a young child, and I personally was nearly run down a couple of weeks ago by an idiot driving through at a speed that was definitely around the seventy mark, had I not jumped out of the way, I would have been hit. These people speeding are not young thugs, but company car drivers who do not slow down for our village. However, I am sure that these same speeding drivers would be the first to complain if young people in hot hatches were driving outside their own front doors where they themselves live at excessive speed, and would class them as delinquents and call the police. The OP described the camera that caught him as "stupid", I am sure those that live on this particular street do not consider the camera as stupid, he reckoned he was doing a "perfect speed" all in a residential street. The OP has nine points already, and from his posts it appears he considers himself the victim. Sometimes it may be best to give such people an opinion of your thoughts of his actions.

OK I have actaully read through all these posts (much to those who don't think I would) because

1. I am grateful to the kind people near the start of the thread who helped me get off the fine/ban

2. I am not such an a**hole as some of you make out.

Before you persecute me I would like to point a few things out.

First look at the road itself. That road is a major road, the limit of 30 is artificially slow. In praticular look at how wide the road is. That is a major road out of the centre of Oxford.

Second, consider the time I was driving: in the small hours of the morning with full beams on. What are the chances of a child etc being on the road then? And no other cars in sight.

Finally, I'd like to point out that while I may be 'dangerous' in some ways, I am not a bad driver in others. Speed cameras are meant to be located at dangerous points, and I always slow down for them. Similarly I slow down for SLOW markings or bends in the road. And when I see a sign saying "School" or "Pedestians in Road" I drive accordingly. What I'm getting at is, there are plenty of times I drive slow (at or even under the speed limit). But this camera was placed just to earn them a few prosecutions - it's not on a bend, it's on a straight where people are going to be tempted to whizz along.

OK, there are my excuses out of the way and I know there is no excuse breaking the law. But to those of you who are commenting without knowing the facts, please do take a look at the Google Maps photo and get a sense of the road.

In retrospect I do agree that 53 was too fast to claim it was safe but:

a) At the time I was too annoyed with getting a ticket (and getting a potential ban - my job involves driving and being able to get from a to b at late hours) - and too scared of losing my license and possibly my job

b) WHen i 'got off' it I was too pleased with my 'victory' over the camera.

It has taught me a lesson though, I have realised I can't take chances like this any more. You are right, driving as I do it is only a matter of time before I get caught, as my 9 points testify. So even though I STRONGLY believe in all I have said above, I am not going to press my point because I simply can't risk it.

OK, I've said my piece. If having read this and looked at the photos you still think I should have been banned from driving, probably lost my job, and so lost my source of income for my wife and child, I am not sure what I can say to convince you.

Failing something exceptional I suspect this will be my last post to this thread. But I hope not my last post to CAG!

Johnny

First look at the road itself. That road is a major road, the limit of 30 is artificially slow. In praticular look at how wide the road is. That is a major road out of the centre of Oxford.Johnny

The M80 motorway between Glasgow and Cumbernauld has very few junctions, no traffic lights, parked cars and no pedestrians etc yet carries a 50mph limit. As a two lane rural motorway many (me included) feel it should have a 70mph limit like the dual carriageway it replaced, but motorists are often outnumbered by unmarked police cars especially in the evenings and small hours and speeding fines are commonplace.

I think it has an artificially slow limit but I can't agree with you about your road. At least we have no parked cars to contend with, drunks leaving the public house or dog walkers on late-night canine toilet trips and it does seem pretty narrow in places.

If you've learned from this - great. Everyone deserves another chance and I for one would hate to see you lose your licence and your job. you must have touched a few nerves on here, but you got the right outcome for you.

This might have been just the wake-up call we all need from time to time.