Career Development Loan WARNING!!!

pf01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5315 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My wife took out a CDL in 2004 for £8000 to begin a course at the South West College for Oriental Medicine to study for 4 years in acupuncture. The course ceased after one year and has since been liquidated with no assets.

The medical practice which is run by the same person from the same premises still continues.

From the time the course ceased we were liable for the debt as stated in the terms and conditions yet we have not completed the course or gained the qualifications to earn a living and start repayments.

We desperately need help and have tried everyone including CAB but have found nobody of use.

The bank were getting heavy but for now seem to ignore us but still and interest to the total sum owed.

In hindsight the college fees should have been put on a credit card and then repaid by a CDL in which case we would have had some cover on the card to offset the loan as we would have not been supplied with the goods that were paid for.

Why aren't these colleges verified by government and underwritten. What's to stop any fly-by-night organisation from starting up and doing exactly this and IF they are already policed do we have a case???

If anyone has any suggestions for us please let me know...soon!

Hi Pf01,

We've seen similar cases before but I'm afraid I've not seen a suitable solution to your predicament.

It seems outrageous that, effectively, the same business is running but your course was dropped but you still owe on the original debt. Unfortunately, the law seems to allow this unless to continue.

Did you complain to Trading Standards or Consumer Direct. Personally, I'd do nothing now, because......

......The Limitation Act 1980 gives some hope - if you don't acknowledge the debt or pay anything toward it, the debt becomes Staute Barred after six years from the last acknowledgement or payment made.

So, if you ignore it and they fail to take you to court in time, the debt will become Statute Barred and unenforceable. When do you reckon payment was last made to the account.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)