• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Help with Egg and DCL

loadsofdosh
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5305 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please can you help. I have a debt with Egg credit card of over £6000. I have offered them a pro rata payment which I have been paying for several months now. They often send the normal documents about not paying the full amount and that they are going to default me. I have written to them on numerous occasions asking them to accept my offer and freeze interest and other charges but they have always ignored my letters, I spoke to someone who said my offer was not enough. So I have carried on writing but they have not replied. Last week they sent me a default notice and mentioned that they had put my account in the hand of a debt collector. The debt collector, DCL, phoned several times saying it was DCL, and needed to contact me urgently and when I phoned back to quote a reference number. Then they sent an email via Egg, so I replied asking them not to phone me and they could email me. They sent a financial statement for me to complete (I had already completed one with Egg). I asked them to obtain the information from Egg. They have asked for full settlement of my account. They have then sent me another email contents below and are calling me by another name -

"Egg have no legal obligation to accept anything below the minimum instalment and if they do they will not accept it for more than 6 months. I would assume that is why your letters were unanswered and the account was then passed to us.Please refer to the terms and conditions of your contract that confirm Egg have the right to forward your account to a 3rd party.Moving forward, we would happily take into consideration your circumstances and offer; we just require the income and expenditure sheet to be sent to us as Egg have not forwarded that information to us. Also with that please forward pro rata percentages and creditor balances so we can justify your offer."

Could you please give me some guidance on how to reply to them - do I have to send them all these details again as I have already supplied them to Egg? What do I do about them calling me by another name - that isn't very professional?

Your help would as always be much appreciated.

Do you mean DLC (I'm guessing so as they are the ones dealing with my Egg accounts)? First thing to remember is that they can't take any legal action themselves; only Egg - the owner of the debt - can do that (unless they've sold the debt on - ask DLC if they own the debt or if they're acting for Egg).

Send DLC a CCA request with £1 P.O.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/resources/templates-library/86-debt-collectors/581-cca-request-letter

If the phone calls persist send a harassment letter:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/resources/templates-library/52-harassment/135--harassment-by-telephone-response-letter-

Don't panic and don't agree to anything without checking with someone here first. And while you're waiting for a CCA response have a good read of other relevant posts.

Thanks very much -it is DLC sorry I cant type straight now. They have said that tey are acting on behalf of Egg with the intention of recovering the balance which has been defaulted. I can't send them a CCA request because I already did that with Egg and although they claimed I hadn't sent a £1 I showed them a copy of my Egg statement which showed it had been cashed so they sent it but it all looked okay - enforecable - not that I really know what Im looking for but someone else I showed it to said it looked okay. Is there anything else I can do?

so the dca is only collecting ....ignore them & also stay off that phone.never talk to anyone regarding debts on the phone.

I/0 sheets.........

no-one bar a court has the right to see your financial details.

take control of your finances yourself.

write egg, TELLING them you can only pay £XX for XX mts, then do it by internet banking and keep doing it regardless to whatever they or any DCA says.

they are just chancing their arm. IF and a very BIG if it ever got to court the judge would laugh it out the door & prob assign a smaller sum.

they KNOW this , but you must keep to your promised payment schedule.

DCA's have NO LEGAL POWERS all they can do is send threat-o-grams.

you might also find it useful to read a few of the threads in the EGG forum.

the more you read the stronger you become.

i'd click the red warning triangle on one of your msgs in this thread and sens a msg to get this thread moved to the EGG forum.

you will get alot more support from other by posting it there.

good luck

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Reply. thank you very much I will see how I get on. Although I have taken advice from CCCS and they have advised writing to the debt collectors with the information they require as they think they seem reasonable. I'm not sure what anyone else thinks about this. I will transfer this to the egg forum though.

Thread moved.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Good luck with these guys, they are a pain in the proverbial. I've beaten back one of Eggs lackies (CDUK) and feel I now have the upper hand. Also it would be good idea to post your CCA here, from what I've been told egg agreements tend to look ok but have some fatal flaws. There is a good sticky thread about it.

Most of all, stay strong, stick to what you know you can afford and do it all in writing. Or you can turn the tables and wind up the DCA on the phone. I rather enjoy that myself...

Natwest Credit Card- £850- WON!!!

Natwest Current Account- £380 (in 1 month!)- On Hold

Mint- £250- WON!!!

Egg- Still waiting on list of charges

CAP1- Still waiting on list of charges

HSBC current account- On hold

IF- waiting...

Barclaycard- £124 WON!!!

And now, using what I've learnt from you wonderful people, to CCA the lot of them! (well credit cards at least)

Thanks I will post the CCA as I said it appears to look okay although I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Also, I am not sure the best way/how to post the CCA - scan or something. I have had a few calls today from them but they have stopped asking me to contact them urgently instead they just hang up. I had a bit of banter with them via email but they keep addressing me as someone else - are they doing it deliberately or do they muddle up everyone!

Well I can recommend the 'cheekiness to DCAs' thread that is round here somewhere. Always cheered me up when they were harrassing me.

I've not done it but putting your CCA on photobucket and linking here seems to work. I think there is an FAQ on the site. someone with considerably more knowledge than me will no doubt help you out.

Natwest Credit Card- £850- WON!!!

Natwest Current Account- £380 (in 1 month!)- On Hold

Mint- £250- WON!!!

Egg- Still waiting on list of charges

CAP1- Still waiting on list of charges

HSBC current account- On hold

IF- waiting...

Barclaycard- £124 WON!!!

And now, using what I've learnt from you wonderful people, to CCA the lot of them! (well credit cards at least)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to all who have helped me but I have been away but am now back and need more advice. Wrote to Egg complaining about their treatment of me and have also lodged complaint with Financial Ombudsman. Egg replied to my letter - the only one, they normally ignore me. Part of it mentioned "unfortunately, although the notes on your account relfect post being recieved: this was not passed to the egg collection team for review. As no arrangement was in place, even though you were making payments of £xx.xx each month towards your debt your accont was frozen on XXXXXX and referred to Dierect Legal & Collections Limited."

Letter goes on to say "in view of the status of your account and the amount you can afford to pay - the decision to pass your account to Direct Legal & Collections Limited remains. Direct legal & collectionsLimited will be preapared to discuss a payment arrangement with you...."

However, DLC is not prepared to discuss anything with me. They have informed me by email (I can't understand what they are saying on my answerphone but don't intend to speak to them anyway) they are not prepared to accept my offer but need to speak to me urgently as they need to take a payment immediately and then set up a direct debit"

Could anyone now help me as I feel a bad run with them coming on. I have been paying Egg a regular amount each month (although not what they want). I am intending paying the same amount to DLC each month and I can also set up a standing order (most definitely not a direct debit) each month and propose writing to them to this effect? What does anyone think? From reading forum Egg and their DCAs appear to be the worst and I am terrified of getting a charging order on my property my mortgage is in my name and my elderly father's and I don't know what I would do if these awful people took my home. Advice as usual please.

ignore them

there is nothing they can do to you.

as in post #4 write and TELL THEM what they are going to get

no judge will make you pay more

TBH: i'd keep paying egg direct & these are only the inhouse DCA monkeys anyhow...do what they are there to do - intimidate and threaten you ...ignore them.

i would not even both with an SO.

its your money!!

now what about reclaiming the charges & the mis-sold PPI?

bet theres a bit there !

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks for your help it was much appreciated, unfortunately, at the moment I don't have many charges as I have always paid my monthly payment on time - so I never accrued any charges to claim for. It has only since I defaulted a paid a smaller amount that a few charges have been added - and the interest is getting more and more. I never took out ppi either. Fired off a letter to them last night and today received two more from them - one was a "caring" letter saying they want to help me and could I phone their office. the other one was mentioning they wanted to set up an arrangement for the amount I have been offering all the time - although they dont mention whether they are actually accepting my pro rata offer - I am just writing to them again. Actually I now have 4 different people contacting me all the time which is weary. I wish they would go away - I would like to wake up tomorrow morning to find I have won the lottery or written a best selling novel!!

i'd not both with any more letters

the letter prob crossed in the post.

let the one you sent settle for a few weeks

dx

and they