Grattan - unfair late payment charge?

LooopyLoo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4539 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

on 16th Sept I received a payment reminder from Grattan, telling me I hadn't paid my bill from my august statement so they would be adding late payment fee of £12 on to my account (to be paid by 15th sept!). I haven't ordered anything from grattan recently, so i sat on their custmer services line for about 30 minutes (0845 Grrrrrr!) and got through to the rudest cust serv person ever! It emerged that last Oct I ordered 3 magazine subscriptions on a '3 for £3' deal. (true). I paid for these immediately. However, I received a further 2 or 3 mags after the initial 3 issues as I forgot to cancel them. They decided to charge me for these in August but I never received a statement, hence the £12 late fee. I want them to refund the charge as I didn't know I owed them anything, they said I should have realised that my aug statement hadn't arrived (although I wasn't expecting one!) so I still have to pay the late fee!! I've now paid the balance of the account, £15 odd, minus the £12 late fee. Where do i stand on getting this late fee wiped??

Lol....... typical response from them, you have to remember that half of them will be out of work by crimbo so they have no real interest in getting this right. The ones that can still be ar**d are following the company line to save their jobs.

If you can hang on for a few weeks till I get my cheque I'll forward you a contact number for their head office and legal department. Fold pretty easily when it comes to the crunch.

Don't suppose you live in Devon do you? got loads of statements for some poor bugger down that way :D

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem but had just forgotten 1 payment ( i owed about £7) and they owed me £17 in commission! In past i have received a polite reminder letter or phonecall and have always paid immediatly with an apology. This time less than 2 weeks after the missed payment i received the nasty letter with the £12 charge. I rang customer services asked to be put straight on to a supervisor who after listening knocked the charge off but even so I closed the account and wont touch them again. I know i missed the payment but over the years I always paid more than minimun and think that unless they go back to polite reminders before the charge everyone should cancel their accounts. we are only human and it is easy to forget.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

sorry if this is posted in the wrong place. i'm new!

I am having some problems with Grattan, I had an account with them some time ago and moved house, sent them a letter to change my address, heard nothing, repeated this 2 more times...still nothing, i checked my credit file to find a default from a company called eos solutions, after alot of waiting on the phone i found this to be the Grattan account( eos could not give me a statement of this account) So i called Grattan and asked to discuss the account and to have a statement of the account sendt to my new address. Rita at Grattan said she could not discuss the account, could not put me through to anyone in collections and that i must speak to Eos. i argued that i had given my address to them and its their fault if they did not update. I had tried. Advice please, Eos have now taken the account from the £229 to over £330. there was no reason for this debt to be sold on as i i had given Grattan my new address and asked them to send me statements so i could pay.

HELP

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

I am also having problems with Grattan which I think may be caused by the new payments system, they kept sending me statements saying I was behind with my payments and everytime I paid what they asked for I woulkd get a letter saying I hadnt paid and a default payment. I tried to access my online account to check my payments and it said my status would not allow me to access the online account management facilities. I then had an email from them saying my online statement was available to view (I didnt even know they sent online statements) but when I tried to access it the same thing, your account status means you cannot access your account. So in desperation I emailed them (I object to paying for phone calls to companies that I am sending money to) I had an email back to say that because I hadnt made the required payments on time they had transfered my account to a company called EOS solutions and I should contact them. My query is that no 1 can they do that without letting me know first and no 2 if they no longer own my account how can they still be accepting my payments (the last one being made six days ago through my bank and accepted by them) I am very confused and quite angry as well and I have emailed them back asking for written confirmation of my last 4 payments.

Can anyone help or shed any light on whether their practices are legal and what I should do?

Many thanks in advance