Miller Pattison - Goverment Grants legitimate?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4112 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Miller Pattison knocked my nans door last month, and i have since found out they are doing the loft insulation, she says its free part of the goverment grants, i know these grants exist but are Miller Pattison a legitimate company.

Head Office

6 Park Square

Thorncliffe Park

Chapeltown

Sheffield

S35 2PH

T: 01142 404370

F: 01142 404380

i have looked at some of the paperwork and non of it mentions the grants!

ANY information / experiances, i would be very gratfull.

Thanks

Hi 123x4.

This tells you all about the Warm Front scheme, which sponsors grants for suitable applicants.

Warm Front Scheme in England : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits

Warm Front have teams of appointed installers to carry out the work. Check with them to see if Miller Pattison are appointed.

Miller Pattison do have a page on grant funding under the heading 'Homeowner' on their website. I'm sure they are a bona fide company but it is as well to check. Even bona fide companies can have rogue employees!

Els

• 2 months later...

The grant is paid for by the energy providers (Scottish Power, British Gas etc). The Government are forcing them to pay for this as far too much money is being spent, and wasted, on energy each year. Now, every homeowner in the UK qualifies for the grant, it's the house which may not. The 'norm' goes like this, if you over 70 and/or claiming benefits (and are the homeowner) you get it for free (wall cavities and loft, both of which come with a 25 year guaruntee). If you are under 70 or you are not claiming any benefits then you get an 80% + grant for the work to be carried out by Miller Pattison. Although, in certain areas the grant is 100% regardless of circumstance (still got to be the homeowner though).

You dont pay for anything until the work has been done AND YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH THE WORK! No bank details or deposit are taken until the work has been done either. So, all of you people who don't trust people like me, who work my fingers to the bone, trying to give people FREE home insulation, and save you 30%-40% each month on your bills, please start having a little faith and realise that not everyone in the world is out there to mug you off.

Thanks for your time, and next time one of us knock on your door, hear us out! smile.gif

The grant is paid for by the energy providers (Scottish Power, British Gas etc). The Government are forcing them to pay for this as far too much money is being spent, and wasted, on energy each year. Now, every homeowner in the UK qualifies for the grant, it's the house which may not. The 'norm' goes like this, if you over 70 and/or claiming benefits (and are the homeowner) you get it for free (wall cavities and loft, both of which come with a 25 year guaruntee). If you are under 70 or you are not claiming any benefits then you get an 80% + grant for the work to be carried out by Miller Pattison. Although, in certain areas the grant is 100% regardless of circumstance (still got to be the homeowner though).

You dont pay for anything until the work has been done AND YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH THE WORK! No bank details or deposit are taken until the work has been done either. So, all of you people who don't trust people like me, who work my fingers to the bone, trying to give people FREE home insulation, and save you 30%-40% each month on your bills, please start having a little faith and realise that not everyone in the world is out there to mug you off.

Thanks for your time, and next time one of us knock on your door, hear us out! smile.gif

Cant blame people for being suspicious especially when there are SO many Rogue traders out there who do RIP people off:)

• 4 months later...
So, all of you people who don't trust people like me, who work my fingers to the bone, trying to give people FREE home insulation, and save you 30%-40% each month on your bills, please start having a little faith and realise that not everyone in the world is out there to mug you off.

It would help if the salesman:

a. made an appointment instead of cold-calling at the door.

b. explained clearly what it was all about.

c. didn't describe himself as a "surveyor".

d. had a leaflet and business card to give the householder (flashing a plastic ID card is meaningless if you've never heard of the company).

e. didn't drag things out when I said I was extremely busy.

f. didn't insist on phoning to get a booking number ON MY PHONE, calling them at least 7 or 8 times because he claimed they were busy. At this point I was convinced this was the classic premium phone number [problem]. When I told him to stop and do it later he ignored me and carried on.

And you wonder why householders get suspicious?

I'm copying this to Miller Pattison and to my local council.

• 2 weeks later...

We were told we must empty our loft & remove the flooring. They delivery and put down the insulation. However we would then be unable to put our stuff back. In other words we do all the work. Whatever they did for a survey it was not, it was just an excuse to sell. They also asked to see utilities bills, which rings of potenial for identity theft.

So IHaveNoOriginalName it would help us all, if you follow the advise of DragonCat.

So IHaveNoOriginalName it would help us all, if you follow the advise of DragonCat.

I very much doubt if they will. I've emailed a formal complaint to Miller Pattison twice, quoting this forum. They haven't bothered even acknowledging receipt.

But I had a letter from them, without a signature or name, and without even a company address at the top -- astonishing arrogance! I'd told their rep that a. it's not possible for me to empty the loft of all the boxes of books I have stored there, and b. it would not be convenient for them to come before October at the earliest. Their letter tells me a. "Items... should be removed by the customer", and b. their appointment is September 3rd.

I'm not dealing with this company, who clearly don't give a damn. I'm going to cancel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

In response to all these posts, I think I might have some useful help to pass on, as I am working (but not directly employed as we are a marketing company, for which I've only been involved with for a couple of weeks) for Miller Pattison. The details about where the grant comes from are completely accurate.

The work involved is as follows.

Before they lay the insulation, the do a full MOT of your loft, i.e. ensuring that your loft is 'breathing' as it should. This is done by ensuring that all your soffitts are clear, any tanks you may have are insulated correctly, and anything possibly detrimental to the insulation doing its job is corrected. The insulation is then layed to a depth of 270/280mm. The customer should be provided with a clean energy certificate, which obviously makes the property easier to sell in the future and also means it would meet any future residential emissions legislation (something that can't be provided by privately insulating the property).

As far as removing boarding/raising joists is concerned, the user was correct. Unfortunately, with the amount of work we are currently booking (300 jobs per week in the south-east) it is too time-consuming for the fitters to do this themselves, and this isn't covered by the grant scheme. Miller Pattison do offer this service, but it would come as a standard, chargable service.

Over 70= Free

Certain Benefits= Free

Standard Homeowner= £199 for loft. £149 for cavity walls (privately £800 for loft, abt. £2000 for walls, for equivalent service)

Guest Jason King

Don't ever have cavity wall insulation, they should be left to breath.

The numpty's who do it around my area have no building qualifications yet are quite willing to drill 10mm holes all over a property and fill it with foam.

Never is a survey carried out to look for damp and several houses have had unbelievable trouble after cavity work.

• 4 weeks later...
Don't ever have cavity wall insulation, they should be left to breath. Cavity wall insulation does not stop the cavity breathing.

The numpty's who do it around my area have no building qualifications (are you sure? they should all be trained to minimum standard in order to conform with BBA, CIGA etc)yet are quite willing to drill 10mm (I think you'll find they're 24-26mm) holes all over a property and fill it with foam (Foam not used since the 80's).

Never is a survey carried out to look for damp (All houses have to have a BBA approved survey before installation)and several houses have had unbelievable trouble after cavity work.

I'm not saying houses don't have problems but I'm sure you'll agree its the same with any product or industry.

For those of you that are "Anti Cavity wall Insulation" I would suggest taking a step back and listening to those who know what they are talking about. Its a signifficant improvement to most properties and provides energy savings and significant improvements to your comfort zone. Besides, why else would there be funding available?

Plus

It is an extremely highly regulated industry backed up with extremely high levels of insurance.

I have been reading all the comments about MILLER PATTISON, and like most people am not sure. I had two young men come to my door one afternoon telling me about the government scheme available. They told me that i met the criteria and quoted me 250 pounds to have both cavity wall insultation and loft insulation. They also told me that i would have to clear out my loft of any junk and that they would remove my old insulation and take it away and tidy up after themselves. I was also told that the cavity walls inmy conservatory would be included in this price. They also mentioned that my energy company Southern Electric would pay a large amount towards this work. When I phoned my energy supplier they did confirm that these grants were in place, but didnt know anything about who would be carrying out the work and that there was more to it. . I was sent a letter from my supplier which said" IN ORDER TO QUALIFY FOR FREE INSULATION YOU MUST BE IN RECEIPT OF (THEN THERE WAS A LIST OF GOVERNMENT BENEFITS) EG WORKING TAX CREDITS AND YOUR INCOME MUST BE BELOW 15,600 POUNDS. IT SEEMS GUENUINE TO ME, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYONE IN RECEIPT OF WORKING TAX CREDIT HAS SUCCESSFULLY MANAGED TO GET THIS DONE FOR FREE, AND HOW DO YOU INFORM THEM BOTH OF WHAT BENEFIT YOUR ON. SORRY IF THIS SOUNDS A BIT CONFUSING.

• 1 month later...

I have had 2 Miller Patterson Salesmen cold-call me today pretending to be working for the government IE The Government Grants Scheme. They were not salesmen they said so therefore the request for salespeople 'not to ring my doorbell' notice displayed upon my door and the 'No Cold Calling' area sign displayed at the end of the street did not apply to them as quote 'The were working for the Government on this Government Scheme'.

Miller Patterson therefore are employing liars and are a company are using dubious sales methods to obtain orders. A fiddle :violin:

Cheers Sant Iago

• 5 weeks later...

I had the folks come to my door regarding the free "survey" for my loft insulation... The young lady was very pleasant but didn't actually survey anything, she just wrote down what I told her. She told me that as a standard householder I would need to pay £199 to have my insulation increased.... I thought that £199 to insulate a 66 square metre attic was very reasonable.

The guys arrived to day to carry out the work in a big truck with "Miller Pattinson" logo's on it so I was sure they weren't just a random set of people subcontracted to complete the work.

The two guys were very cheerful and pleasant and the work was completed within 1.5 hours.... I paid the £199 charge over the phone using a credit card.

I checked the attic after they left and sure enough, the insulation has been boosted to what looks to be about 9 inches (hey, I'm a bloke and we tend to exaggerate our inches but it seems about that depth)....

To be honest I was sceptical about this service initially, but the reality has proven to be pain free and completed quickly and cheerfully at what I consider to be a good price.

Anyone in the PO9 area can be assured that the service is good.

Be gentle - first post !!

• 2 months later...

Miller Pattison - Are Government Grants legitimate? YES!!! [Loft Insulation - I don't know about cavity insulation]. Brighton area.

If you are over 70 or collecting certain benefits and you currently have less than 60mm of insulation in your loft Miller Pattison will install an extra 200mm for free.

My mum is 72 and Miller Patitison just installed loft insulation for FREE!!!

Cold call sign-up but afterwards Miller Pattison communication and installation was all A1. The installers [from Salisbury] arrived when expected and were very nice and extremely helpful. Insulation was all installed about 1.5 months after sign-up.

Obviously you need to empty stuff from the loft before MP can install insulation but this is only to be expected. Overall my experience of Miller Pattison and of the Government grant scheme for free loft insulation was very good.

• 2 months later...

SIG Energy Management previously known as:

• MILLER ENERGY SERVICES LIMITED/MILLER PATTISON LIMITED
  • MILLER FIBREGLASS INSULATIONS (NORTHERN) LIMITED/MILLER ENERGY SERVICES LIMITED
  • A.M. MILLER INSULATIONS (NORTHERN) LIMITED/MILLER FIBREGLASS INSULATIONS (NORTHERN) LIMITED

My Mother, 74, recently had a visit from one of their salesmen. (Norfolk)

He offered to have her loft insulated for free as long as she paid £199.00 for the cavity insulation.

He used her phone to contact his office. When the office called back he told her to say that a full survey had been done. His "survey" failed to notice that the loft has a fully boarded floor.

She signed up to get rid of him as she felt intimidated.

I called to cancel a couple of days later and they just laughed.

The insulation is a good idea with positive benefits but from our experience i'll look elsewhere for a provider.

• 5 weeks later...
SIG Energy Management previously known as:

• MILLER ENERGY SERVICES LIMITED/MILLER PATTISON LIMITED
  • MILLER FIBREGLASS INSULATIONS (NORTHERN) LIMITED/MILLER ENERGY SERVICES LIMITED
  • A.M. MILLER INSULATIONS (NORTHERN) LIMITED/MILLER FIBREGLASS INSULATIONS (NORTHERN) LIMITED
My Mother, 74, recently had a visit from one of their salesmen. (Norfolk)

He offered to have her loft insulated for free as long as she paid £199.00 for the cavity insulation.

He used her phone to contact his office. When the office called back he told her to say that a full survey had been done. His "survey" failed to notice that the loft has a fully boarded floor.

She signed up to get rid of him as she felt intimidated.

I called to cancel a couple of days later and they just laughed.

The insulation is a good idea with positive benefits but from our experience i'll look elsewhere for a provider.

Hi I have just started working as a surveyor for miller Patterson , I have no sales experience just 8 years in construction industry. We have a full and comprehensive surveyor training before we are allowed to even touch a drill.

It's true that people may see it as cold calling but it is more like making homeowners and the elderly aware of the grants that are put in place not only in a way of taxing your energy provider as they have to foot the bill for at least 80% of the work and in a lot of cases 100% but also away of reducing co2 . I have to trapse round the streets for 8hrs a day in all weather conditions to try and save people money. I guess we as Brits are to scepticle and don't know a good thing when it slaps you in the face.

I refuse to be brainwashed into acting like a salesman I just have a conversation with the homeowner but as soon as you mention the word energy they just slam the door.. The only thing that keeps me going is the thought that in the long run I will be saving people there hard earned cash..

So please people of merseyside realise a good thing when you have it offered as these grants will soon be cut and when any future residential emissions legislation comes into effect you will be the first ones crying when your been taxed on these emissions ..

• 4 weeks later...
Con,

The sales guy came round said all i needed was to pay the £99. The thug turned up and demanded £300 to start the work. Lucky i wasn't a little old lady.

Not the actions of a reputable company.

My brother works on behalf of Miller Patterson and this is not the case what so ever. Payment would only be exchanged on completion of the work. I have recently bought a house and had my Loft and wall insulations done. It cost me £348 in total and they did a really good job. The whole message that you have written is completely wrong and infact it angers me that you are giving this respectable company a bad name. Who ever has come round to your house would have not been working for Miller Patterson and if they were would have had id!!!:x

• 3 weeks later...

I was visited by a French woman on Friday. She spoke very quickly; I caught the following: "didn't you get your grant?" "free" "SIG Energy" "all of your neighbours have signed up" etc....

Before I knew it, she had made her way into my house (forget the fact I tried to tell her I was in the middle of feeding my 9 month old grandson). I tried to get rid of her by letting her know I didn't have a ladder to the loft, but she said it didn't matter - she was used to climbing. She fell in my bath (with unemptied bath water - oops!) I did not feel sorry for her at all! But it didn't stop her.

She then phoned for her boss who was outside my house in less than a minute! So then there were 4 of them, and I felt pressured and I told them I was uncomfortable with so many of them in my home. That didn't stop them; they made themselves comfortable in the front room, uninvited (remember, the french woman had wet feet from falling in the bath!). They asked for ID, then said some more about "free" then I heard £199 and clear your own loft. I quickly took the contract, scanned through it to find the cancellation in 7 days option, signed it and they left. Before this though, they used my phone to ring the office, allegedly a freephone number (I'll be checking). The person on the other end of the phone tried to give me an installation date of less than 1 month. I said it wouldn't happen; they said they would need to use that date anyway and I could change the date later.

Anyway, on Monday, I filled in the cancellation form and sent it to them, recorded delivery. If I'm going to do loft insulation, I will not be railroaded into making the decision - these people are ruthless salespeople, clearly on commission. I've had double glazing and built-in furniture suppliers do the same "call the office" nonsense.

I don't trust them (but that obviously is my opinion). I'm tracking my recorded delivery letter with Royal Mail, to make sure they get it!

By the way, SIG and Miller Pattison share the same address, hhmmm..........

This is an excerpt from the Companies House Register, for SIG Energy Management:

Previous Names:

Date of change Previous Name

12/04/1989 MILLER ENERGY SERVICES LIMITED

10/04/1984 A.M. MILLER INSULATIONS (NORTHERN) LIMITED

22/10/1985 MILLER FIBREGLASS INSULATIONS (NORTHERN) LIMITED

06/01/2011 MILLER PATTISON LIMITED

Does anyone know why a company would have to change their name so often?

Edited by Suspicious Mind
more information to add

• 3 months later...

I had this company put cavity insulation in in 2005 they have been back twice since but it is still not fixed 6 years later I still have a problem They used Rockwool

I had the Rockwool guy out today he says they did not use the correct drill pattern or "blow" it in correctly so creating empty spaces resulting in cold damp areas

they havent done the paperwork correctly so I have an unauthorised installation and no Building Regulation certificate Registered letters are ignored by the head office

DONT TOUCH THEM