• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

LLoyds Card agreement BEFORE 1985???

vjohn82
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4331 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I got almost the same letter from Barclaycard. It isn't that the debt is old but that I have had the card from before 1985. It has been run perfectly since then until this year when I hit financial trouble. So is the stat-barred letter still applicable?

Right... the important thing is that the debt is active and has been a facility used upto fairly recent.

The problem is that when I made a CCA request they returned with this letter stating that because the account was opened before 1985 they do not have an obligation to provide it.

I'm just wondering whether this was correct? I thought in order to take enforcement action they still needed a CCA? :confused:

I got almost the same letter from Barclaycard. It isn't that the debt is old but that I have had the card from before 1985. It has been run perfectly since then until this year when I hit financial trouble. So is the stat-barred letter still applicable?

Stat barred is only for debts which you have not made a payment on or acknowledged for 6 years.

Sounds like you are in the same situation I am in.

'we have no obligation to provide you with a copy'..'but we are endevouring to find a copy'..'and be assured we would not have opened a credit card agreement unless we had a sight of a signed agreement' bloody hell this is the most self serving crap I have seen for a long time, we dont have a copy..we are looking for it....we definetely have a copy..unbelievable..put the account into default..if they have a signed copy they would have to produce it in court

does anyone from the site team know of this 'law' where they do not have to supply a signed agreement because it was done in the 1980's or is this just another example of a bank trying it on?

Well the Consumer Credit Act is from 1974... so I would guess every credit agreement would need to be in compliance with it from 1974 onwards.

However, I am of the belief that if this document is so vital to their claim to financial recompense then they would have the some way of accessing it fairly quickly. Otherwise, it's just carelessness.

Well the Consumer Credit Act is from 1974... so I would guess every credit agreement would need to be in compliance with it from 1974 onwards.

However, I am of the belief that if this document is so vital to their claim to financial recompense then they would have the some way of accessing it fairly quickly. Otherwise, it's just carelessness.

The parts relating to a signed agreement are part of the original 1974 act, that came into being in 1976.

They still need the agreement to go to court.

S78 was brought into force on 19.5.1985. Schedule 3 of the 1974 act states that s.78 applies to an agreement made before 19.5.1985 where the agreement would have been regulated agreement if made on that day.

As such under regulation 9 of the copy documents regulations specifies that in the case of an agreement made before 19.5.1985 it is sufficient to supply a copy of the current terms - that acts as a true copy.

Obviously only for s78, not for court.

S78 was brought into force on 19.5.1985. Schedule 3 of the 1974 act states that s.78 applies to an agreement made before 19.5.1985 where the agreement would have been regulated agreement if made on that day.

As such under regulation 9 of the copy documents regulations specifies that in the case of an agreement made before 19.5.1985 it is sufficient to supply a copy of the current terms - that acts as a true copy.

Obviously only for s78, not for court.

That's how I read it too... thanks for the opinion... it's appreciated.

:)

The copies of docs regulation appears to me to be saying they can only send current terms & conditions if the original has been lost by accident or other cause beyond the creditors control. So if they have lost it or destroyed it deliberately then they cannot comply with your s78 request.

Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983

9 Copies of old agreements and security instruments where the agreement or security instrument has been lost etc

Any copy of an executed agreement made before 19th May 1985 or of a security instrument relating to security provided before that date which is given to the debtor, hirer or surety under any provision of the Act on or after that date may comprise an easily legible statement of the current terms of the agreement or security as the case may be insofar as they are known to the creditor or owner where, due to an accident or some other cause beyond his control, the creditor or owner does not have in his possession the executed agreement or security instrument or any copy thereof.

Regards

Cadwallader

• 2 years later...
Nope!

From what I understand they can fulfil the requirements of your CCA request by using a "reconstructed" agreement, but they cannot Enforce, ie take you to court without the original. So be careful and take CAG's advice on how to sign any communications, because you don't want a signature to suddenly appear on an old agreement, if you see what I mean :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok... big question then...

Does an agreement made before 1985 have to have the prescribed terms (if they have one) to be enforceable in court?

the agreement would still have to have the prescribed terms...but the question is moot as they dont have it...so would be unable to enforce anyway

From what I understand they can fulfil the requirements of your CCA request by using a "reconstructed" agreement, but they cannot Enforce, ie take you to court without the original. So be careful and take CAG's advice on how to sign any communications, because you don't want a signature to suddenly appear on an old agreement, if you see what I mean :D

Thanks caledfwlch, BC responded to my s78 request some time ago and stated 'under s78, we must supply you with a copy of your executed agreement and a statement of account which is practicable to refer. However, Regulation 9 of the 1983 Regulations mentioned above states for accounts opened before 19th May 1985 such as yours, we can send a copy of your current executed credit agreement'. They supplied four pages of conditions (not executed).

the agreement would still have to have the prescribed terms...but the question is moot as they dont have it...so would be unable to enforce anyway

BC sold the debt and the DCA is going to have a go as they have issued a claim through the bulk processing system! It could be that they are chancing their arm as I am one of a few that this has happened to in the last couple of weeks!

Andyorch is on the case for me and others and if anyone else has anything to add, it would be appreciated!

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?349319-Claim-issued-will-need-some-help-please!

Thanks

Dotty

I am assuming the posters are advising you to defend on lack of cca plus any charges etc that will have been added to the account no doubt inflating the figure they are trying to claim....normally with dca's once you oppose the n1 they normally back down...not always..but normally..the idea of putting it through the bulk centre is they are hoping it will go through unappossed

as a further aside this is going to be a case of economics...if and when you oppose whether it will be economically viable for them to go further into the system which means they will have to employ solicitors, etc in order to go to court....all of which costs....even if they do go this far it leaves open the question on whether they can win?....that is normally in the hands of dj on the day....

Ok... big question then...

Does an agreement made before 1985 have to have the prescribed terms (if they have one) to be enforceable in court?

Read here :- http://www.the-repossessed.com/judge_caddick_judgement.htm

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread