Euro Car Park Ticket

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5236 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Everyone!

Registered here because I've just been given a ticket!

Basically I parked at St Georges Retail park in Leicester, on the emptiest bit of the car park, and walked into town, because I had a job interview. The main reason I parked here was because I just cannot afford to pay £3/4 a time to park in a paid car park, due to my financial circumstances!

Is there any way I can get around not paying this charge? I know full well it was my fault, and it does state that anyone leaving the site that leaves there car there could be fined.

But in my defence, I did use the KFC on the site afterwards (Y)

Regards

jaspen,

If this is a private car park, you can challenge the ticket using the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999 Schedule 2 (1)(e). This approach will not work if the car park is owned by Leicester Council.

The parking charges constitute an unfair penalty under reference to paragraph 1(e) of Schedule 2 of the said regulations:

Indicative and non-exhaustive list of terms which may be regarded as unfair - 1. Terms which have the object or effect of - (e) requiring any consumer who fails his obligation to pay a disproportionately high sum in compensation’.

The argument will follow the same line as bank charges because you agree that you are in breach of contract but the charges for your breach is disproportionate to the offence.

Thanks for the reply mate. It is a private car park yes.

The thing is, the only proof they have is whoever issued the ticket, as there is no CCTV monitoring the car park. (I have a look around before I left to make sure). So could I just claim that I wasn't driving? I've had a read around the forum, and have come to the conclusion that I can either do this, or ignore them totally?

Obviously lying is wrong, but if it saves me £70..

Yes. Read through the posts in this forum, you'll find plenty of people in similar situations to you.

Expect plenty more letters, some will come from debt collectors and solicitors stating they "MAY" take you to court... they are hoping to scare you into paying, but fortunately for you, you've done your research and realise that what they are doing is a legal [problem].

jaspen,

You do not need to be scared. Their action is unlawful already by charging disproportionate fees.

Like everyone is saying here and in other parking thread, just ignore them.

If they eventually decide to take you to court, do not forget to comeback for help.

I've not got a lot of expertise in this area, so simply ignoring it won't harm my credit rating or anything like that will it? I know I've not taken any credit out, but normally when debt collectors come its due to credit not being paid.

Don't confuse debt collectors with bailiffs.

The former are just ordinary private companies with no powers whatsoever. They can only write letters and make phonecalls - they can't even take legal action because any debts aren't theirs.

For your credit to be affected, you'd have to be taken to court, lose and still refuse to pay after 28 days. If that happened (it won't), then credit issues and bailiff problems would arise.

It's all theoretical though. Euro run a well known mail [problem] and have never taken anyone to court (they're a big company and the last thing they want is their shady goings on in the media).

Euro [problem] just involves ignoring letters from them, Brinx and Control Account. Then they go away.

• 1 month later...

Alrite chaps?

Got the letter through today:

EURO CAR PARKS: PARKING CHARGE NOTICE ENFORCEMENT

It lists the car park as:

JUNCTION - LEICESTER

and contravention as:

OTHER

Not sure if this means anything special to be fair.

Also wondering if they can obtain my phone number in any way? I'm on the electoral register and stuff, I'm gonna ignore the letters, I just don't want them hassling my mum on the phone, cos then she'll hassle me!;)

Edited by jaspen

Nah I'm not in the directory mate, I will just laugh at them when they ring. Why couldnt they write what the contravention actually was, rather than other, lazy buggers

They can't write what the contravention was coz there wasn't one! :D

EURO CAR PARKS: PARKING CHARGE NOTICE ENFORCEMENT

It lists the car park as:

JUNCTION - LEICESTER

and contravention as:

OTHER

Not sure if this means anything special to be fair.

So it's an invoice which doesn't even explain what it's for?

This just demonstrates how they just chuck out tens of letters each day and then collect the cheques in the morning.

These vultures are revolting companies, but Euro and NCP are especially despicable.

Carry on ignoring and you should receive a letter from Brinx. And guess who owns Brinx? Euro Car Park no less.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

Got a letter through today from Control Account PLC

Dear Mr *******

Client: EURO CAR PARKS LTD

Account No: 01530000197

Ref No: 907444

Amount Due: £98.75

We have been instructed by our above named Client and regret to note that you have failed to contact them with your proposals for settlement of this overdue account (not sure when i opened an account with them..)

This account has been passed to ourselves with firm instructions to commence Litigation and to obtain Judgment against you. Such a course of action may have an adverse affect on your ability to obtain credit and would include costs, court fees and interest which may disproportionately increase the amount outstanding.

To avoid this, please telephone the undersigned within five working days of the date of this letter or send your payment, by return, to the above address.

Cheques or Postal Orders should be made payable to Controlaccount plc.

Yours sincerely

MERLYN SMITH

Collections Dept

So... Do I carry on ignoring?

I'd say continue ignoring.

I got a similar type PCN and stupidly paid it! £50 down the pan. 4 months later I got another one and followed the advice on here and ignored it. I parked there again (I shop there regularly) and as I was walking into the shops I saw the car park attendant making note of all the car regs. His eyes lit up when he saw mine, something must have flashed up on his little PDA - unpaid ticket? Anyway, that was at least 2 months ago and still nothing has come through the letter box.