• Tweets

• Better version attached with the late appeal explained more clearly for the judge. This will sound silly, but I think it would be a good idea to e-mail it to the court and UKPC on Sunday.  It's probably me being daft, but Sunday is still March, and as it's late, sending it in March rather than April will make it sound like it was less late than it really is.  if you get my drift. You can still pop in a paper version on Tuesday if you want. E-mail address for the court: [email protected] And for UKPC: [email protected]   [email protected] Defendant WS.pdf
    • Update 15th March the eviction notice period expired, and I paid my next month rent along with sending them the message discussed above. After a short while they just emailed me back this dry phrase "Thank you for your email." In two weeks' time I'm gonna need to pay the rent again, and I have such a feeling that shortly after that date the contracts will be exchanged and all the payments will be made.  Now my main concern is, if possible, not to end up paying rent after I move out.  
    • they cant 'take away' anything, what ever makes you believe that?  dx  
    • The text on the N1SDT Claim Form 1.The claim is for breaching the terms and conditions set on private land. 2. The defendant's vehicle, NumberPlate, was identified in the Leeds Bradford Airport Roadways on the 28/07/2023 in breach of the advertised terms and conditions; namely Stopping in a zone where stopping is prohibited 3.At all material times the Defendant was the registered keeper and/or driver. 4. The terms and conditions upon  entering private land were clearly displayed at the entrance and in prominent locations 5. The sign was the offer and the act of entering private land was the acceptance of the offer hereby entering into a contract by conduct. 6.The signs specifically detail the terms and conditions and the consequences of failure to comply,  namely a parking charge notice will be issued, and the Defendant has failed to settle the outstanding liability. 7.The claimant seeks the recovery of the parking charge notice, contractual costs and interest.   This is what I am thinking of for the wording of my defence The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim are vague and are generic in nature which fails to comply with CPR 16.4. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made. 1. Paragraph 1 is denied. It is denied that the Defendant ever entered into a contract to breach any terms and conditions of the stated private land. 2. Paragraph 2 and 4 are denied. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was only contracted to provide car park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. 3. It is admitted that Defendant is the recorded keeper of the vehicle. 4.  Paragraph 6 is denied the claimant has yet to evidence that their contract with the landowner supersedes  Leeds Bradford airport byelaws. Further it is denied that the Claimant’s signage is capable of creating a legally binding contract. 5. Paragraph 7 is denied, there are no contractual costs and interest cannot be accrued on a speculative charge.   I'm not sure whether point 4 is correct as I think this side road is not covered by byelaws? Any other suggestions/corrections would be appreciated.
    • Dear EVRi parcelnet LTD t/a evri   evri parcelnet isnt a thing also you say defendant's response which is a bit of a weird format.   Something like   Dear EVRi, Claim no xxxx In your defence you said you could not access tracking. Please see attached receipt and label Regards
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Hit a Pedestrian Whilst Driving

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5289 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello - first post so apologies if its in the wrong place!

My partner was involved in a car accident where she hit a pedestrian. Without going into the finer points there were three witnesses, all of whom support my partner stating that he just walked out on her and that there was nothing she could do. Essentially there were three lanes of traffic two of which were gridlocked, he weaved between the the first two lanes but didnt realise the third lane was still moving and walked straight out into the lane without looking.

We also had the police come round to take photographs of the car who also confirmed that it was a low speed accident - about 20mph in his opinion. The only damage was the windscreen which was smashed, but the rest of the car was fine. The gentleman was not so lucky, more so as he was 70 - a fractured leg, minor head injury, and possibly some spinal issues although we dont know whether that is just precautionary.

My partner has just paid £70 excess to replace the windscreen and the insurers are not counting it as a claim as the moment as there is no damage to the car itself (so she doesnt need to pay the full excess). However she is worried that in this day and age we will be faced with a personal injury claim.

I was wondering whether there is anything preventing us from claiming the excess back from the gentleman plus costs of the recovery (could be up to £180). My partner was also going onto a course that day which was another £100 plus other indirect costs.

I am prepared to write this off and just put it down to one of those things even though all the evidence points to his negligence. I am just a bit concerned that if a speculative injury claim comes in we could be put into a weaker position by not claiming first. The alternative is to claim against him personally but is that just callous?

I think you are right to be cautious about this.

From what you have described the accident was clearly the fault of the pedestrian, and as such you can claim any monies you have paid out from him. I agree it does seem a bit callous, but on the other hand, as you quite rightly point out what if he then makes a claim against you no doubt through one of the many 'Had an accident we'll get you compensation' type companies.

I would be tempted to wait and see if that happens, and at that stage I would launch a counter claim, it doesn't make your position weaker by not launching a pre-emptive strike (in some cases that could trigger a counter claim from him).

Should any claim be launched against you then your insurers will deal with it, and for it to be successful they would have to show you were negligent, which from your OP would be very difficult for them to prove.

At the end of the day it's your call and without a crystal ball it's difficult to know what to do for the best

Mossy

Don't be too sure your partners completely 'innocent' as there may be other factors which may contribute to there negligence

eg was their a public footpath adjacent was it a built up area had other pedestrians already crossed the road. In otherwords is there any evidence whatsoever that pedestrians might emerge from between vehicles If so 'extreme' caution should have been exercised

Remember in the eyes of the law the principal road user IS the pedestrian

Don't be too sure your partners completely 'innocent' as there may be other factors which may contribute to there negligence

eg was their a public footpath adjacent was it a built up area had other pedestrians already crossed the road. In otherwords is there any evidence whatsoever that pedestrians might emerge from between vehicles If so 'extreme' caution should have been exercised

Remember in the eyes of the law the principal road user IS the pedestrian

Mossy - thanks my view too is to leave it unless he claims.

Jon - Was a footpath either side so you wouldnt expect a pedestrian to cross there any more than anywhere else. It is a known busy road which is why there is a designated crossing a few tens of metres away.

I take your point though but if someone walks out in front of the car about 5 metres ahead of you there is very little you can do in those circumstances. Thankfully there are three witnesses who all say the same thing.

I'm not sure I agree with you that in the eyes of the law the principal (guess it depends what you mean by principal!) road user is the pedestrian, but in any case I believe the law states it is assumed that the vehicle driver is in the right and is up to the claimant to prove negligence, not the other way round.

The law DOES recognize the pedestrian as the principal road user A pedestrian can go virtually anywhere including the wrong way up a one way street etc. That said it doesn't matter what the 3 witnesses say as like most here they don't understand. If there was the possibility that a pedestrian might appear from between the stationary traffic then the driver should have been traveling at such a speed that a collision would have been avoided. This seems unlikely as the pedestrian impacted the windscreen causing damage which suggests the driver was traveling to fast for the traffic conditions. you can try suing the pedestrian but I doubt you'll be successful In fact if I had a choice of representing either party it would be the pedestrian & NOT the driver

As a motor claims handler I'd take a different opinion.

Where a pedestrian has come from the offside (on a two way street regardless of number of lanes) I tend to favour the pedestrian and feel the motorist should have seen them, however in this instance the pedestrian came from the nearside and cut through two lanes of stationary traffic, that traffic could have started moving at any minute so the onus is on the pedestrian to exercise more care, especially since he had a third lane of traffic to negotiate. Additionally, there was a pedestrian crossing not too far from the accident scene, this was ignored by the pedestrian.

Whilst I accept that there is also a duty of care on the driver, I feel that the low speed involved in this accident does show that the OP was driving according to prevailing road conditions and could hardly anticipate a pedestrain emerging from a line of stationery traffic.

If this landed on my desk I'd fight for the motorist in this one

Mossy

Mossy I suspect you would lose particularly as the extent of the damage broken windscreen etc does not indicate a slow enough speed for the circumstances. The driver should have been prepared for just such an event pedestrians emerging from between stationary traffic

The gentleman was not so lucky, more so as he was 70 - a fractured leg, minor head injury, and possibly some spinal issues although we dont know whether that is just precautionary.

lmao and you want him to pay the excess?

Don't worry & although there may be some contributory negligence on his part the pedestrian will almost certainly be suing the motorist for what might be a substantial sum of money

having been on a course to avoid a fine and points 4 doing 36 in a 30 which i may add was well worth the £72 i can confirm the padestrian is the principal road user

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

We also had the police come round to take photographs of the car who also confirmed that it was a low speed accident - about 20mph in his opinion. The only damage was the windscreen which was smashed, but the rest of the car was fine. ??????? seems to me your more concerned with the car damage. to me the damage shows that it wasnt a low speed crash. i feel sorry for the old man . and to add insult to injury you want him to pay the excess. disgracefull i say

the gentleman must have hit the screen at quite some force 4 it to smash

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

If it hadn't been a pedestrian (who had ignored a pedestrian crossing and had chosen to walk out from a line of stationary traffic into the path of a vehicle) and had been another driver emerging from a side road then we wouldn't be having a discussion about recovering excess.

Negligence is negligence whether behind the wheel or on foot, and the OP was merely using this forum to ask what his options were. If you read the posts fully you will note the OP has stated he will wait to see if a claim is made against him before he launches a claim for the losses he suffered, which incidentally he wouldn't have had the pedestrian not done what he did.

Injuries sustained are unfortunate but do not negate the facts of the case.

Mossy

The law DOES recognize the pedestrian as the principal road user A pedestrian can go virtually anywhere including the wrong way up a one way street etc. That said it doesn't matter what the 3 witnesses say as like most here they don't understand. If there was the possibility that a pedestrian might appear from between the stationary traffic then the driver should have been traveling at such a speed that a collision would have been avoided. This seems unlikely as the pedestrian impacted the windscreen causing damage which suggests the driver was traveling to fast for the traffic conditions. you can try suing the pedestrian but I doubt you'll be successful In fact if I had a choice of representing either party it would be the pedestrian & NOT the driver

I didnt want to mention earlier but one of the witnesses was an off duty police officer so I think their statement would be more accurate than most! Re speed its a difficult one, it seems that had the speed been 10 mph then the accident would have still occured. I think a deal of pragmatism is required, as for instance I can run a half marathon faster than 10mph which would render the car useless!

The gentleman was not so lucky, more so as he was 70 - a fractured leg, minor head injury, and possibly some spinal issues although we dont know whether that is just precautionary.

lmao and you want him to pay the excess?

correct. If culpability is proven then I dont see the injury as being relevant. That said I will only follow this up if he makes a claim first.

the gentleman must have hit the screen at quite some force 4 it to smash

Depends what you mean by smash - I dont mean into pieces. Just lots of cracks. I was told by the collision investigation unit that if he was hit at 30mph plus then he would have been flipped the other side of the vehicle.

Apparantly even at 10 mph you would be flipped onto the windscreen. We may agree to differ on the term excessive speed!

We also had the police come round to take photographs of the car who also confirmed that it was a low speed accident - about 20mph in his opinion. The only damage was the windscreen which was smashed, but the rest of the car was fine. ??????? seems to me your more concerned with the car damage. to me the damage shows that it wasnt a low speed crash. i feel sorry for the old man . and to add insult to injury you want him to pay the excess. disgracefull i say

I think you and one or two others need to read the original post more carefully! If the concensus is that its up to the driver in 99% of cases as I get the feeling here then quite simply if I fancy a quick buck it would just be advantageous to throw yourself in front of a car as its never the pedestrians fault!

The post now is irrelevant anyway - I have been informed that case law these days presents a simple test. What would have happened had the car been travelling at e.g. 5mph, would the accident still have occured? I have also been told that in this instance the pedestrian has ignored the highway code which although in itself is not law it is referred to in the traffic act. Simply put a pedestrian should use a designated crossing point where one exists. If you decide to cross you should do so where drivers are in a position to see you and should avoid crossing between parked cars. Finally Parked vehicles. If you have to cross between parked vehicles, use the outside edges of the vehicles as if they were the kerb. Stop there and make sure you can see all around and that the traffic can see you. Make sure there is a gap between any parked vehicles on the other side, so you can reach the pavement. Never cross the road in front of, or behind, any vehicle with its engine running, especially a large vehicle, as the driver may not be able to see you.

Someone made reference to the car - I couldnt give a stuff about it. I just dont want to see someone potentially profit from their own negligence. In days gone it would have just been classed as an incident and everyone would have moved on in a situation such as this.

I think you and one or two others need to read the original post more carefully! If the concensus is that its up to the driver in 99% of cases as I get the feeling here then quite simply if I fancy a quick buck it would just be advantageous to throw yourself in front of a car as its never the pedestrians fault!

The post now is irrelevant anyway - I have been informed that case law these days presents a simple test. What would have happened had the car been travelling at e.g. 5mph, would the accident still have occured? I have also been told that in this instance the pedestrian has ignored the highway code which although in itself is not law it is referred to in the traffic act. Simply put a pedestrian should use a designated crossing point where one exists. If you decide to cross you should do so where drivers are in a position to see you and should avoid crossing between parked cars. Finally Parked vehicles. If you have to cross between parked vehicles, use the outside edges of the vehicles as if they were the kerb. Stop there and make sure you can see all around and that the traffic can see you. Make sure there is a gap between any parked vehicles on the other side, so you can reach the pavement. Never cross the road in front of, or behind, any vehicle with its engine running, especially a large vehicle, as the driver may not be able to see you.

Someone made reference to the car - I couldnt give a stuff about it. I just dont want to see someone potentially profit from their own negligence. In days gone it would have just been classed as an incident and everyone would have moved on in a situation such as this.

Exactly

And that's why if a claim like this landed on my desk I would defend the driver

Mossy

I hit an old pedestrian while driving myself a few years ago,he was quite badly injured,ribs broken and his left leg right arm and shoulder,my car was damaged but I managed to sue him for the repairs as it was his fault stepping out,I did call an ambulance for him etc

I'm not going to continue arguing about this but those who advocate the pedestrian was totally to blame are wrong (including those who claim to have won) I would also mention that 'parked' cars are NOT 'stationary' traffic & that the traffic being 'stationary' gives the impression that ALL lanes are stationary & that any GOOD driver would be aware of this possibility so would drive accordingly

As to the 'correct'' way to cross the road I'm afraid we must allow for other people such as pedestrains to do other than follow the rules & whoever stated that pedestrians are at fault if they don't knows little of both the criminal or civil law

Sorry but the argument that you should have been driving according to the conditions etc. doesn't wash. Not morally and not legally. I take it that those who claim this always brake to less than 5mph EVERY SINGLE TIME you see a pedestrian anywhere near the side of a pavement?

Imagine you are going through a 20 zone at 20mph, in fine normal conditions etc., there is a sole pedestrian walking along the pavement, showing no intention whatsoever to walk out. Then, just as you are driving past, the pedestrian jumps into the road right in front of you, you have no chance to react and you hit him. Don't lie, you would deny completely it was your fault, wouldn't you? And you'd be right, it would be the pedestrian's fault. You are actually saying a driver is at fault if a pedestrian walks out right in front of their car just as they are driving past?!

I agree completely with Hillwalker and Mossycat. The pedestrian was negligent for obviously not looking where he was going on a known busy road in very busy traffic, and also omitting to use a designated crossing. If you choose to walk out into a road, it's completely your responsibility to ensure you look where you are going. You can't blame an innocent car driver for hitting you if you are weaving between cars and stepping out in front on moving vehicles with no warning.

Give the OP a break, he's said enough times that he would only use court action as a defence in case the pedestrian went through one of those injury claims solicitors you see on TV constantly between Countdown, Deal or No Deal and Place in the Sun. If this had happened to me I would do exactly the same thing. If the case landed in my office I would without the tiniest shred of doubt fight for the driver in this one.

While I have sympathy for the injured man, that should NOT cloud your judgment - by the description given it is clearly his fault, and any damages arising should be paid by him and not the driver. Last time I checked, being injured due to your own negligence is not an excuse to avoid being held culpable for your actions.

There is a tendency for people to emotionally jump to the defence of the more injured party just out of sympathy, even if they are clearly in the wrong. This is understandable but the wrong thing to do. This is seen on a weekly basis when innocent car drivers involved in accidents with motorcyclists who die attempting plain stupid manoevres are villified despite being the innocent party.

Yes, the pedestrian has the right of way on our roads, but that doesn't make you immune from blame if you are stupid enough to walk out right in front of a moving car.

Edited by Tom87

Tom in your scenario then yes the pedestrian would be liable but that's not what happened here. The OP was passing stationary vehicles & as there was/is a pavement nearby they SHOULD have been aware that a pedestrian might emerge between the vehicles............ remember the pink elephant ad! be prepared for the unexpected

Sure, but the guideline is to treat the "road side" (as opposed to the pavement side) of a row of parked/stationary cars as the edge of a pavement curb...i.e. when you get to the outer side of between two parked cars you should look both ways and check it's clear before walking out into the moving traffic, rather than just walking out without even bothering to look.

Obviously I wasn't there so it's hard to comment but from the OP's story, the pedestrian deserves at the very least some of the blame. Also I'm not sure the speed of the car matters, for example a car insurer would certainly not care...look how often you see people coming on here and other forums admitting they were at fault for an accident but saying they feel it's unfair because the other car was speeding. As I'm sure you know, the insurer couldn't care less how fast the other car was going and it doesn't affect the placement of blame if you were the one that started it. Surely it's the same with a pedestrian: if you decide to walk out into a road (or across a road behind a load of stationary cars), and a car is driving past right at that minute and can't stop, it doesn't matter if the car was going at 5mph or 100mph, you still should have been looking where you were going.