Most Recent Legislation - yellow lines and zig zags

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4000 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Are are you saying the No Stopping on Entrance Markings sign invokes a Controlled Parking Zone, which automatically includes any single yellow lines. If so, how far does the CPZ extend, because there are yellow lines either side of both the sets of zigzags too?

Sorry I must have confused you. When I said "what I was attempting to describe above" I was referring to my post immediately preceeding which responded with your first picture. The reason I keep mentioning the CPZ is because you keep mentioning the absence of a sign indicating the time of operation of the SYL but you are unclear whether you are in a CPZ or not and do not seem to know that in a CPZ SYL time plates are not required.

If not, just to clarify, I haven't parked over the words,

I know, I spotted that and have explained how you should argue that the zig-zags behind your car are a separate retriction to those in front.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

• 2 weeks later...
If you were in a CPZ no sign is needed for the yellow lines.

In any event some simple photos to show the fact that you were not on a zig zag but on a SYL will show that you did not commit the alleged contravention. A simple "the contravention did not occur" challenge is all that is required.

Just to let you know that ... it is a CPZ ... but the restriction is 1.30-2.30, which is not when the vehicle was parked! I am about to submit the "the contravention did not occur" message....

On the 28th day, I submitted an online challenge to the PCN as follows:

moz-screenshot.pngThere has been a procedural impropriety (described below) on the part of the enforcement authority.

(a) The photographs clearly show that my vehcile was not parked on school entrance markings.

(b) My vehicle was parked on a single yellow line at a time when parking is allowed.

Possible complications:

1. I moved 6 months ago - and only submitted my logbook for my new address a week ago - so the address on my appeal is different to the address that they wrote to me at (forwarded by Royal Mail). I wonder if they find that they issued the PCN incorrectly, that they will have me for taking too long to update my logbook?

2. Their online form said that I had to include a telephone number, but I just entered 01234567890 because I don't want them phoning me. I wonder if they'll tell me off for not putting in a valid phone number?

You might also want to check the Traffic Regulation Order. It is a sad fact of life that many councils do not have the relevant TRO in place for school zig-zags and it renders them un-enforcable as a result. It gives extra ammunition to any appeal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Possible complications:

1. I moved 6 months ago - and only submitted my logbook for my new address a week ago - so the address on my appeal is different to the address that they wrote to me at (forwarded by Royal Mail). I wonder if they find that they issued the PCN incorrectly, that they will have me for taking too long to update my logbook?

2. Their online form said that I had to include a telephone number, but I just entered 01234567890 because I don't want them phoning me. I wonder if they'll tell me off for not putting in a valid phone number?

Who are "they"?

You have an obligation to provide DVLA with an address at which you can be reached. You have done that as mail sent to you at your old address got to you.

In any event, LA's have no jurisdiction over matters that fall to the DVLA to enforce.

I don't think "they" are likely to call you. Also, I don't think you are under any obligation to give them any phone no.

Nothing in this post constitutes "advice" which I may not, in any event, be qualified to provide.

The only interpretation permitted on this post (or any others I may have made) is that this is what I would personally consider doing in the circumstances discussed. Each and every reader of this post or any other I may have made must take responsibility for forming their own view and making their own decision.

I receive an unwieldy number of private messages. I am happy to respond to messages posted on open forum but am unable to respond to private messages, seeking advice, when the substance of that message should properly be on the open forum.

Many thanks for your assistance and understanding on this.

• 1 month later...

I have just had a private message from someone who got a PCN in a similar situation outside Eastbury Primary School. Apparently they appealed and it was turned down. I am still waiting to hear from the council for a response to my appeal.

They said that they would respond within 3 months, and if they miss this deadline, I am considering making a complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman for failure to respond within their deadline.

What do you think?

PS. I think it unfair that I was given deadlines of 14-days and 28-days to respond, whereas the council gives themsleves 3 months to respond.