Jump to content

Unpaid Income Tax - urgent - sorry

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4323 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts



Sorry dont know too much about this but essentially a relative of my daughter's partner has unpaid income tax to the tune of £4k and has received a letter saying the Bailiffs are coming next week. I told them its a whole new ball game where the Inland Revenue are concerned and I wasnt sure of the protocol.


She is not really talking about what is going on or has gone on - I am presuming that they have sent letters and now it has gone to court and she has not attended hence the bailiffs being sent.


I have told them that they can still talk to the Inland Revenue about payment or trying to set up an arrangement, they can also talk to the bailiffs office - am I correct? Also do the Bailiffs have the right to enter their property - I said they should have a walking possession order before they can enter and should have the police with them - am I correct?


In have also told them to go to the Citizens Advice Bureau or a Solicitor but I dont think they have the money to do this - its a mess for sure.


Sorry I dont know any more details but some advice would be helpful if u can from the info I have set out above.


WT x

Link to post
Share on other sites

The inland revenue don't mess about, they play by the rules and are straight as a die :cool: being a government body they don't cut corners and unless they are extremely lucky will have everything they need in place


If they have a notice that the bailiffs are calling then the IR will have a CCJ against them and are about to collect goods to the value of the debt and they will have the required paperwork and necessary people in attendance normally including a member of the IR who they will be able to talk to about repaying the debt but wont take any BS 8).


They need to contact the Citizens Advice Bureau or call the National Debt Line (0808 808 4000) both are free.



  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

£4k fom the IR should not be causing them severe problems at the moment unless they are ignoring the IR.


The post from CB above is to the point. Its nice to help people who try, but it appears we are trying to help people who cannot be bothered to post but rely on a friend of a relative who met them once.


This is serious, if people do not take control of their own lives someone else will.


The only advice would be - deal with it NOW.



Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi A quick google search came up with this:


Most bailiffs do not have the right to force their way into your home to seize your goods. The only exception is that bailiffs from the Collector of Taxes (Inland Revenue) can get a warrant to force entry, but this is very rare.


Get them to ring up the IR ASAP also ring the bailiff offices.

I agree with the other comments....they MUST deal with it

Link to post
Share on other sites

HMRC are different to most when it comes to collecting debts. When all avenues are exhausted they will go to court and they automatically win. After getting a CCJ they will in view of the sum involved pass it for transfer to the High Court and very soon a HCEO will come a knocking. Don't be surprised if the £4K debt suddenly turns into £5.5K overnight. Don't let your friend play ostriches they have to face this ASAP.



Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running




Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you guys you have said exactly what I thought. All I can do is pass the information on to them. They really do need to deal with this now but I suspect its like some of us may have been in the situation where you just "dont want to know" and "hope it will go away" but of course it won't and the best thing to do is to go to the CAB or NDL.


Thank you once again.


Woody xxxx

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...