what happen to Eversheds

roady38
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5266 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If you had an arrangement with Eversheds they have no business at all asking you to increase this.

Correct. Even the letter stated that "If you have already agreed a repayment plan from Eversheds LLP, please continue to make the payments as usual".

Dumb of them really, as they're only acting as clients of the OC in my case. That's likely to lose them business.

And I've noticed that while the address of the business hasn't changed, the postcode has (from LS2 8HE to LS2 8BX), so as far as I am concrned they could well be in a different office.

Nice to see Fairfax Solicitors is being economical with the truth.

Judging by their listing with the law society it should be Fairfax Solicitor!!! As they only have one registered solicitor working for them.

The Law Society - Find a solicitor

I suggest addressing all enquiries direct to him as he is the legal brains, that should keep him busy!!!

Pookey

I'm in the DCA kicking business ..........and business is good!!!!

confused now and it needs clearing. When I called Fairfax I asked them outright Are you still Eversheds to which they replied Yes.

The address is the same as is the telephone number.

They told me they had only changed their name

They might have the same offices, tel nos. and staff as before but they are now Fairfax - as per the Credit Today article Gyos posted at the beginning of the thread.

This is because Eversheds has sold the whole collections side of its business to Fairfax - including staff and office space by the looks of it.

Seems confusing but I reckon Eversheds have done it so their name is no longer identified as one of the Debt Collection agencies. They are actually a big corporate law firm with offices all over the country so they probably find it embarassing when their name comes up on sites like this when googled. Some of their competitors in the NW are DLA, Pinsents and Addleshaws - none of which I've seen on CAG, but Eversheds are all over it.

They're just trying to distance themselves from the debt collector image.

well i would

its a dirty business being a dca

mud sticks

Agreed. But then again they are a massive firm with loads of resources - makes me wonder if they know more then we do and have sold out now because they don't reckon its going to be profitable for much longer? Scared of CCA's etc because they don't think they'll ever be legally enforceable? Because they will have investigated that aspect.

Makes me wonder if its a sign Caggers are winning!

forumbox_top_left.gifforumbox_top_tile.gifforumbox_top_right.gifforumbox_left_tile.gifclose.gif Debt collection library Follow this link to our debt collection library.

This library contains templates and advice for dealing with debt collectors who act oppressively or unfairly.

This library is work in progress and will be built up over the next few weeks.

forumbox_right_tile.gifforumbox_bottom_left.gifforumbox_bottom_tile.gifforumbox_bottom_right.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I am off internet and back today.

I just received a letter from Fairfax and agreed my porposal payment, they demand I set up standing order with them and encl bank giro with 'EVershed LLP' at the bottom of the letterof ' on it

My question :

1) they send a doogy letter (pl refer to my thread#1), is it in legal pratice to do so, I want to make sure I pay the right person, not causing more trouble in the future

2) they claim they submit the handling over to another nearby court (not my local court dealing with my hearing) but my local court (Just received back today) that no paper submit at all,

3) should I request them more document before I pay them, like letter from OC? Any idea....please!

4) now they suddenly accepted my offer but the giro is paid into eversheds, but Fairfax claiming that they had taken over Eversheds, if that so... then why should I pay Eversheds?

Sorry for the long thread, please what should I do next, they demand money to pay in the banks by next Monday (I am a bit annoy, I just received the letter today and they expect me no delay in mail etc:mad:... and I would not try to talk to them on phone either, therefore if I send them letter then it definitely pass the 'deadline'...)

Thanks to you all and good luck to you all. please any inform and advice would be much appreciated

roady

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't send my CCA request on the date intended, as I was a little bogged down with exam revision, instead, a week after the original Eversheds payment was due, they sent a letter telling me if I didn't phone them with a payment, they would send a doorstep agent to visit me.

So last week I sent a CCQ request with a demand that all communication to be in writing, and also added the bit about revoking license under common law for them to visit.

This letter was signed for yesterday. Today they have phoned me four times (including three times in two minutes). When I refused to confirm any security details and tell them that I had told them writing only, the rather rude guy on the other end of the phone then told me to expect a doorstep visit.

Now, as far as I'm concerned, they have received the letter, as they have signed for it. If they haven't updated their systems, that is their tough luck, as ignorance is no defence in law. Also, they can turn up on the date (no time) that they have advised, because I will get the police involved and prosecute if they turn up.

I've also spoken to the Law Society, who have advised that I need to complain to the Solicitors Regulation Authority, as they have broken the Communications Act on four occasions (all logged) this morning.

I'm also planning on complaining to the Office of Fair Traing, Trading Standards and OFCOM.

So, some questions:

1) Who else can I complain to?

2) Considering they told the person who answered the phone (and did not confirm any security details) that they were going to make a doorstep visit, does that breach any more OFT regulations?

3) What timescale should I leave before I send the complaints off?

Nice to see Fairfax Solicitors is being economical with the truth.

Judging by their listing with the law society it should be Fairfax Solicitor!!! As they only have one registered solicitor working for them.

The Law Society - Find a solicitor

I suggest addressing all enquiries direct to him as he is the legal brains, that should keep him busy!!!

Pookey

And his name is Peter Wordsworth according to the small print on their website. Fairfax Solicitors | Volume Debt Recovery, Collections Services, Litigation

• 4 weeks later...

I checked in my local county court following the pathetic letter which arrived and they had absolutely no knowledge of the matter. I therefore think this is deliberate deception. To my mind they would only deliberately deceive us if they were at it in some way. I think I will write to the supposed new 'owners' of the judgement and ask them to confirm their continued interest and ask if Fairfax Solicitors are duly authorised to collect on their behalf.

I say this because I have reason to believe they will shortly fold. It is a one man band and the admin costs collecting £1 per month times goodness knows how many must be steep. Also, the owners may have lost their licence/gone under.

Can anyone else thinkof anything we can do to ensure we are doing the right thing?

Well, just googled them and found this - so you can write to the new Chairman now! This article was dated 11 November.

JONATHAN Holt has become the chairman of Fairfax Solicitors, the unsecured recoveries business of Eversheds which was acquired in a management buyout.

Mr Holt, former head of commercial and member of the executive board at Eversheds, has taken on the position at the Leeds-based firm.

So, they are still very much connected to Eversheds who are a massive firm of lawyers with offices all over the country! I doubt they will be losing their licence or closing down. Sounds to me like they've just been bought out and are still getting things organised, hence the chaos.

Good idea to write to the owners of the debt though - if they think Fairfax aren't collecting they'll go elsewhere and I'm all for them losing business.