Edf Energy Unexplained Debt.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5298 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi long time no see!

I wondered if anyone could help me, or at least tell me if they have had a similar thing happen to them.

About two years ago, I got behind with my direct debit payments for my electricity and ended up with a £550 debt. I agreed to have a meter installed and cleared the debt at the rate of £10 a week, about seven months ago. I have continued to use the meter, because weirdly I only need to put about £15 a week on it, where as my direct debits were always set up for about £80 a month.

Today I have recieved this letter:

Dear Mrs bad lady that always owes somebody,

As you are aware from our recent contact (didnt get it), we have identified that we need to increase the amount of the balance which is owed to us. We will now increase the amount you are paying through your pre-payment meter by £302.00 the total balance on your meter will be collected at £10.00 per week

We will transfer this amount to your meter automatically, Please be aware that you may notice an increase in the amount you spend as you will also be repaying the outstanding balance that we transfer to the meter.

If you have any questions or would like to query this outstanding amount please contact us within the next seven days, after which the additional debt will be added to your meter without further notice.

Please call our dedicated customer service team free on 0800 015 1733

Your blah blah.

Well, obviously I assumed this was some giant mistake, as far as I am aware the debt was cleared. and I was plodding along nicely safely in the knowledge that I was now in control of my usage and bill.

So I called.

I stated that I disputed the debt, that I wanted a full breakdown of where this charge has come from etc. I was told that of course they would said a statement of my account, but to be honest I have no frame of reference! I asked how this could of happened and he said and I quote " Edf as a company has lost millions, we have had to have another look at everyones bills and you owe us this amount"

I said that I still didnt see how as I paid off what they originally said I owed and have used a meter since,.......he couldnt really answer my questions, but promised to send a statement and a form to make a formal complaint, but meanwhile the paypoints to have the charges deducted had already been informed and the next time I charge my key I will start paying a debt that I dont believe I owe!

Can anybody please help?!

Halifax settled

Halifax (again) settled

Nationwide settled

Natwest settled

Don't forget to donate to this site, they gave us the backbone to put up a fight, we've learnt how to reclaim our rights and proved banks are all nothing but........ rubbish <wink>

Hi Stranger! :p

It would seem that Edf have previously 'mis-calibrated' your meter + deducted what may have been a smaller amount than was necessary from your arrears.

...Obviously now they are attempting to pay catch-up. :rolleyes:

What you need to establish is what your account reading was BEFORE you went into arrears + what it currently stands at...+ what amount of monies that you have paid in between these times.

Your alleged debt will be the discrepancy, if indeed there is one.

...Usually the reverse is true, that peeps find that a meter hasn't been re-calculated once an amount of arrears has been paid + they end up over paying until it is. :(

:)

Hello you! hows things?!

Thanks for your help, all seems a bit sketchy to me!

When I got the pre payment meter, the debt included the outstanding amount, plus the amount they said I had used from the time the last bill was generated and the meter going in.

£300 represents about 5 months worth of electricity!

Maybe I should of kept an eye on the bills and the readings, but I kind of thought that they would know what they were doing. Now its been so long that they can put anything they want on that statement and I will be none the wiser.

I am going to argue it, even if they are right lol

Halifax settled

Halifax (again) settled

Nationwide settled

Natwest settled

Don't forget to donate to this site, they gave us the backbone to put up a fight, we've learnt how to reclaim our rights and proved banks are all nothing but........ rubbish <wink>

That's the problem with prepayment meters. EDF say you owe them money and now you physically have to pay them back through the darn meter because otherwise you are without power. You have a right battle on your hands to get EDF to take the "debt" off the meter if it is indeed incorrect. And it does sound extremely suspicious that EDF claim you were using far more electric when paying by Direct Debit compared to now on the prepayment meter. It just doesnt add up. Basically by having the prepayment meter you lose control of the situation.

EDF should have to prove that the debt exists before setting it to be paid back through the meter. Not sure what you can do other than appeal to their consciences! Maybe you could go to the industry regulator if EDF are less than forthcoming?

Yes if the statement doesnt make it clear, I am going to request a sar I think.

The way it seems to me is, basically they have lost money this year so they are whipping round customers trying to make a bit more money out of them to cover their losses. If I don't get this sorted properly, whats to stop them doing it again and again?! I may even attempt to change suppliers, meanwhile!

Halifax settled

Halifax (again) settled

Nationwide settled

Natwest settled

...I may even attempt to change suppliers, meanwhile!

It's been quite a while since I was last on a gas/electric meter tbh, but I'm sure that U aren't able to switch Energy Suppliers if U owe money to your current one? :(

...I hope I'm wrong about that though? :confused:

Some links that you may find useful + informative dollies01...

BBC NEWS | Business | EDF fined £2m for 'poor' service

BBC NEWS | Business | EDF Energy cuts electricity bills

BBC NEWS | Business | Battling bills - what help is there?

Energy Efficiency grants : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits

Warm Front Scheme in England : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits

Consumer

Consumer Direct - Energy

No you are right you arent,..........but then I dont owe money ! lol

Halifax settled

Halifax (again) settled

Nationwide settled

Natwest settled

EDF......k**bs, had a prepayment for the leccie with southern until a couple of years back. Switched to EDF, continually rang them for a new key, in the absence of any other means of turning the lights on i continued to use the old southern key. 6 months later, new EDF key arrives plus a bill for £500.00........ now this may seem obvious to some that a prepayment meter is by definition prepaid but for some reason only known to EDF it took a mountain of calls and several sh***y letters to get the account balance zero'd off their system.

They couldnt understand why southern were still collecting money on the key whilst they were meant to be the supplier.

Of course they're always right with account balances, would be absurd to question them :rolleyes:

Gez

• 4 weeks later...

Here's some recent NEW developments that may be of interest to U dollies01...

BBC NEWS | Business | Timetable set for 'fairer' bills

...The link contains info on the way Ofgem expects energy supliers to bill peeps by the end of 12/09 + allowing end-users to be able to switch energy suppliers despite possibly having an 'alleged' debt of up to £200 to their current energy supplier by 01/10.