• Tweets

• You have a minimum of 10 minutes' grace period to find a parking space, read the signs, walk to the stores, later walk back, etc.  There is no maximum.  I think in COVID times when you had to wash your hands thoroughly after consuming food and there was a queue to do so 😉 13 minutes is not excessive and the fleecers' claim can be easily batted off.
    • I offered to read the meter for them based on prepayment of £2400 but they didn't respond.   I also offered to wave the fee for doing so if they send me reasonably estimated bills.
    • Agree completely.  What is disturbing is that VCS actually went for an appeal, the motorists were too lazy to turn up so Simon now has an appeal level verdict in his favour.
    • There were a number of matters that concern me in Judge Saffman's verdict. The first is  that you cannot form a contract with a forbidding  rule. This was not the case in PE v Beavis as it was within the bounds of a carpark where motorists were allowed to park their cars.  Also if a motorist who does stop when apparently they shouldn't is therefore a trespasser and as such VCS cannot sue for trespass only the landowner can do that. Secondly and the Judges in the Beavis case alluded to the fact that while the amount charged -£85- was not a penalty, that had he offence been one of secondary importance then the charge would have been a penalty.To pull off the road for 30 seconds would in most people's view be of secondary importance and therefore a penalty. It is interesting to note that the new Appeals charter for motorists will include mitigating reasons and a tiered system to differentiate between major and minor offences.  On top of that what does a driver do if a pedestrian walks out on to the road. At the moment it looks as if the driver has to run them over since to stop would bring on a fine. That would be ridiculous. And what about a tyre burst or a collision between two vehicles? The Law for the latter  is that you have to stop and exchange details. And there are several other reasons why a motorist may have to stop and none of them would be mitigating. And for every case where a "no stopping" rule has been upheld by a Judge, there have been about  five where the decision has gone the other way.   The Judge paid too much attention to the Beavis case and took its arguments into consideration to justify his reasons when the Beavis case had little similarity to the no stopping case which was confirmed by the District Judge who staed that the two cases "were substantially different on the facts".  
    • Ok I sent off my letter to Gladstone and MB, now the waiting game. I showed MSE and National Consumer Service my letter before claim response and the majority people were not impressed with my letter.   But after reading this quote on CAG, it feels like the next best approach regardless: ''No, it is not a joke reply. The more you show these con artists respect the more they will try to fleece you. Don't fill in their Section D. Treat them with contempt. They're not the police or the council, they have no right to this money and they know it.''   I still feel I've made the right decision but I feel doubtful at times with the wide amount of different opinions people have approaching this situation on the MSE and National Consumer Service forums.   (When I put in p.e.p.i.p.o.o it auto corrects to National Consumer Service)  
  • Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Sky not responding to my letters

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4017 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Lots of problems with Sky prior to my house move on 1st September, won't bore you with these, but am now looking to cancel within my 12 month contract (in contract until May) due to the following (edited!) timeline:

Timeline of problems:

• 1st September 17:00: rang to report change of address (many attempts of holding for 50 mins and being cut off before i got through). Was told that phone line was the first service that should be updated; was advised that phone line at old address had been barred and phone line transfer to new address to go live on September 15th. I advised I would ring back to arrange TV installation at new address and was told that was fine and that the new address linked to the TV service would be updated.
  • 7th September: rang to arrange TV installation only to be told it couldn’t be arranged because the phone line had not been ‘ceased’ at my old address and would not therefore go live on 15th September at my new address. I would have to speak again to the Home Move team. Could not get through on phone so sent letter of complaint by recorded delivery.
  • 11th September: standard letter received from Sky dated 7th September congratulating my on my house move and contradicting the call of 7th September by advising that my phone line would go live on 15th September.
  • 15th September: no response as yet to letter. Tried phone line which indeed had gone live. Rang therefore for explanation of cock up (none forthcoming) and to arrange TV installation and broadband. Broadband could not be arranged because my status was 'cancel failure'. This was apparently nothing to worry about and someone would call me within 72 hours to arrange broadband. No phone call received as of today (25th).
  • TV installation arranged for 17th September at new address.
  • 17th September. Engineer did not arrive as promised between 0800 and 1300.
    • 13.05: rang to ascertain whereabouts of engineer. Held on phone for 50 minutes and then got cut off.
    • 17:30: rang to ask about about my right to cancel as still in 12 month contract and spoke to Sheila in Cancellations who advised me to write in. Transferred to Debbie in Customer Services to find out why engineer did not turn up. Told the address on the system was still my old one (what?!) so the engineer had probably gone there (why did the engineer not ring the contact number I had been asked to provide?).
    • 18:32: call received from Sky Installations (from number 08000512592) to ask why I had not been in when the engineer called to do my installation!!!

[*]New letter of complaint sent by special delivery on 18th September asking for response within 5 working days as per charter on website (bearing in mind my previous letter of 7th September has still not been acknowledged).

No response still. Apparently I cannot escalate my case with Ombudsman until 8 weeks have lapsed! I cannot wait 8 weeks for this to be resolved. What else can I do to get my complaint acknowledged? I just want to end my contract because of all the hassle and errors (there have been many unsatisfactory phone calls throughout the last 25 days which is why I started writing letters instead; email attempts have proved fruitless because they say my letter will be being dealt with but it depends how busy they are; if they are busy the 5 day rule will not apply). Why can I not speak to them by phone and just sort this out? And my direct debit is still being taken. Any advice appreciated as I am at the end of my tether with it all.

Edited by mollers

have you checked tracking with royal mail t see if it has been recevied?

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Sounds so similar to mine, only with mine the muppet at the other end did not do telephone first. I did get a response from customer relations on Tuesday, they said they where going to speak to the department and would ring me back that afternoon, that was four days ago.

It is so frustrating, everyone I have spoken to in sky admits it was Sky's fault and they all say that I need to speak to customer relations, these same people who never actually do anything.

Hi Ida - Yes the letters were delivered within the special delivery timeframe. I have received and responded to your PM and will try what you suggest. Thanks for your help. Wendy

no probs let us know

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Well after emailing Jeremy Darroch (CEO), I received a response the same day. They have agreed to refund the telephone connection charge of £105, and are giving us 12 months free line rental.

glad you got it sorted ;)

ida x

Am getting somewhere slowly.....after emailing Jeremy Darroch, the next day (today) I received a message on my ansaphone from customer relations telling me my account had already been cancelled (hooray!). However my phone line is still connected and customer services can't tell me when the cancellation is with effect from (rolls eyes). Apparently my viewing card has been disabled but I didn't have TV installed anyway so that doesn' really help, lol!

So am trying to get Customer Relations to ring me back again (via Jeremy Darroch again!) to let me know the score. This, to me, is some sort of progress even if it doesn't sound like it! Would also like to know why my letters weren't responded to but hey-ho, you can't have everything!

Thanks to Idainfife for advice.X

• 2 weeks later...
Lots of problems with Sky prior to my house move on 1st September, won't bore you with these, but am now looking to cancel within my 12 month contract (in contract until May) due to the following (edited!) timeline:

Timeline of problems:

• 1st September 17:00: rang to report change of address (many attempts of holding for 50 mins and being cut off before i got through). Was told that phone line was the first service that should be updated; was advised that phone line at old address had been barred and phone line transfer to new address to go live on September 15th. I advised I would ring back to arrange TV installation at new address and was told that was fine and that the new address linked to the TV service would be updated.
  • 7th September: rang to arrange TV installation only to be told it couldn’t be arranged because the phone line had not been ‘ceased’ at my old address and would not therefore go live on 15th September at my new address. I would have to speak again to the Home Move team. Could not get through on phone so sent letter of complaint by recorded delivery.
  • 11th September: standard letter received from Sky dated 7th September congratulating my on my house move and contradicting the call of 7th September by advising that my phone line would go live on 15th September.
  • 15th September: no response as yet to letter. Tried phone line which indeed had gone live. Rang therefore for explanation of cock up (none forthcoming) and to arrange TV installation and broadband. Broadband could not be arranged because my status was 'cancel failure'. This was apparently nothing to worry about and someone would call me within 72 hours to arrange broadband. No phone call received as of today (25th).
  • TV installation arranged for 17th September at new address.
  • 17th September. Engineer did not arrive as promised between 0800 and 1300.
    • 13.05: rang to ascertain whereabouts of engineer. Held on phone for 50 minutes and then got cut off.
    • 17:30: rang to ask about about my right to cancel as still in 12 month contract and spoke to Sheila in Cancellations who advised me to write in. Transferred to Debbie in Customer Services to find out why engineer did not turn up. Told the address on the system was still my old one (what?!) so the engineer had probably gone there (why did the engineer not ring the contact number I had been asked to provide?).
    • 18:32: call received from Sky Installations (from number 08000512592) to ask why I had not been in when the engineer called to do my installation!!!

[*]New letter of complaint sent by special delivery on 18th September asking for response within 5 working days as per charter on website (bearing in mind my previous letter of 7th September has still not been acknowledged).

No response still. Apparently I cannot escalate my case with Ombudsman until 8 weeks have lapsed! I cannot wait 8 weeks for this to be resolved. What else can I do to get my complaint acknowledged? I just want to end my contract because of all the hassle and errors (there have been many unsatisfactory phone calls throughout the last 25 days which is why I started writing letters instead; email attempts have proved fruitless because they say my letter will be being dealt with but it depends how busy they are; if they are busy the 5 day rule will not apply). Why can I not speak to them by phone and just sort this out? And my direct debit is still being taken. Any advice appreciated as I am at the end of my tether with it all.

Which Ombudsman are you referring to ? My reason for asking is due to the very same problems that you have experienced, i.e. ignoring letters, my latest letter sent 2 weeks ago using royal mail recorded delivery still remains unanswered, despite the fact that I escalated my complaint to the Managing Director.

Hi there - I was referring to CISAS and OTELO. Have you tried emailing Jeremy Darroch as I did? My complaint is now being handled (not very well I might add but someone out there is dealing with it and I have even managed to get their surname out of them!) but I have still not been given any real reason as to why my letters have been ignored. The mail strike was mentioned but I was able to prove that my letters had been signed for weeks before this started.

It seems emails to Mr Darroch are the only way to get complaints acknowledged however wrong that seems to me. You shouldn't have to take a standard complaint to this level to get a response!

Hi there - I was referring to CISAS and OTELO. Have you tried emailing Jeremy Darroch as I did? My complaint is now being handled (not very well I might add but someone out there is dealing with it and I have even managed to get their surname out of them!) but I have still not been given any real reason as to why my letters have been ignored. The mail strike was mentioned but I was able to prove that my letters had been signed for weeks before this started.

It seems emails to Mr Darroch are the only way to get complaints acknowledged however wrong that seems to me. You shouldn't have to take a standard complaint to this level to get a response!

Many thanks for that, would be grateful if you could let me have Jeremy Darrochs e-mail address.