• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Sky not responding to my letters

mollers
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5271 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Lots of problems with Sky prior to my house move on 1st September, won't bore you with these, but am now looking to cancel within my 12 month contract (in contract until May) due to the following (edited!) timeline:

Timeline of problems:

• 1st September 17:00: rang to report change of address (many attempts of holding for 50 mins and being cut off before i got through). Was told that phone line was the first service that should be updated; was advised that phone line at old address had been barred and phone line transfer to new address to go live on September 15th. I advised I would ring back to arrange TV installation at new address and was told that was fine and that the new address linked to the TV service would be updated.
  • 7th September: rang to arrange TV installation only to be told it couldn’t be arranged because the phone line had not been ‘ceased’ at my old address and would not therefore go live on 15th September at my new address. I would have to speak again to the Home Move team. Could not get through on phone so sent letter of complaint by recorded delivery.
  • 11th September: standard letter received from Sky dated 7th September congratulating my on my house move and contradicting the call of 7th September by advising that my phone line would go live on 15th September.
  • 15th September: no response as yet to letter. Tried phone line which indeed had gone live. Rang therefore for explanation of cock up (none forthcoming) and to arrange TV installation and broadband. Broadband could not be arranged because my status was 'cancel failure'. This was apparently nothing to worry about and someone would call me within 72 hours to arrange broadband. No phone call received as of today (25th).
  • TV installation arranged for 17th September at new address.
  • 17th September. Engineer did not arrive as promised between 0800 and 1300.
    • 13.05: rang to ascertain whereabouts of engineer. Held on phone for 50 minutes and then got cut off.
    • 17:30: rang to ask about about my right to cancel as still in 12 month contract and spoke to Sheila in Cancellations who advised me to write in. Transferred to Debbie in Customer Services to find out why engineer did not turn up. Told the address on the system was still my old one (what?!) so the engineer had probably gone there (why did the engineer not ring the contact number I had been asked to provide?).
    • 18:32: call received from Sky Installations (from number 08000512592) to ask why I had not been in when the engineer called to do my installation!!!

[*]New letter of complaint sent by special delivery on 18th September asking for response within 5 working days as per charter on website (bearing in mind my previous letter of 7th September has still not been acknowledged).

No response still. Apparently I cannot escalate my case with Ombudsman until 8 weeks have lapsed! I cannot wait 8 weeks for this to be resolved. What else can I do to get my complaint acknowledged? I just want to end my contract because of all the hassle and errors (there have been many unsatisfactory phone calls throughout the last 25 days which is why I started writing letters instead; email attempts have proved fruitless because they say my letter will be being dealt with but it depends how busy they are; if they are busy the 5 day rule will not apply). Why can I not speak to them by phone and just sort this out? And my direct debit is still being taken. Any advice appreciated as I am at the end of my tether with it all.

Edited by mollers

have you checked tracking with royal mail t see if it has been recevied?

ida x

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Sounds so similar to mine, only with mine the muppet at the other end did not do telephone first. I did get a response from customer relations on Tuesday, they said they where going to speak to the department and would ring me back that afternoon, that was four days ago.

It is so frustrating, everyone I have spoken to in sky admits it was Sky's fault and they all say that I need to speak to customer relations, these same people who never actually do anything.

Am getting somewhere slowly.....after emailing Jeremy Darroch, the next day (today) I received a message on my ansaphone from customer relations telling me my account had already been cancelled (hooray!). However my phone line is still connected and customer services can't tell me when the cancellation is with effect from (rolls eyes). Apparently my viewing card has been disabled but I didn't have TV installed anyway so that doesn' really help, lol!

So am trying to get Customer Relations to ring me back again (via Jeremy Darroch again!) to let me know the score. This, to me, is some sort of progress even if it doesn't sound like it! Would also like to know why my letters weren't responded to but hey-ho, you can't have everything!

Thanks to Idainfife for advice.X

• 2 weeks later...
Lots of problems with Sky prior to my house move on 1st September, won't bore you with these, but am now looking to cancel within my 12 month contract (in contract until May) due to the following (edited!) timeline:

Timeline of problems:

• 1st September 17:00: rang to report change of address (many attempts of holding for 50 mins and being cut off before i got through). Was told that phone line was the first service that should be updated; was advised that phone line at old address had been barred and phone line transfer to new address to go live on September 15th. I advised I would ring back to arrange TV installation at new address and was told that was fine and that the new address linked to the TV service would be updated.
  • 7th September: rang to arrange TV installation only to be told it couldn’t be arranged because the phone line had not been ‘ceased’ at my old address and would not therefore go live on 15th September at my new address. I would have to speak again to the Home Move team. Could not get through on phone so sent letter of complaint by recorded delivery.
  • 11th September: standard letter received from Sky dated 7th September congratulating my on my house move and contradicting the call of 7th September by advising that my phone line would go live on 15th September.
  • 15th September: no response as yet to letter. Tried phone line which indeed had gone live. Rang therefore for explanation of cock up (none forthcoming) and to arrange TV installation and broadband. Broadband could not be arranged because my status was 'cancel failure'. This was apparently nothing to worry about and someone would call me within 72 hours to arrange broadband. No phone call received as of today (25th).
  • TV installation arranged for 17th September at new address.
  • 17th September. Engineer did not arrive as promised between 0800 and 1300.
    • 13.05: rang to ascertain whereabouts of engineer. Held on phone for 50 minutes and then got cut off.
    • 17:30: rang to ask about about my right to cancel as still in 12 month contract and spoke to Sheila in Cancellations who advised me to write in. Transferred to Debbie in Customer Services to find out why engineer did not turn up. Told the address on the system was still my old one (what?!) so the engineer had probably gone there (why did the engineer not ring the contact number I had been asked to provide?).
    • 18:32: call received from Sky Installations (from number 08000512592) to ask why I had not been in when the engineer called to do my installation!!!

[*]New letter of complaint sent by special delivery on 18th September asking for response within 5 working days as per charter on website (bearing in mind my previous letter of 7th September has still not been acknowledged).

No response still. Apparently I cannot escalate my case with Ombudsman until 8 weeks have lapsed! I cannot wait 8 weeks for this to be resolved. What else can I do to get my complaint acknowledged? I just want to end my contract because of all the hassle and errors (there have been many unsatisfactory phone calls throughout the last 25 days which is why I started writing letters instead; email attempts have proved fruitless because they say my letter will be being dealt with but it depends how busy they are; if they are busy the 5 day rule will not apply). Why can I not speak to them by phone and just sort this out? And my direct debit is still being taken. Any advice appreciated as I am at the end of my tether with it all.

Which Ombudsman are you referring to ? My reason for asking is due to the very same problems that you have experienced, i.e. ignoring letters, my latest letter sent 2 weeks ago using royal mail recorded delivery still remains unanswered, despite the fact that I escalated my complaint to the Managing Director.

Hi there - I was referring to CISAS and OTELO. Have you tried emailing Jeremy Darroch as I did? My complaint is now being handled (not very well I might add but someone out there is dealing with it and I have even managed to get their surname out of them!) but I have still not been given any real reason as to why my letters have been ignored. The mail strike was mentioned but I was able to prove that my letters had been signed for weeks before this started.

It seems emails to Mr Darroch are the only way to get complaints acknowledged however wrong that seems to me. You shouldn't have to take a standard complaint to this level to get a response!

Hi there - I was referring to CISAS and OTELO. Have you tried emailing Jeremy Darroch as I did? My complaint is now being handled (not very well I might add but someone out there is dealing with it and I have even managed to get their surname out of them!) but I have still not been given any real reason as to why my letters have been ignored. The mail strike was mentioned but I was able to prove that my letters had been signed for weeks before this started.

It seems emails to Mr Darroch are the only way to get complaints acknowledged however wrong that seems to me. You shouldn't have to take a standard complaint to this level to get a response!

Many thanks for that, would be grateful if you could let me have Jeremy Darrochs e-mail address.