NEW MOBILE SCAM - you may be entitled to 3750

papadak
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4553 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

These [problem] companies aint bothered if your on the tps or not they spam you anyway.

I have just been sent the same message and have contacted both orange (my service provider) and vodafone ( who the sms came from) and both are aware and when you reply they bombard you with sms messages costing £1.50 each! apparently they use pay as you go simcards and dont register them once they have sent alot of sms they simply throw the simcard away.

the number which mine came from is: 07776233113 and the message reads:

FREEMSG: Our records indicate you may be entitled to 3750 pounds for the recent accident (what recident accident?) To claim for free reply with AID to this msg. to opt out text STOP.

NOTE: texting STOP will not work as all this does is confirm to the spammers/[problematic] that your number is active!

if you recive a message like this i wouldnt recommend textong stop to the number for this reason.

• 4 weeks later...

I got this same [problem] as well today. Thank you for the advice not to text stop.

Here is the number that it came from. I will quote it in a few different formats, so that anyone searching the web for it later will find it.

+447517576170 / 07517576170 / 07517 576170 / 0751 7576170

Incidentally, my mobile is already on the TPS, but they say they don't have any power re text messages. They gave the number of the Information Commissioner's Office, 01625 545745, but I rang the ICO and they say they can't deal with scams only marketing (which it isn't, at least not in the usual sense). They say that the Office of Fair Trading, 08457 224499, can deal with scams, but I haven't rung them yet - though I will do if I get any more of these texts.

The ICO may be well-meaning, but they are fully aware that the OFT do NOT deal with individual consumer complaints, so speaking to them is a total waste of time. As you point out, ignoring it in the hope that will be the last contact is sound, especially if they are simply binging out the same message in the hope of getting a few responses that make it worthwhile.

However, if you are intrigued, there is another web resource.

http://www.grumbletext.co.uk/page.php?pn=gtpressrelease19thjun03

Is an excellent repository of all things UK text spam. Recipients report the actual message and any relevant numbers in a live updated list, which can be searched to find your texter. Tools are also there to find out who owns the underlying number, and advice on how to report it to your mobile network - as each company will have a department able to act on persistent offenders, even if it isn't that mobile network.

Worth a look, at any rate.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I received this spam txt today - its weird because I have had this number for years and have never had any unwanted marketing txts/calls...

I am on o2...

Anyway I thought I should put the number I received the spam from like ami10 did so people can find it on the internet:

+447402357741 / 07402357741 / 07402 357741 / 0740 2357741

I received this spam txt today - its weird because I have had this number for years and have never had any unwanted marketing txts/calls...

Me too, old phone, old number, never had any marketing on it before today and just received this, glad my gut feeling was correct when I hesitated to text back 'stop'. Deleted.

• 2 months later...
Nokia 6233i (old but hanging onto it as it is ultra reliable for me)

1. TPS only affects voice calls, not texts.

2. It is not illegal (!darn well should be!) to send unsolicited texts from a mobile number (unless we get involved making case law in stalking etc..).

3 (SOME good news) - you can't be charged for a text from a UK mobile

4. Some bad news - you can be charged if roaming (abroad).

5. Some good news? Phoned Orange ( my TSP) and they claimed to be able to stop them on the basis that they can block all texts sent to multiple recipients. We'll see.

I have run a case of this kind by ICO and OFCOM, both of which have assured me of the above information, except point 5.

2. It is not illegal (!darn well should be!) to send unsolicited texts from a mobile number (unless we get involved making case law in stalking etc..).

I have run a case of this kind by ICO and OFCOM, both of which have assured me of the above information

How unhelpfully confusing for a first post. What is being described on this thread is mass marketing using bulk sms. It is not referring to thousands of personal sms messengers being sent from thousands of individual mobiles. Of course the mass marketing spammers (and possibly the ICO) would like us to believe that.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/faq/#seven

7. Will registering my mobile number on the TPS reduce the receipt of text (SMS) messages?

No. New legislation, which came into force on 11 December 2003, makes it unlawful to send an unsolicited direct marketing SMS to an individual subscriber unless the recipient has previously given their consent to such communications.

Text messages are defined as "electronic mail" under the Regulations and, as such, they should not be sent without the prior consent of the individual subscribers. Companies are therefore, not obliged to screen against TPS because they should already have established prior consent.

If you are receiving SMS marketing and have not given prior permission, you can complain directly to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), whose details are under the 'Useful links' section on the left hand menu or for more details see the Guidance Notes which the Information Commissioner's Office have produced Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.

I get the clear impression that the Direct Marketing Association or somebody appear to believe that by allocating a different 07 number to each message sent they have discovered yet another innovative loophole to exploit!

Edited by goodwill

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I've come in here through Google while searching for the text content. I did search for the number I received the message from (07591 299555) and this must be a new number they're using as nothing found.

I just spoke to a nice lady at the ICO and she told me they're aware and are currently investigating and to file a complaint.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints/privacy_and_electronic_communications.aspx

If you received this as a text message you need this file:

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/library/privacy_and_electronic/forms/pecr_complaints_form.doc

Download, fill it in and email back to: [email protected]

I know it does say on the website to try and contact the offending party first but I told the woman on the phone, I'm aware there are premium rate numbers starting 07 and I didn't want to risk getting sucked into one of those scams by replying to it or calling it and she said that's fine.

I'm VERY tempted to reply CLAIM and see who answers it and give them some trouble down the phone.

I did quote the text goodwill posted from the tpsonline and regardless that it says "No" to the question companies are not allowed to send you marketing messages unless you've first consented to receiving them - they are flouting the law.

• Haha 1

I did actually reply "CLAIM" and I just had the woman on the phone hang up on me but not after I found out who they are.

They are a company called "Compensation Claims" and their website is dot co dot uk. I'm not typing the URL in full as not to provide a link back to them.

I've also just forwarded this onto the ICO.

I'll save you the trouble (I've added spaces to the domain name to stop it turning into a link - don't want any backlinks)

Domain name:
c o m p e n s a t i o n c l a i m s . c o . u k

Registrant:
  Paragon Ltd

Registrant type:
  UK Limited Company, (Company number: 5241653)

Registrant's address:
  PO Box 163
  Clitheroe
  Lancashire
  BB7 0DA
  United Kingdom

Registrar:
  Paragon Ltd [Tag = BLUEROCK]
  URL: http://www.bluerockdesign.com

Relevant dates:
  Registered on: 03-Dec-1998
  Renewal date:  03-Dec-2012
  Last updated:  08-Mar-2011

Registration status:
  Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:
  ns.rackspace.com
  ns2.rackspace.com

I have emailed them complaining asking to be removed from their mailing/SMS list and I was expecting an email back apologising asking for my number so they can remove it. Instead they said they don't market this way. Sent an email back asking her to explain how the woman on the phone was ready to take all my details after she confirmed that she was responding to my reply to their SMS.

Just waiting for their response.

Edited by Yesideez

• 4 weeks later...

There is a very effective way to deal with these spam txt messages.

Reply Claim. Wait for the call, and make up some accident. Rear ended in a car perhaps with whiplash. When you get a call from the solicitors (NOT the middle men), they can no longer hang up / hide.

Then invite them to explain why you have been contacted when you have not been involved in an accident. Solicitors doing business with unregulated CMC's (claims management companies) can get into serious trouble. They may not even know of the tactics being used to generate the leads the get. Insist on chapter and verse. Where, exactly, did they get your number. MOJ regulate CMC's and need to hear about this.

Dan

• 5 months later...

Same problem. Received the following spam text on 7/11/11 10:29am.

"URGENT! Our records indicate that you may be entitled to £2750 for the accident you had. To apply for free reply YES to this message. To opt out text STOP."

From mobile number 07873563019 that is +447873563019

" FREEMAG: Our records indicate you may be entitled to 3750 pounds for the Accident you had. To claim for free reply with YES to this msg. To opt out text STOP "

Hi guys!

Your help & advice please ...

I keep getting this message on my mobile from this number: +447759854814 ... virtually daily now:

Quote:

" FREEMAG: Our records indicate you may be entitled to 3750 pounds for the Accident you had. To claim for free reply with YES to this msg. To opt out text STOP "

Unquote

This is on my O2 network. I did speak to O2 and they say there is nothing that can be done. I find this incredible!, not even to produce a program on their network to block these numbers. :-x