Scottish Summons But Live In England

Guest dvdriley
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5319 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest dvdriley

I have received a summons from the Sheriifs office in Glasgow for an unpaid bill to a scottish company but i live in england. Is this valid

I have received a summons from the Sheriifs office in Glasgow for an unpaid bill to a scottish company but i live in england. Is this valid

I think it would depend on where the agreement was regulated. If it was a Scottish company supplying in Scotlend, then that is OK, but if you lived in england at the time, I would think that English law prevails. Not 100% sure though.

It is not valid unless you have been resident in Scotland for at least three months PRIOR to the writ being issued, a Scottish Sheriff court will not have jurisdiction unless this is the case. They have served in the wrong jurisdiction this comes under the Civil Jurisdiction & Judgement Act 1982 which I have pasted in below:-

CIVIL JURISDICTION & JUDGMENTS ACT 1982

SCHEDULE 8

Jurisdiction over consumer contracts

3. - (1) In matters relating to a contract concluded by a person, the consumer, for a purpose which can be regarded as being outside his trade or profession, subject to rule 5, jurisdiction shall be determined by this rule if -

(a) it is a contract for the sale of goods on instalment credit terms; or

(b) it is a contract for a loan repayable by instalments, or for any other form of credit, made to finance the sale of goods; or

© in all other cases, the contract has been concluded with a person who pursues commercial or professional activities in Scotland or, by any means, directs such activities to Scotland or to several places including Scotland, and the contract falls within the scope of such activities.

(2) This rule shall not apply to a contract of transport other than a contract which, for an inclusive price, provides for a combination of travel and accommodation.

(3) A consumer may bring proceedings against the other party to a contract only in -

(a) the courts for the place in which that party is domiciled;

(b) the courts for the place in which he is himself domiciled; or

© any court having jurisdiction by virtue of rule 2(f) or (i).

(4) Proceedings may be brought against a consumer by the other party to the contract only in the courts for the place where the consumer is domiciled or any court having jurisdiction under rule 2(i).

(5) The provisions of this rule shall not affect the right to bring a counterclaim in the court in which, in accordance with this rule, the original claim is pending.

(6) The provisions of this rule may be departed from only by an agreement -

(a) which is entered into after the dispute has arisen; or

(b) which allows the consumer to bring proceedings in courts other than those indicated in this rule; or

© which is entered into by the consumer and the other party to the contract, both of whom are at the time of conclusion of the contract domiciled or habitually resident in the same Regulation State, and which confers jurisdiction on the courts of that Regulation State, provided that such an agreement is not contrary to the law of that Regulation State.

Exclusive jurisdiction

5. - (1) Notwithstanding anything contained in any of rules 1 to 4 above or 6 to 9 below but subject to paragraph (3) below, the following courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction: -

(a) in proceedings which have as their object rights in rem in, or tenancies of, immovable property, the courts for the place where the property is situated;

(b) in proceedings which have as their object the validity of the constitution, the nullity or the dissolution of companies or other legal persons or associations of natural or legal persons, the courts for the place where the company, legal person or association has its seat;

© in proceedings which have as their object the validity of entries in public registers, the courts for the place where the register is kept;

(d) in proceedings concerned with the enforcement of judgments, the courts for the place where the judgment has been or is to be enforced.

(2) No court shall exercise jurisdiction in a case where immovable property, the seat of a body mentioned in paragraph (1)(b) above, a public register or the place where a judgment has been or is to be enforced is situated outside Scotland and where paragraph (1) would apply if the property, seat, register or, as the case may be, place of enforcement were situated in Scotland.

(3) In proceedings which have as their object tenancies of immovable property concluded for temporary private use for a maximum period of six consecutive months, the courts for the place in which the defender is domiciled shall also have jurisdiction, provided that the tenant is a natural person and that the landlord and tenant are domiciled in Scotland.

Prorogation of jurisdiction

6. - (1) If the parties have agreed that a court is to have jurisdiction to settle any disputes which have arisen or which may arise in connection with a particular legal relationship, that court shall have jurisdiction.

(2) Such an agreement conferring jurisdiction shall be either -

(a) in writing or evidenced in writing; or

(b) in a form which accords with practices which the parties have established between themselves; or

© in international trade or commerce, in a form which accords with a usage of which the parties are or ought to have been aware and which in such trade or commerce is widely known to, and regularly observed by, parties to contracts of the type involved in the particular trade or commerce concerned.

(3) Any communication by electronic means which provides a durable record of the agreement shall be equivalent to "writing".

(4) The court on which a trust instrument has conferred jurisdiction shall have exclusive jurisdiction in any proceedings brought against a settlor, trustee or beneficiary, if relations between these persons or their rights or obligations under the trust are involved.

(5) Where an agreement or a trust instrument confers jurisdiction on the courts of the United Kingdom or of Scotland, proceedings to which paragraph (1) or, as the case may be, (4) above applies may be brought in any court in Scotland.

(6) Agreements or provisions of a trust instrument conferring jurisdiction shall have no legal force if the courts whose jurisdiction they purport to exclude have exclusive jurisdiction by virtue of rule 5 or where rule 5(2) applies.

Guest dvdriley

sorry what i didnt say was the debt is for my uk ltd company for scottish debt from socttish solicxitor. i live in uk and so is the company,

still the same answer monty?

sorry what i didnt say was the debt is for my uk ltd company for scottish debt from socttish solicxitor. i live in uk and so is the company,

still the same answer monty?

I thought it was a personal credit card debt. Not sure if its a company, you should check with your local court or Citizens Advice.