Commercial tenancy expired & in arrears

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4284 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

At the moment I lived on a rented farm. This consists of one large farmhouse split into two there is also a livery yard on the land. The tenancy is leased from one owner. The three properties are under three different arrangements/tenancies.

I am the tenant in the farmhouse. I have just found out that my neighbour who has the tenancy for the cottage and a commercial tenancy for the livery yard, has been given notice to pay a large amount of arrears (£6500) on her rent. If she does not pay they will be sending the bailiffs. Her commercial lease for the livery yard expired on the 1st of September 2009, thus the notice to quit and the owner not wanting this person on his land has now come to light.

I currently keep two horses on this persons livery yard, which I pay for weekly. I would like to know if she is legally allowed to continue to charge us rent for stabling when she no longer has a lease? She states she has no intention of quitting the property

I currently keep two horses on this persons livery yard, which I pay for weekly. I would like to know if she is legally allowed to continue to charge us rent for stabling when she no longer has a lease? She states she has no intention of quitting the property

Why would you think that she should stable your horses and not charge you? I am sure that if you are worried about them, you could find alternative accommodation for them, but I hardly think you can expect her to provide this service for nothing!!

Apologies for my bluntness here, but I also think that if the affairs of your neighbour regarding her property leases do not directly affect you detrimentally, then they are not really your business.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

Personally, Her not paying her rent does affect me.

The farm was purchased as one lot, and it is mortgaged. The owner then split the place into three separate units to rent out. I have the farmhouse, the other lady has the cottage and the commercial yard and land.

As this lady now owes upwards of £6000, it will definately affect me if the owner cannot afford to meet the repayments on the mortgage. I could then be made homeless because of her. I'm sure if you were in my shoes you might feel a bit upset about giving money to someone who is not doing as she states "I need to collect rent from you in order to pay my own rent"

I see that as obtaining money by deception.

I probably could find somewhere else for my horses but not anywhere local. Why should I put them through the stress of moving, and myself through the stress of travelling at least ten miles per day to see to them?