Problems with Cottages 4 U

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5034 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all, first time poster.

Could someone advise me on my rights in this situation:

We booked a week in a cottage in Derbyshire a few weeks ago through Cottages4U. At the time we booked it, the advert for the cottage said it had its own private drive and the photo showed a small but perfectly adequate cottage. However, since then, the ad has changed to say that it is a shared drive and the photo has also changed to a more zoomed out one where it is revealed that the owner's property is right next to the cottage - just meters away. Both of these factors would have put us off renting the cottage in the first place.

Cottages4U say they won't cancel and refund because the cottage owners won't agree to it and they are currently claiming that the ad hasn't changed (it has, but they can't verify it with their web team yet).

What are my rights in this situation?

Thanks

Unfortunately, no - we don't have proof. Kind of relying on them admitting it today when they can speak to the web developers. The original photo was a close-up of the single-storey cottage, but the new photo is shot a bit further back and shows the owner's house is right next to it. We would never have booked it had it been like that in the first place as we both want privacy when we are away. And it definitely stated private drive originally but now says shared.

Also, most of the other ads on the site state Owner Lives on Site but the ad for the cottage we have hired doesn't. Is it unreasonable to expect that to mean that the owner does not live on site?

Here's the link:

[EDIT]

The place we are staying in is the small building at the front. When we booked it, the photo only showed the small building and didn't reveal the fact that the owner's property is so close. It is going to be like staying in their granny flat!

Good idea about the printed brochure. I will look into it.

Edited by Rooster-UK
Commercial link removed.

The link didn't work. :( Might be a wrap problem or something. Try again:

[EDIT]

It is on the cottages4u.co.uk website, Peak District region, and it is Crow Hill Lodge in Marsden. I think it is the second or third page in.

Edited by Rooster-UK
Commercial link removed.

Sorry - I could not get one that had the picture and was old enough to be the previoys picture.

The cottage also only seems to have been listed recently, which did not help.

I tried for about 30 mins - but the closest I got was....

[EDIT]

Its currently listed under being in the Halifax area - but the newest older version I could find did not include a Halifax option.

Edited by Rooster-UK
Commercial link removed.

Sorry - I could not get one that had the picture and was old enough to be the previoys picture.

The cottage also only seems to have been listed recently, which did not help.

I tried for about 30 mins - but the closest I got was....

[EDIT]

Its currently listed under being in the Halifax area - but the newest older version I could find did not include a Halifax option.

Sorry - it looks like you cannot post links to that cottages site...

Hi Czechoslovakia,

The post that you created in the following thread has been edited

-----

Post: Sorry - I could not get one that had the picture and was old...

Thread: Problems with Cottages 4 U

Reason: Commercial link removed.

-----

This is an automated message, please do not reply.

Regards,

The Forum Management

• 9 months later...

We've also had trouble with Cottages4U. They cancelled our booking two weeks before our holiday due to their own error and are not helping us find alternate accommodation. Utterly incompetent.