• Tweets

• Bank the cheque.  No doubt it will bounce - but you never know. When it bounces - that is when you are meant to access their website link and enter your personal details - but of course - DON'T.
    • Wayne Ting, chief executive of e-scooter firm Lime, says there's room for improvement. View the full article
    • If you are absolutely certain* that you were parked OK, write a letter of complaint to the Headteacher and copy in the Chair of the school governors.   If you or the car were identifiable in any way from the photo (eg visible registration number, driver's face etc) I would very politely write that you resent the untrue suggestion that you had parked/had stopped/were waiting in a way that contravened any traffic regulations, and that you are sure that the school will understand that you would like an apology and a correction to be printed in the next newsletter.  (You can also clearly state that you were identifiable from the photo because other parents have mentioned it to you).   See if that works.   You don't want to go to court for defamation as you'll need access to about £10k in fees before you get out of bed.  You just want an apology and a correction.  If what you've told us is accurate, I don't see any reasonable school failing to say sorry.     *My wife is a former school governor and my experience listening to her is that very very few parents actually understand the meaning of the no stopping/no waiting signs and road markings outside schools.  Don't complain unless you are sure you weren't stopped where you shouldn't have been.
    • And they haven't offered a speed awareness course either?  (Have you done one in the last three years or is this in Scotland?)   And is one of the notices for 34 in a 30?  As Man in the Middle says, that ought to be below the level at which they take action.   (And sorry - I don't want to appear preachy - but...  there don't have to be any warnings or signs or lines on the road to advise you of the presence of speed cameras.  If you get away with an exceptional hardship argument you will need to stick to speed limits in future - whether you know there are cameras there or not.  NB Don't know if this applies to you, but most 30 mph limits are restricted roads with a system of streetlighting and don't even need speed limit signs - you are assumed to know this from the Highway Code).
    • It's up to you if you want to pay £300 you don't owe plus whatever Unicorn Food Tax with no basis in law whatsoever that they will have made up in the Letter Before Claim.   We'd prefer you didn't.   But you have received a LBC so it's make your mind up time.   So please    - post up photos of the signage in the dark that you'll have taken two months ago (post 14)    - post up details of planning permission for their signs you'll have found out after you got onto the council, again two months ago (again post 14)    - also let us know if you agree with Brassnecked's excellent letter or if you'd like to tweak bits depending on what you've found out    - upload the LBC.  Some of them are appallingly drafted and invariably contain Unicorn Food Tax which is all useful extra ammo    - also, where are you living now (post 35) and are you comfortable with legal communications arriving at your parents'?   If you look in our PPC Successes thread at the top of the page, you will see 275 times these cheats have been seen off with their tails between their legs (and all had the same "well known legal companies" (ho! ho!) on hand).  In reality 275 times is a massive underestimate, in all 275 cases there was a "moment of victory" IYSWIM where the PPC were thrashed in court or discontinued a claim or were called off by a supermarket chain, etc., etc.  There will have been at least that number again where they were told to Foxtrot Oscar and then crawled back under their stone.  They are eminently beatable but logically when you're in legal dispute you have to put some graft in to beat the other party.
  • Our picks

Direct Line/RBS PPI - Demands and Needs

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4082 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I took out a loan through Direct Line (RBS) at the end of 2006. I still have all the original paperwork.

I applied online and did not tick the PPI box. Couple of days later someone from Direct Line phoned me and it was at this stage that PPI was sold to me. I then received the paperwork, signed it and sent it back.

I would like to claim back the PPI as it is obviously useless to me. I am about to send a SAR letter - do I send it to Direct Line or RBS? And what do I put on the Postal Order?

It seems like I have a multple agreement with the PPI added onto the loan. The payments are not set out separately so I have no idea what the monthly PPI amount is.

Amongst the paperwork they sent to me in 2006 was this:

------

STATEMENT OF DEMANDS AND NEEDS

We have not provided you with a personal recommendation as to whether our Loan Payment Protection policy is suitable for your specific needs. Please read your policy documents carefully to ensure you understand the eligibility criteria and the cover provided to you.

------

Does anyone know, that by sending this, they have got out of their obligation to make sure the policy was suitable for me when they sold it?

Not seen anything like this on any other thread, so wondering what my reply would be.

I wouldn't worry too much about that, just a way of trying to shift the blame ;)

The loan agreement should show your total amount of credit, it should also show the total amount of PPI including interest. I would send a full SAR to RBS, as long as it has the account number on it you should get your info.

:)

9-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent:o !! Lloyds and Halifax!

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Capital One

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Halifax Card Services

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Marbles

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Halifax (Birchave0's sis)

8-3-07 PPI refund Lloyds TSB Loan £1200 + £2900 off loan balance

22-5-07 Halifax *Won* £1025

23-9-07 Goldfish 8k balance written off, £2300 PPI + charges returned, no agreement

I took out a loan through Direct Line (RBS) at the end of 2006. I still have all the original paperwork.

I applied online and did not tick the PPI box. Couple of days later someone from Direct Line phoned me and it was at this stage that PPI was sold to me. I then received the paperwork, signed it and sent it back.

I would like to claim back the PPI as it is obviously useless to me. I am about to send a SAR letter - do I send it to Direct Line or RBS? And what do I put on the Postal Order?

It seems like I have a multple agreement with the PPI added onto the loan. The payments are not set out separately so I have no idea what the monthly PPI amount is.

Amongst the paperwork they sent to me in 2006 was this:

------

We have not provided you with a personal recommendation as to whether our Loan Payment Protection policy is suitable for your specific needs. Please read your policy documents carefully to ensure you understand the eligibility criteria and the cover provided to you.

------

Does anyone know, that by sending this, they have got out of their obligation to make sure the policy was suitable for me when they sold it?

Not seen anything like this on any other thread, so wondering what my reply would be.

My demands and needs differed over four loans with Direct Line and three with RBS. You should be aware that Direct Line Financial Services was legally transferred to RBS and the evidence is within my thread.

This was the problem I encountered and I believe if you read through my long thread fighting Direct Line and RBS you should find the way to approach your claim.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/payment-protection-insurance-ppi/111159-rbs-ppi-claim-long.html

You can use any templates or letters to your advantage, changing the detail to suit your own claim of course.

It worked for me claim was a success via the FOS £10k plus.

If you need more assistance just post.

aa

Edited by alanalana
text added

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Thanks for your input.

Do you think that by putting in the disclaimer with the original docs that they do not provide personal recommendations will go against me?

Can they get away with putting these disclaimers in or are they still responsible for making sure the ppi is suitable? Just not sure what my reply would be.

Thanks for your input.

Do you think that by putting in the disclaimer with the original docs that they do not provide personal recommendations will go against me?

Can they get away with putting these disclaimers in or are they still responsible for making sure the ppi is suitable? Just not sure what my reply would be.

You claim mis-sold PPI the onus is on them to prove it was not mis-sold. So they should provide the complete demands and needs questionnaire and it should show you initials against every question they asked you at the point of sale of the loan and PPI. It must also show all the relevant questions have been asked on Pre existing medical conditions, employment status, age and much more if the demands and needs questionnaire is incomplete, not initialled by the applicant on each question asked then it should be considered that the loan and ppi attached to this is mis-sold. The banks must ensure the product is fit for your needs it is not for you to prove it was not.

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

Bank charge successes:

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

You claim mis-sold PPI the onus is on them to prove it was not mis-sold. So they should provide the complete demands and needs questionnaire and it should show you initials against every question they asked you at the point of sale of the loan and PPI. It must also show all the relevant questions have been asked on Pre existing medical conditions, employment status, age and much more if the demands and needs questionnaire is incomplete, not initialled by the applicant on each question asked then it should be considered that the loan and ppi attached to this is mis-sold. The banks must ensure the product is fit for your needs it is not for you to prove it was not.

aa

Hi shizmoo:-)

We have Demands and Needs form for PPI attached to a loan and I was wondering whether the existence of such a form does indeed have a bearing on the mis-selling aspect.

Ours certainly doesn't have questions with boxes to tick etc etc as alanalana has mentioned. This was also done over the phone (although not with Direct Line/RBS in this case).

Our lender has intimated that the existence of a Demands and Needs form shows the PPI wasn't mis-sold (amongst their many other reasons!), but this was a 'non-advised' sale and I'm wondering whether that makes a difference to the way the form is structured or indeed whether a 'non-advised' sale negates the need for such a form?

We also have an old settled loan with Direct Line which we have just put in a mis-sold PPI claim for. This is currently being investigated by RBS/DL and I will be interested to see what response they come up with at the end of their 8 weeks - will follow your progress with interest......good luck!

Regards,

Landy x

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

I don't have a Demands and Needs form. Just a sheet of paper, sent to me at the time of the loan, stating that they have not provided a personal recommendation as to whether PPI is suitable for me. In other words, this has been a 'non-advised' sale. Just wondering whether they can use that as a defence. It seems, from what you say Landy, that they will use this to try and get out of paying. So I guess, what I'm thinking is, can they get away with it by stating it was a 'non-advised' sale?

Landy, did you send your SAR to RBS or DL? Just wanted to get it right first time to stop them making excuses. Good luck to you too. I will also follow your progress with interest.

I don't have a Demands and Needs form. Just a sheet of paper, sent to me at the time of the loan, stating that they have not provided a personal recommendation as to whether PPI is suitable for me. In other words, this has been a 'non-advised' sale. Just wondering whether they can use that as a defence. It seems, from what you say Landy, that they will use this to try and get out of paying. So I guess, what I'm thinking is, can they get away with it by stating it was a 'non-advised' sale?

Landy, did you send your SAR to RBS or DL? Just wanted to get it right first time to stop them making excuses. Good luck to you too. I will also follow your progress with interest.

But surely they SHOULD have advised if the product was suitable for you, I thought this was one of the main reasons for shouting miss selling? They can't just offer a product and then not give any advice on it??? :confused:

Can they prove the sale was none advised?

9-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent:o !! Lloyds and Halifax!

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Capital One

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Halifax Card Services

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Marbles

20-1-07 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent Halifax (Birchave0's sis)

8-3-07 PPI refund Lloyds TSB Loan £1200 + £2900 off loan balance

22-5-07 Halifax *Won* £1025

23-9-07 Goldfish 8k balance written off, £2300 PPI + charges returned, no agreement

Hi shizmoo:)

Like you we still had our original copy of the loan agreement and a record of payments we had made so we didn't actually bother doing a SAR. This is an old loan that was settled early in 2002. We have no paperwork regarding the PPI specifically though, not even a sheet regarding no personal recommendations having been made.

We sent our request for repayment to the following address -

Royal Bank of Scotland

PPI Customer Concerns Team

Regulatory Risk

5th Floor

1 Hardman Boulevard

Manchester

M3 3AQ

Apparently this department has been set up specifically to deal with PPI issues - as the name suggests!

I wonder whether all PPI sales, whether advised or non-advised should have a Demands and Needs form filled out? I had assumed they were for advised sales only, but in the case of the other loan I mentioned in my previous post (which is an unregulated loan for over £50,000 with Swift Advances) we do have a Demands and Needs form (albeit in the most basic fashion), but we have been told by them that this sale was unadvised - so now I'm confused:confused:

Regards,

Landy x

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

But surely they SHOULD have advised if the product was suitable for you, I thought this was one of the main reasons for shouting miss selling? They can't just offer a product and then not give any advice on it??? :confused:

Can they prove the sale was none advised?

I agree that they SHOULD advise. Isn't this what got the whole endowment fiasco into trouble?

As to whether they can prove the sale was non-advised I expect they can point to the fact that they sent me this piece of paper which says:

HOWEVER, I would think, from the moment they telephoned me, it became an 'advised' sale. As I said in my first post, I applied on-line and DID NOT tick the PPI box. PPI was sold to me on the phone.

Landy, I wanted to do a SAR to hopefully get the telephone transcripts. I'm just as confused as you are, but my feeling is that any financial product sold HAS to be advised. One of the reasons for endowment mis-selling was because customers were given 'unsuitable recommendations' which is exactly what DL did with me. They recommended something to me which was unsuitable.

I have had a quick look at the previous posts and whatever Direct Line/RBS state on the demands and needs or in fact the PPI mis-selling, IT IS IMPORTANT that you pursue your claim via the FOS. Do not be put off by letters from the banks. If the bank refuses your claim then submit a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service. Send copies of all correspondence both in and out and any other paperwork you have. Try to send photocopies or scanned copies as the FOS do lose paperwork. Also keep a spare copy for yourself. I know it can be time consuming doing all of this copying and I have many kilos of paper stacked away. But you must not let them fob you off with misleading information. The FOS is upholding 90% of claims submitted the sad thing is out of three million claims to the banks only 140,000 have been passed up to the FOS, this means 126,000 have had a success. If it was three million then 2,700.000 would have been successful. do not be put off from claiming.

aa

Bank charge successes:

PPI Successes

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Post 290 from