• Tweets

• How does one obtain the permit? The permit team number is only open between the hours of 9am to 3pm Mon - Fri. It says on the website, To obtain an additional 2 hours, the driver must pay a tariff of £3.00 + booking fees in person at our Security Hut, is that how you get the permit also, from the security hut? What a rigmaroll that would be but maybe just another step to take to try and catch people out?
    • Anotheruser0000 bear in mind that not all Judges are equally versed in the PoFA regulations. Fortunately now most of them are but sometimes a Judge from a higher Court sits in who is well experienced  in Law but not PoFA. and so they sometimes go "offkey" because their knowledge can raise a different set of arguments and solutions. It does seem particularly unfair  when the decision is so  bad . it can also be that in some situations the motorist being a lay person is not sufficiently know ledgeable to be able to counter a Judge's decisions in a way that a barrister could.
    • The argument about the date of receipt is now dead because the PCN  does not comply with the wording  of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4.  First reason Section 9 [2] [e]  "state that the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver and invite the keeper—(i)to pay the unpaid parking charges;" Second Reason Section 9 [2][a] "specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates;" All your PCN does is mark the time you entered and left the car park. It does not include all the myriad things you do in between-driving into the car park, looking for a parking space-perhaps a disabled space or  parent and Child place@ getting the children or disabled person out of the car then going shopping. Coming back; loading the car with shopping [, getting the children or disabled into the car, taking the trolley back to the store; driving to the exit perhaps stopping to let vehicles/pedestrians cross in front of you etc. so subtracting the driving times from before and after parking can make quite a difference from their time to the actual period parking time. So the upshot is now that only the driver is responsible for paying the PCN and the keeper is not liable at all even if the name of the driver is never known by Nexus so well done for not appealing. You obviously want to keep it that way to make it very difficult for them to win in Court if it ever goes that far. Although your question is now moot since  the same objective has been achieved by the non compliant PCN [ie no keeper liability] just  about the only way to dispute the timing of the PCN would be if one kept the envelope and there was a discernible date stamp on it that did not match the date on the PCN. There is a new Act coming out [and it cannot come quickly enough ] and one of the things required is that parking companies will have to prove the date of sending out their PCNs. We are not the only ones who sometimes doubt the veracity of their dates particularly as the later it is sent [unlawfully] the shorter the period motorists have to benefit [?] from the reduced payment. I haven't seen it on your posts but do you know how long you are permitted to park for free?
    • I was so annoyed and frustrated about the fact this case was lost it's been floating around my head all night. Dave962, are you sure that's what the Judge said? .... It doesn't make sense. Did the judge in fact dismiss the case on the grounds that the defendant did not make an appeal within 28 days? Effectively telling the PPC about the error entering the registration number and providing proof of payment at that time? To me, that's an important point.  
    • The United Autoworkers Union took a risk in a Republican - and often anti-union - part of the US.View the full article
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

dolly v Nationwide : * * WON * *

dolly
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1873 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

20 mths ago I stopped using my nationwide flex account. I never got statements for it, just once a year I think, and never really did much withit - paid money in, had a few small DD's coming out that sort of thing. Anyway, I went into the branch this morning to pay some money into the childrens accounts and it flagged up that they needed to speak to me about my account.

Apparently when I last used my account - July 2004 - I was 27p overdrawn. Want to know what my balance is now......

:shock::shock::lol:

Looking at the printout she gave me, they are charging me 30 a month for unauthorised overdraft usage plus an interest charge of around 27.28 a month, which obviously increases each month.

I guess I need to write them a letter?!

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

** Nationwide - £1821.15-PAID IN FULL - Aug 06 **

** Halifax Mortgage -£390 - PAID IN FULL - Nov 06 **

Lloyds TSB - MCOL issued 09/03/07 - £2953 + costs - ON HOLD....

Guest stephen

wel your doing well. I wonder how long it would take for them to ask you for the money? or if the would be stupid enought to try and claim it via the courts

Oh they asked me this morning what I planned to do - as I was in a rush and the baby was yelling (good girl, trained her well :lol: ) I said I would look into it....so I have, here!!

Funnily enough I have never received a letter from either them or from a debt collection agency about it which did strike me as odd at the time.

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

Guest stephen

Personally, I would send them a letter saying here is the 27p i owe you if you want the rest see you in court. (However, that just me)

I would suggest you write to them and explain that these are penalty charges and enclose a cheque for 27p in full and final settlement.

dont you know how much money you can make from this though! see... you owe them 27p plus the interest on that original 27p. they owe you the bank fees, plus the interest they charged on the fees plus 8% APR. thats running at £68.16 per year so far. id work out how much they really owe you and then sue them for it :) you should make a nice little profit

Guest stephen

soory guys but she want make any money, all she will do is get the amount wiped form the balance, that they say she owes, she cannot claim interest on this as, becasue she has not paid it.

Therefore, my first advice stands send them a cheque for the 27p that you did owe and inform them that the rest are illegal charges.

Thanks Stephen, that is great.

Also have other charges over the years, namely when they decided to clear a cheque for about £180 and then 3 weeks later decided that it had not cleared at all and that it was written from a cancelled chequebook, debited the money from my account which left me over the limit with a few small DD's not coming out.

How on earth can they do that? How can they say a cheque has cleared, give you the money only to take it away again?

Well, I took your advice Stephen and sent them a cheque on Saturday for 27p along with a copy of the letter due to charges over the past 5 years.

Will let you know how it goes - not expecting them to bow down without a battle but you never know.

Thanks again.

OK, paid the 27p and asked for the charges to be paid back. Today got this letter:

Dear Mrs Dolly

Account No: xxxxxxx

I acknowledge receipt of your letter dated 9th February and note the comments rgarding the charges made to your account.

I am sorry you are dissatisfied with the charges and feel that they are unreasonable. However, to help clarify the situation can I please draw your attention to the enclosed Terms and COnditions and flex account interest rates and charges leaflets. These terms and conditions were agreed to on 23rd July 2001 when the account was opened.

I am also enclosing duplicate statements as requested showing all transactions made on the account since it was opened.

I hope this explanation is satisfactory. However, in line with our internal complaints procedure detailed in the leaflet provided I can escalate your concerns to my senior manager.

Got loads of sheets of statements, the leaflets as mentioned. It was sent from the Customer Services Manager at my local branch. No mention made anywhere of the 27p!

Onto step 2 then! Onwards and upwards!!

Edited to add: have just totalled up all the charges since opening the account and it stands at £1508.61, not including the 8%.

Thanks

xx

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a reply today - was a bit lax and didn't send off my second letter until Friday last week but today got this reply:

Dear Mrs Dolly

Thank you for your recent letter, your concerns regarding your Flexaccount have been passed to me for reply as the senior manager responsible for the **** branch.

The Nationwide Group uses the FSA rules when dealing with customers concerns. I've enclosed a leaflet that explains our Internal Complaints Procedure.

I'll send a full response to you by 26 March at the latest, but hope to do so before. Please bear with me till then.

If you'd like to raise any queries with me, my address and telephone number are at the top of this letter.

Thank you for giving me the chance to deal with your concerns.

Quality Manager North West.

In my letter I gave them 14 days, so am going to respond to this saying that the 14 day time limit I imposed still stands.

Must say that I am really impressed with the speed that they have responded on both occasions - it has always been by return of post. Incidentally, they should be reported to Royal Mail as well as they are sending out first class letters with only 29p on as the stamp value instead of 30p :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, got the final response to my letters just now in which I said I would take them to court if the charges weren't refunded.

Seems to be a bog standard letter of refusal really, nothing interesting stands out: thanks for getting in touch, blah blah. Paraphrased below:

"We are grateful for the opportunity to explain the rationale behind our charging policy. As you know, if we allow items to be paid and it means you exceed your agreed overdraft or we have to return an item unpaid on your account, then we will make a charge in accordance with the terms and conditions.....and these are agreed to by yourself when you sign in acceptance of our terms, when signing the application forms.

Nationwide believes it is open and transparent about charges....I hope that this has helped clarify our position and you'll appreciate why I'm unable to refund any charges on your account'.

Particularly loving the use of the word 'appreciate' in there!

Oh, and if they don't hear from me within the next 56 days they'll close the file. Guess they won't be doing that then because next Tuesday, 14th March, I am filling in the court papers.

• 2 months later...

Hi all.

Just following up this thread - have had a really rough couple of months so everything went on the back burner but now I am up and ready to fight again.

Have completed the moneyclaim form as went through all the procedure a couple of months ago, (just about to pay for it)but since then there have been extra charges added so the original letters I sent out now have an old figure on.

Do I need to go through it all again or can I just fill in the correct figure? Difference is about £400. Got a comprehensive 'bog off' from the bank anyway.

Thank you as always.

Personally I would just amend the amount on the moneyclaim form as in principle the bank have already told you to bog off...

25/06/08 - NatWest - Prelim letter

09/03/06 - Halifax - Settled 27/4

22/03/06 - Capital One - Settled 24/6

17/04/06 - Nationwide - Settled 8/9

Hit the DONATE BUTTON and give 5% back to support this site!

but you must admit they do like to be different

Good luck

J

You may think that but . . ......

Total repaid to date £1947.58

Lloyds Currrent a/c £745.27

Moneyclaim filed 17th June

Defence and AQ 25th July. Case struck out 11 Aug

reinstated and hearing 15th Jan 2007

Lloyds loan a/c D A request expired 19th June

Proceedings under S7 Data Protection Act issued 29th June defence and counterclaim 27 July

Hearing Jan 3 2007

Listed final hearing April 2007-

Judge declared an interest and disqualified himself

new date to be set

Addressed all my correspondance to my branch but received letters back from NW Regional Office......who would be best to serve papers on?

Thanks....getting excited now, just about to pay :)

Done it!

Claim Ref: 6QZ38787, £1821.15 + £120 Costs.

Must be a sign as well as my first charge was made 14/06/2002, exactly 4 years ago!

Fingers crossed guys :)

Hi Dolly,

I am just off to court too. Haven't started proceedings yet though, Am scared! Can you have a look at my thread I have asked a couple of questions but had no response, also how did you change the title of your thread??

Thanks Dolly,

Juicy

Got my acknowledgement through the post. It is deemed served on the 20th June and Nationwide have until 4th July to respond.

Good luck and well done for making the claim. We are slightly further on. We did Moneyclaim on 31 May, notice deemed to be served 5 June but they must have got it sooner as we have a letter dated 2 June (but not received until a whole week later so this may be wrong) saying charges have been refunded. It's not yet confirmed but at least it's a good positive step. The amounts are very similar to yours.

Also the claim was acknowledged by Nationwide on 9 June.

Based on that I expect you to hear something very soon. Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks joneshousehold - let's hope they do the same for me, and you Sunnyjools as well :) They must be busy at the moment!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1873 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks