To Claim or Not to Claim ? Advice pls

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5328 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I was involved in an incident where a young pedestrian fell off a kerb into the side of my car, fortunately he sustained only a few cuts & bruises. The collision broke off my wing mirror, put a small dent in the door and smashed the windscreen.

The Police attended and let me take my car straight away as other witness indicated he had fell from the kerb.

I had planned to leave the dent as it only small, replace the wing mirror myself and have the windscreen replaced on the windscreen cover of my insurance, so not to lose any NCB.

I am just wondering if this would be the right way to go, will they just accept it as a windscreen replacement or see it as an accident and a proper claim, especially as I will have to declare the incident when I next apply for insurance at renewal.

Any advice welcomed.

Thanks for the replies, I have it sorted now.

The boy wasn't messing around, just standing on his own waiting to cross, it appears he simply slipped on the muddy bank. (shame he didn't use the crossing 30ft away).

Anyway I spoke to my insurance company and they said they wouldn't even try to pursue a claim against a pedestrian, they said they would be happy for me to go down the windscreen route, they said a proper claim would go against me as a claim on my insurance and effect future insurance premiums, NCB etc. etc.

So I have ordered the replacement windscreen, mirror & wiper blade needed.

Leaving me £150 out of pocket :(

Mmm, personally, I don't see why you should be out of pocket as it clearly wasn't you that was responsible for the damage. I would be inclined to write to the boy's parents stating that you have incurred this expence as a result of their child 'colliding' with your car and although you regard this as an accident, it could of been avoided had the boy used the near by crossing. Point out that the incident could of been a lot worse had a bus been there instead of your car which may have been moving at the time. So at the very least this incident should make their son considers himself extremely lucky on this occasion and perhaps in the interests of fairness, they would like to offer some form of contribution to your non-fault expences.

Got to be worth a stamp even if they ignore it... you never know!

Mmm, personally, I don't see why you should be out of pocket as it clearly wasn't you that was responsible for the damage. I would be inclined to write to the boy's parents stating that you have incurred this expence as a result of their child 'colliding' with your car and although you regard this as an accident, it could of been avoided had the boy used the near by crossing. Point out that the incident could of been a lot worse had a bus been there instead of your car which may have been moving at the time. So at the very least this incident should make their son considers himself extremely lucky on this occasion and perhaps in the interests of fairness, they would like to offer some form of contribution to your non-fault expences.

Got to be worth a stamp even if they ignore it... you never know!

So 13 year old boys are expected to be perfect now and never make mistakes, are they? Are you going to take away his school dinner money as well?! :/

Anyway I spoke to my insurance company and they said they wouldn't even try to pursue a claim against a pedestrian, they said they would be happy for me to go down the windscreen route, they said a proper claim would go against me as a claim on my insurance and effect future insurance premiums, NCB etc. etc.

So I have ordered the replacement windscreen, mirror & wiper blade needed.

Leaving me £150 out of pocket :(

they wouldnt even try to pursue it??? id go back ask them why do i pay you premium then.

when they say the windscreen route,was this so that you did not loose any NCD?, and why have you had to pay £150? was this the excess for the windscreen? normally glass is only £75

So 13 year old boys are expected to be perfect now and never make mistakes, are they? Are you going to take away his school dinner money as well?! :/

Point is lemon, he could of paid with his life. There was an incident in very similar circumstances on the Isle of Wight about a year ago when a child waiting for a school bus was standing on a grass bank at the side of the road when he slipped IN FRONT of an approaching car and was suffered serious head injuries.

So if 'taking away his school dinner money' will teach this lad a lesson thus prolonging his life, then yes I would!

Point is lemon, he could of paid with his life. There was an incident in very similar circumstances on the Isle of Wight about a year ago when a child waiting for a school bus was standing on a grass bank at the side of the road when he slipped IN FRONT of an approaching car and was suffered serious head injuries.

So if 'taking away his school dinner money' will teach this lad a lesson thus prolonging his life, then yes I would!

Years ago, a situation like this would have been dealt with by sternly telling the child off, not by suing them! No wonder the UK now has one of the highest rates of childhood mental illness. We should allow children to be children.

Years ago, a situation like this would have been dealt with by sternly telling the child off, not by suing them! No wonder the UK now has one of the highest rates of childhood mental illness. We should allow children to be children.

Er where have I mentioned 'suing'? Do we allow 'children to be children' even if it means putting themselves in danger?

At the end of the day, this particular young man was extemely lucky to have fell onto the car and not under it so let's hope he has learned somthing from this. I don't think it is unreasonable for the OP to 'suggest' that the parents contribute towards the damage that their child has caused to his car. If a kid 'accidently' kicks a ball through one of your windows Lemon, would'nt you expect them or their parents to pay for it? If the child had used the crossing which was apparently only 30 yards away, then the whole incident could of been avoided.

they wouldnt even try to pursue it??? id go back ask them why do i pay you premium then.

when they say the windscreen route,was this so that you did not loose any NCD?, and why have you had to pay £150? was this the excess for the windscreen? normally glass is only £75

Yes windscreen route is I don't lose my NCD.

Windscreen excess was £75, but I had to get a wing mirror which was £69 (second hand) and a new wiper £6.