intrum justitia phone call..taking me to court

sidekick100
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5332 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

just received a phone call from a RUDE person from intrum saying i owe them €200+ for ebay fees

they first contacted me in april i replied with a letter asking them to prove i owed the debt and no response until today

the guy on the phone hesitated to tell me who he was then started asking my age etc. i said who am i speaking to and he explained

i said why are you calling me when i asked for written confirmation of the debt and never received it..he said "get pen and paper, i will give you the ebay account to login and look at the debt" i said excuse me, please send it in a written letter like i asked for and he said he can't do that because they forwarded my letter to ebay and ebay said i still owe the debt or something

then he got extremely rude and said he was going to take me to court and i said fine and hung up. can they do this? over €200 or so?

thanks. i havent received any letters from them in about 2 months, was hoping they finally decided to leave me alone.

the guy on the phone was very rude and trying to come across as intimidating but i just said fine when he threatened the court action and hung up.

will tell my mother to say i don't live here if any more phone calls come to the house for me. i hope they don't actually call out to the house over it.

if it does go to court - whats the worst they can do? just make me pay the debt correct?

If you refuse to answer the security questions, they should not even discuss the debt with you.

I beleive that OFT have just warned this lot.

at first i thought it was paypal calling me because i have been having issues with my account and their staff usually have middle eastern accents too - but the guy wouldn't even say he was from intrum just that it was a "phone call relating to ebay debt"!! when i said i don't think i owed the debt he said YES YOU DO! i said please provide me with written proof of this and he kept refusing!

he asked me my name and i gave the first name (Before i realized who he was) but refused to confirm my last name, age or any other info!

He Was Also Going To Give You The Ebay Log In Details

Now He Should Not Even Have That Info

yeah thats what i thought! i guess after a certain period of time ebay give them all information or something.

still weird how he would give me that info but refusd to send me written proof that i owed the debt in question

This Will Prob Never Get To Court

Relax

Even If It Went To Court And You Lost

Just Pay It With In 30 Days And No Ccj Will Be Recorded

thanks.. just kinda panicking.. i'm 19 so i don't want a bad record already!

*if* it does go to court do they usually issue a court date soon? i am going on holiday soon and money is kind of tight right now

i told him that i mentioned in my letter not to contact me via phone again and he just said that he can if he wants because i owe the money!

If they do contact you again, send this.

Dear Sir/Madam

Account no:

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

thanks.. just kinda panicking.. i'm 19 so i don't want a bad record already!

*if* it does go to court do they usually issue a court date soon? i am going on holiday soon and money is kind of tight right now

i told him that i mentioned in my letter not to contact me via phone again and he just said that he can if he wants because i owe the money!

Just tell them that owing to Identity theft issues, you refuse to answer questions over the phone.

Sounds like an Indian call centre.

If they do contact you again, send this.

Dear Sir/Madam

Account no:

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

that is the letter i sent them in late april/early may! he said they received it and forwarded the letter to ebay, ebay told them i still owed the debt and so they have to get the money from me.. he refused to give me written proof of what debt is owed

Just tell them that owing to Identity theft issues, you refuse to answer questions over the phone.

Sounds like an Indian call centre.

the first man who called me from there (in april) was actually friendly, i'm guessing it was because he was hoping i would pay up. i told him i didn't think i owed the debt and he said "maybe it was identity theft" and i mentioned that phone call to the guy who called today and he just said no that didn't happen YOU owe the debt. i did say i didn't feel comfortable giving that info through the phone and that he should contact me via mail but he refused to do so!!!

DCA threat monkeys are nothing but louts that have to be treated like such in return.

The threat of court is just that - a threat.

Refuse to answer security questions, thats the golden rule.

hopefully - i was googling and it seems like it would cost them a lot to go through the courts so i am hoping they go away

is there any way to get them to back off other than paying them?

they didn't seem to pay attention to my letter

No do not pay them anything unless they prove you owe the debt or if ever a court ordered you to pay anything.

In this case, id simply just stop speaking to them - refuse to answer security questions,insist everything in writing only & just hang up.

If this cretin sees he's not getting to you, he'll soon give up.

No do not pay them anything unless they prove you owe the debt or if ever a court ordered you to pay anything.

In this case, id simply just stop speaking to them - refuse to answer security questions,insist everything in writing only & just hang up.

If this cretin sees he's not getting to you, he'll soon give up.

i am curious why they cant just send me it in writing!! should i have my parents say i moved next time they call or just say "i would prefer you contact me in writing" when they call next time?

Edited by sidekick100

Weather you do or dont owe it is no-one's concern on here....we will just advise you were the DCA is concerned & all the harrassment etc..

Simply say "In writing only" over & over again - he'll soon get fed up & hang up.

Dont answer/verify or clarify ANY security questions.

Simply say "In writing only" over & over again - he'll soon get fed up & hang up.

Dont answer/verify or clarify ANY security questions.

i edited my post..never know if their staff lurks these forums..but just incase! thank you for your help,i can imagine how frustrated he will be next time he calls lol ;)

There you go, upsetting a body on a saturday afternoon. I spent 4 glorious months working in Ireland last year. Miss the breakfasts and the people. Stayed in a hotel in Leixlip. Glorious.

Not sure in ireland. Do you have the equivalent of a CAB that you can ask?