Problem with LA Fitness / NuYuu

happymittens
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4892 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Happymittens! Thanks for ur email. Will do the same & let u know the outcome. Otherwise try contacting ur local trading standards.... Cheers!

I contacted my bank as nuyuu had taken money from my account on direct debit without me signing a new direct debit form, even although I had given notification that I was cancelling due to the pool closing.

Apparently, according to the bank this is OK when a company is taken over.

The only way to stop them is to actually cancel the direct debit with the bank.

Just cancelling the membership does not cancel their access to your bank account.

This has been one big farcical transfer !!!

Hi Jasb! Thanks for ur response. When I cancelled my Membership with LA fitness I Cancelled my Direct Debit with them. But this Nuyuu Fitness setup a New Direct Debit without even telling me & I never signed any Mandate. That's not fair & I believe it's fraud as accessing somebody's account without their permission. So what about the £42? How do I get it back? Any suggestions?

I contacted my bank as nuyuu had taken money from my account on direct debit without me signing a new direct debit form, even although I had given notification that I was cancelling due to the pool closing.

Apparently, according to the bank this is OK when a company is taken over.

The only way to stop them is to actually cancel the direct debit with the bank.

Just cancelling the membership does not cancel their access to your bank account.

This has been one big farcical transfer !!!

Unfortunately i couldn't cancel my direct debit as there was no direct debit to cancel at the time! LA Fitness had cancelled theirs, but there was nothing to say NuYuu had set one up, so i couldn't cancel and just had to wait.

I don't like the fact that your bank details can get passed on, and you get no opportunity to sign anything to say you are happy for someone else to take money from you.

I think the lack of information and proper responses to queries has been the biggest disappointment with this whole thing. Why do all gyms seem to treat their members with contempt?

So what do we do to stop this from happening in Future & how do we get our money back?

You need to contact your bank and they'll start the process for you.

To stop it happening in the future? Don't know! Don't join a gym?! I was actually enjoying using mine :sad:

Hi have spoken to my bank and they are going to request the money back from Nuyuu and should be in my bank Monday. The bank advised it will probably be Monday now but i will keep you all posted.

If you have cancelled you directed debit they are not allowed to set this back up without permission.

I have had legal advise on this and this is not allowed by Nuyuu! All - please take further action and do not be defeated!

If you had a group wide membership then you have s significantly stronger case, as nuyuu only has three branches against LA Fitness 100?

The correspondence I received said that I didnt need to do anything and in this case it is right to assume that my access to the LA fitness gyms nationwide is unaffected.

Until one day LA Fitness tell me they have cancelled my membership.

Where is Ben, nuyuu MD today?

Could I please direct a question to Ben, the MD of Nuyuu.

Last week I walked past the Eastgrinstead Nuyuu gym and read a sign that said "2 months membership for £49.99". I was really happy about this, and went on your website and liked the way that you market yourself as a value-for-money gym.

However, I went to join up this week at that price and discovered that the offer ended last week. I guess it is my fault for not signing up last week, but I am really disappointed that it will now cost me more than double that to join for two months (I am being quoted at £29.99 per month plus a £49.99 joining fee). That, to my mind, is not great value for money, especially as I do not want the pool included in my membership!

I would happily sign up for a 12 month membership, quoted as being £24.99 per month with a £44.99 joining fee, however the problem is that I may not be around East Grinstead come the new year. I would even sign up for the 2 month offer at £29.99 - but not with a £49.99 joining fee!

Will Nuyuu be offering any more 'real' value for money memberships at East Grinstead that are of a shorter contract duration?

Thanks

Benhorton

Thanks, appreciate the difference between 3 and 83 - we are looking to provide some basic fundamentals at our clubs which members have not received at many of the bigger chains - cleanliness, friendliness, and a real focus on Customer Results - the real reason people go to gyms - not for swimming pools, treadmills, or anything else. We hope at some point that you will be able to experience the brand of nuyuu at a location near you!

Good luck

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

I notice a lot of comments above, but few with any accuracy. We are handed an existing contract with LA fitness that is linked to a 'home club' that contract is valid as legally the fulfillment of the facilities you pay for are linked to a physical site, not a brand. As such we are within our rights to collect monies due for these services. There have been cases where the data passed to us from LA fitness was poor and some previously cancelled members were given to us as active members. This was a mistake on LA fitness' part and we are refunding directly anyone who can show us that they cancelled with LA fitness.

I would advise you to speak to your local club if you have any issues and we will help where we can to deal with this, or contact us direct as per our website - at [email protected].

Regards

Could I please direct a question to Ben, the MD of Nuyuu.

Last week I walked past the Eastgrinstead Nuyuu gym and read a sign that said "2 months membership for £49.99". I was really happy about this, and went on your website and liked the way that you market yourself as a value-for-money gym.

However, I went to join up this week at that price and discovered that the offer ended last week. I guess it is my fault for not signing up last week, but I am really disappointed that it will now cost me more than double that to join for two months (I am being quoted at £29.99 per month plus a £49.99 joining fee). That, to my mind, is not great value for money, especially as I do not want the pool included in my membership!

I would happily sign up for a 12 month membership, quoted as being £24.99 per month with a £44.99 joining fee, however the problem is that I may not be around East Grinstead come the new year. I would even sign up for the 2 month offer at £29.99 - but not with a £49.99 joining fee!

Will Nuyuu be offering any more 'real' value for money memberships at East Grinstead that are of a shorter contract duration?

Thanks

Hi

You were misinformed. We offer no contract memberships as well as 12 month memberships, pricing is transparent and simple. For 2 months at East Grinstead, it would be £20 joining fee and then £24.99 per month for gym only access. For full pricing, please visit the club and speak to Alex.

Regards

I notice a lot of comments above, but few with any accuracy. We are handed an existing contract with LA fitness that is linked to a 'home club' that contract is valid as legally the fulfillment of the facilities you pay for are linked to a physical site, not a brand. As such we are within our rights to collect monies due for these services. There have been cases where the data passed to us from LA fitness was poor and some previously cancelled members were given to us as active members. This was a mistake on LA fitness' part and we are refunding directly anyone who can show us that they cancelled with LA fitness.

I would advise you to speak to your local club if you have any issues and we will help where we can to deal with this, or contact us direct as per our website - at [email protected].

Regards

I'm sorry but this doesn't seem right at all. When people signed up for a particular membership, they specifically signed up to use more than one premises. As LA Fitness are no longer honouring that, and as NuYuu can't honour it, then people should be entitled to cancel their memberships at no penalty to themselves. If they wanted to just use one gym, then they would have signed up just to use one gym in the first place. But they didn't.

I spoke to Consumer Direct about this, and they agreed that people are not getting what they signed up for, and it therefore means there has been a breach of contract, and as the contracts are now owned by Nuyuu, then Nuyuu have breached the contracts.

Hi - I am pleased to say that NuYuu have been true to their word and cancelled my account with a full refund, too.

I needed the group-wide membership, which NuYuu cannot provide, so asked LA to sign me to another club and continue as before. They then had the cheek to say yes, but we will charge you an extra £10 per month.

I threatened legal action to the person I was speaking to at the club, but they just kept putting me off. Eventually I emailed the LA CEO direct and said I was going to sue for breach of contract.

I have now been offered my old contract back at the same money. It's a shame it took a month - and now I have joined another gym. I am still going to carry on the breach case unless they compensate me for the expenses incurred.

If anyone wants the CEOs email , just send me a private message.

I'm sorry but this doesn't seem right at all. When people signed up for a particular membership, they specifically signed up to use more than one premises. As LA Fitness are no longer honouring that, and as NuYuu can't honour it, then people should be entitled to cancel their memberships at no penalty to themselves. If they wanted to just use one gym, then they would have signed up just to use one gym in the first place. But they didn't.

I spoke to Consumer Direct about this, and they agreed that people are not getting what they signed up for, and it therefore means there has been a breach of contract, and as the contracts are now owned by Nuyuu, then Nuyuu have breached the contracts.

Happy Mittens, this is again not accurate. Only certain members had access to ALL LA fitness sites, about 12% of the total LA fitness membership base. This was also based on a term of membership stating that primary usage must be at the home gym. If someone has one of these memberships, they are able to cancel immediately. There has never been any issues with this, so I am not sure the problem you are bringing to this forum?

Regards

Ben

Happy Mittens, this is again not accurate. Only certain members had access to ALL LA fitness sites, about 12% of the total LA fitness membership base. This was also based on a term of membership stating that primary usage must be at the home gym. If someone has one of these memberships, they are able to cancel immediately. There has never been any issues with this, so I am not sure the problem you are bringing to this forum?

Regards

Ben

It wasn't clear from your posting that people with the all sites membership could cancel immediately. If that's the case, then that's great and there is no problem.

Hi Ben,

I'm never joining another gym again in my life after my recent experiences (and NuYuu is not in my area anyway) but I utterly applaud your willingness to come on to this forum and communicate with people.

If your membership lists were not what you were expecting, I hope you had decent protection in your purchase agreement with LA Fitness and pursue it vigorously!! ;)

When I joined la fitness there was a swimming pool, this was the main attraction. Now that you have taken away the swimming pool I feel that I do not want to use this as much as I previously did. Also I am struggling with my financial situation at the moment. Therefore I will be canceling my direct debit which is due at the end of this month.

Thanks

Emily Peat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there

nuyuu does not 'steal' money from our customers, if you have had a payment go through that you don't believe is due - there will be a valid explanation and solution for this. Please contact us at [email protected] and I will happily do what I can to resolve this for you. We are open and honest and will do everything we can to deal with your complaint quickly.

Regards

Ben