Problem with LA Fitness / NuYuu

happymittens
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4913 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hope someone can help!

At the start of March, I joined my local LA Fitness, and used it fairly regularly. Last week all members received a letter saying it had been taken over by a new chain called NuYuu. It outlined all the improvements including removing the pool (which, to me, isn't an improvement, but there you go).

Now, I am nearly 7 months pregnant and the pool is the only thing i use now.

I called LA Fitness yesterday to talk about cancelling, and was told i had to contact NuYuu which i did this morning. I received a reply from one of the directors saying i'd be able to cancel (with 30 days notice), if i was out of contract. I replied saying I wasn't out of contract but felt i should be entitled to cancel as a major facility had been taken away. I've not had a reply yet.

I just wanted to know what people thought, and if there was any advice.

Also, I'm slightly confused as to why I have to cancel with NuYuu. I signed a contract with LA Fitness. Are these things just transferable? That doesn't seem right to me.

I don't want a lot of stress about this, but on the other hand I don't want to just give in.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you absolutely have the right to cancel if you are within your 12 month contract and they are removing a major facility.

I'm sure you will find the new company will allow this to happen

Thanks Andie.

I'm hoping that I'm worrying over nothing, and they will surprise me by saying "OK you can cancel". I'll keep you updated!

I used to work for a number of health clubs and know sometimes how funny they can be about cancellations - but in the instance where they are removing a pool - one of the major reasons for people joining a health club I don't think in good conscience they could tell a pregnant woman she has to continue paying for a facility that is no longer going to be there.....but I may stand to be corrected.

Please keep me updated - I will help take the fight to them if they decide to be funny about it :)

Hi

I am the MD of nuyuu fitness. I am suprised you haven't had an email back as I am personally replying to all emails. My response would have been that at the point that we close the pool, we will let you cancel your membership. As of right now - the pool is open and working - so enjoy!

Thanks

Ben

Hi Ben - just out of interest I am assuming you are not asking for 30 days notice on this when the pool closes?

i.e. if the pool closes on 1st Nov (just a hypothtical) are your members going to be able to cancel as of that date or will you make them pay an extra 30 days??

HI Ben,

You did reply to my first email, just waiting for a response to my second!

I'm glad that I will be able to cancel. But I'd be interested to see your response to Andie, as I obviously don't want to pay for another full month after the pool has gone.

Please advise me as to what I should do next.

• 2 weeks later...
hi. We will give you notice of the pool closure, therefore we will receive your 30 day notice if you wish to cancel.

many thanks

You haven't answered the question which was, if the pool closes on for example 1 November, will membership cease with immediate effect, or will you still try to extort 30 days notice for a facility which will not exist ?

I think what Ben was saying is that they will give more than 30 days notice before the pool closes to allow customers to give their notice before losing the facility.

Ben is an ex employee of LA fitness so he would know what he needs to do to keep his customers happy and I think he is being more than fair in allowing customers to leave their contracts early and giving them time to give their 30 days notice prior to losing the pool facility.

I don't think there is anything more he could or should be doing in this situation.

I think what Ben was saying is that they will give more than 30 days notice before the pool closes to allow customers to give their notice before losing the facility.

Ben is an ex employee of LA fitness so he would know what he needs to do to keep his customers happy and I think he is being more than fair in allowing customers to leave their contracts early and giving them time to give their 30 days notice prior to losing the pool facility.

I don't think there is anything more he could or should be doing in this situation.

A notice was placed at the Reception in Livingston this week stating that the pool was to be decommissioned mid October, so that is not giving more than 30 days notice, as you say.

Then therefore contacts should be allowed to cease on that day should the user so wish as a facilty that was the basis for their membership has been removed.

I'm sure if he comes back on here he would confirm as such. If you are a member of the club I would put your notice in writing now to say that as of X date when the pool is decommisioned your membership should be terminated and that you will make no more future payments.

And just for reference I do not work for either of the companies involved I used to work in the industry and that is why I am offering advice.

I was suppositioning from Ben's previous comments that he would give the 30 days notice, not stating it as fact.

Hi,

I too am not pleased with my membership being taken over by nuyuu. I registered at LA fitness in East Grinstead but since moved to Brighton and thought I could keep on using my LA fitness membership but since found out this had been cancelled without my consent. I am nearly 6 months pregnant and went to use the swimming pool in brighton to find out i couldn't.

I have sent emails but no one seems to get respond not even an acknowledgment to say it will be dealt with in a certain timeframe.

I am prepared to take matters further as have been advised that you do not have to continue with the new club as they weren't the people i orignally signed a contract with.

I'm glad its not only me.

Hannah

Hi everyone

I am not happy with how LA Fitness has handled this.

I have group wide membership, out of East Grinstead - I move around and use various branches.

Not only has LA Fitness terminated this agreement, but nuyuu have started taking money from my account, just to use their one branch in east Grinstead.

The contract i signed was for group-wide membership. Luckily i checked my bank today and managed to get the money back from nuyuu.

I look forward to seeing Ben's comment on this - how does nuyuu intend to offer me nationwide membership. And the amount nuyuu tried to take is much more than what nuyuu offer (because Ben's company tried to charge me for nationwide membership - what a nerve!)

Hannah

I am afraid your complaints are mis-directed to nuyuu. Your membership is registered and contracted to a 'home club'. THis is supposed to be the primary club of your use, and the terms of your membership with LA fitness would be in breach by your failure to tell them that you have moved to Brighton - thereby using your membership at a cheaper rate than you would have paid at Brighton. When nuyuu purchased the East Grinstead club from LA fitness, your membership was therefore still registered at East Grinstead as your home club - not something that is nuyuu's fault. We have therefore acted with complete integrity. I am afraid that in this situation there will always be unhappy customers because of the change of ownership and as such are doing our best to keep deal with things in a fair manner.

benhorton

nuyuu has started taking your direct debited amount under the terms of your membership that now resides with us, we are entirely within our rights to do this. If you don't wish to continue with nuyuu, you are able to cancel your membership as anyone wishes to. If you have been into the club, and if your address details were correct - you will have received numerous communications letting you know how and when the members will all have a chance to change to nuyuu pricing. Nationwide access is available to you, but unfortunately won't get you far with only 3 clubs currently!

Ben

Thanks for your reply.

Fundamental to my contract with la fitness was access to a network of clubs nationwide. As LA Fitness has terminated this agreement, and you do not offer a comparable product, there is no contract.

You cannot contemplate that membership of a club with 3 branches, one of which is in scotland is comparable to the contract i originally entered into.

LA Fitness have already contacted me about setting up a new membership.

Benhorton

Ben - how did you manage to get the money back from nuyuu through your bank?

I had let east grinstead know my change of address in June and they said it wouldnt be a problem as i had nationwide membership same as you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Hannah

I used to be member of LA Fitness (Livingston) but my membership with them is sitting as cancelled since the 30/09/09. Why Nuyuu Fitness have taken Money £42 from my bank account without my Authorisation as I am not a Member anymore. I want that Money to be refunded to my Bank Account asap otherwise I am going to Contact West Lothian Trading Standards & Police as well as I have enough of this Nonsense. I need a response within 48 hours as Nuyuu fitness have committed a Fraud & I am definitely going to contact Police if this doesn't get resolved within 48 hours.

I used to be member of LA Fitness (Livingston) but my membership with them is sitting as cancelled since the 30/09/09. Why Nuyuu Fitness have taken Money £42 from my bank account without my Authorisation as I am not a Member anymore. I want that Money to be refunded to my Bank Account asap otherwise I am going to Contact West Lothian Trading Standards & Police as well as I have enough of this Nonsense. I need a response within 48 hours as Nuyuu fitness have committed a Fraud & I am definitely going to contact Police if this doesn't get resolved within 48 hours.

Jamilayz, that has happened to me too. I have been told they have cancelled my contract, but they have just taken money out too. I am assuming it was just an overlap of the cancellation and the direct debit coming out, and have contacted my bank.

I have to say, the way in which the takeover of my gym happened was handled quite badly. There was no warning, and no specific information about what was happening with contracts etc, just about what was happening with the gym. I also find it impossible to actually speak to anyone at NuYuu. They really should have people answering their phones. Especially at times like these.