Water pressure - Whose responsibility?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4422 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am renting a flat from a landlord through a letting agency. The water pressure is very low and I've asked the letting agents to look into this but they have not done so. Are they obligated to sort this or should I be contacting the water board?

Regards,

Joe

Depends on whether the cause of the low water pressure is to do with something the LL has/has not done (eg. is it an old house & the pipes are furred up & should have been descaled?) or if it is coming in off the mains like that.

If it is for eg. that you are at the top of a high block & there just isn't enough pressure to service your requirements, you could ask the LL to install a pump to boost the pressure.

Are you in a block of flats? Do any of your neighbours have the same problem? If they do, it sounds as though it is a utility problem & you should contact them to test the pressure.

I understand that many people complain to the utility that they are not getting sufficient pressure when they are getting the acceptable 'standard' but were actually used to getting a higher bar than standard in previous accommodation & therefore regard just plain 'standard' as low when in fact it isn't. I used to live in a new house in an area that also had new service pipes so when I moved to a house with older service pipes & the distance from the mains to my house was also increased, I found my pressure 'low'. I had it tested & it wasn't - it was just my perception due to comparison. C'est la vie...

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Thanks for your reply.

It is a block of flats but they are less than 2 years old and I'm on the ground floor. I do not know about the other flats. The pressure is certainly low, though I will time how long it takes to fill a litre when I am back there at the weekend.

Sounds as though it could be a utility problem if your flat is ground floor & only 2 years old. Maybe there is is an underground leak somewhere?

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.