Want to extend tenancy agreement (credit record)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5302 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am hoping someone will be able to provide me with some advice on my housing situation. In June 2009 I took on a private tenancy with a letting agent, the tenancy is for 6 Months. Because of my poor credit record (I have a CCJ which expired Jun 2010 but all other bills are paid on time and have been for Years) I had to pay the six months rent in advance. The tenancy ends in December but I would like to extend it, I have kept the property in perfect condition and would have no problems paying the rent but I am presuming that the letting agent will require me to apply again and sign a new tenancy agreement which will include credit checks and the likes of.... I don't have the money to pay six months in advance this time, I could probably stretch to two but do you think this will be a big problem or that I could loose the tenancy? I have nowhere else to go and this is really worrying me, I also don't have anyone who could be a guarantor - my credit record will be fully repaired in June 2010 when I shouldn't have this problem.

I presume I will be issued with a section 21 soon as it's near on the 4th month, what should I do?

HELP PLEASE :confused:

I've never encountered a Letting Agent that undertakes a fresh credit check on renewal of a 6 month tenancy so I wouldn't worry about that.

They may ask for a further 6 months rent though again if you've been a good tenant and kept the property in good order and not had any bad words with the Agency I would think they may just offer a renewal (if available) under normal terms.

My last tenancy began with a Guarantor being required but after the first 6 month term this was no longer asked for.

I would recommend contacting the Agency and asking what the renewal conditions are likely to be - at the same time pointing out that you would really like to remain in the property as a good tenant. I'm sure it's primarily up to the landlord who may well consider that this option is better than looking for a new tenant (my latest rented property - due to commence on the 26th was referred due to a CCJ from 2004 but all they did was add £150 on to the deposit I needed - and this was the landlord's decision, NOT the Agency's).

• 4 weeks later...

They have said they will renew the tenancy but want the full six months in advance, which i simply can't afford.

I have emailed them and said I wanted to pay monthly and would be willing to pay 1 month in advance (they already have a deposit and 1 months rent when I first took on the tenancy). Looks like its homelessness for me if i can't find another tenancy who will accept me by the beginning of december. The damn ccj gets deleted next year - thank god!

It seems a bit illogical to insist on that once you're there.

If they issue a s21 and you stop paying the rent and don't leave, they're no better off than if they don't issue it, you don't pay your rent, and don't leave.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

The AST will revert to a periodic tenancy after the six months, most just let it run on. Suggest you speak to the LL and see what they say. if you are willing to set up a DD for the monthly rent thats all a LL or Agent would require.

I pressume you also paid a deposit? was it protected? have they given you the details of where and whom it is with. They normally cant get you out or start procedures unless it is. Have they given you notice to quit yet?

if you are willing to set up a DD for the monthly rent thats all a LL or Agent would require.

That would be a Standing Order, not Direct Debit. (Few agents would be large enough to warrant the cost of them using the DD system).

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice