Computer Problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5328 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello All I am new to this site and have a problem with my computer and wondered if there is anyone about who may be able to assist me.

When I try to open any attachments sent to me in an email I get a little pop-up box which says "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel".

If someone can point me in the right direction as to what to do about this I should be very grateful. I must point out though, that I am quite a novice when it comes to anything technical to do with computers. :confused:

Is this Vista Mary?

If so, try this....CLICK on

Start

All Programs

Default Programs

Associate a File Type or Protocol With a Program

Wait for it to load the list of extensions eg. .pdf or .zip etc

Double click on the relevant file type and select the default progam you want to open the file with

I take it you have Acrobat Adobe and Microsoft Word etc to open these files? If it's a ZIP or a RAR file then you will also need specific software to open these.

Hope this helps and I haven't confused you!! ;)

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

Restons MBNA -v- WelshMam

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Is this Vista Mary?

If so, try this....CLICK on

Start

All Programs

Default Programs

Associate a File Type or Protocol With a Program

Wait for it to load the list of extensions eg. .pdf or .zip etc

Double click on the relevant file type and select the default progam you want to open the file with

I take it you have Acrobat Adobe and Microsoft Word etc to open these files? If it's a ZIP or a RAR file then you will also need specific software to open these.

Hope this helps and I haven't confused you!! ;)

Thank you Welshmam2009 your instructions were very helpful. However I still can't read the attachments. It goes through all the process of opening the attqchment but there is nothing there.

Yes, I am using Vista and yes I do have the latest version of Adobe Reader and also Microsoft Word.

The only thing I don't have at the moment is a programme to open a zip file. :confused:

The only thing I don't have at the moment is a programme to open a zip file. :confused:

Google ALZIP and you can download free software there for zip and rar files. Unlike other versions this is free and not just a trial version.

Are you still receiving the same error message when you try and open your files? Have you re-booted your pc since selecting the programs to open the files?

What type of file are you trying to open on the attachment?

If you feel I've helped then by all means click my star to the left...a simple "thank you" costs nothing! ;)

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Are you still receiving the same error message when you try and open your files? Have you re-booted your pc since selecting the programs to open the files?

No, what you suggested seems to have stopped that. But when I click on open to open the file, nothing's there.. In the pop-up box where you open the file it says gif_auto_file.

Thank you for the zip file program.

No I have not re-booted I shall do that now.

You don't have the full office suite installed.

I have got the same program installed on here as I have on my lap-top, but for some reason it does not work properly on here. I can use 'Word' and 'Word-pad' to send letters, doc's etc, but I cannot read them. Can you please tell me why this might be so.

Remember I am a novice when it comes to anything technical.

It's strange because gif refers to an image file and yet that's not what you're trying to open.

The only solution I can find by Googling involves making changes to the registry and I wouldn't feel confident explaining that, especially as I'm not sure it even needs doing.

What version of MS Office are you running? Perhaps re-installing it might help.

EDIT...Try re-following the procedure I outlined in post 2 and check that you have default programs set correctly for opening .gif and .jpg.

Edited by WelshMam2009

MBNA Cards

CitiCard

M&S and More

Is the only file you're having trouble opening a ZIP file? If so it should be able to open without any new software on Windows XP and Vista.

Before going any further, Have you got an antivirus installed? AVG and Avast are both free if not... google and install one of them.

Now, your file attachment, the last 3 letters after the "." says what file type it is so we can find a program to help you? common examples are .PDF or .DOC or .ZIP

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

I'm sorry I have not been on for a while, but I have been rather busy.

I would like to thank you all for your helpful posts and let you know that I have managed to sort out the problem of not being able to open files sent in emails, etc. by uninstalling and reinstalling Microsoft Office.

Thank you all once again.

Is the only file you're having trouble opening a ZIP file? If so it should be able to open without any new software on Windows XP and Vista.

Before going any further, Have you got an antivirus installed? AVG and Avast are both free if not... google and install one of them.

Now, your file attachment, the last 3 letters after the "." says what file type it is so we can find a program to help you? common examples are .PDF or .DOC or .ZIP

Thank you locutus. Yes I have got antivirus installed. I have Spyware Doctor.