Trying to recover 'agreed' charges

phoenix11
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5335 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I want to try and recover the £22 per go that Barclays charge me for having the Reserve option on my overdraft, on the grounds that I'm unemployed (on JSA) and that I cannot continue to manage my affairs with these charges.

They've said they'll remove the option, but they'll still then charge me £8 (?) a go for every instance I go overdrawn on my overdraft, essentially meaning that I only have to have 3 problems and I'm even worse off.

So is it:

a) worth using the Hardship letter template to request that they refund the charges on it's own - ie without taking any further action?

b) acceptable that they can still charge this £22 as a 'service' that I was very kindly given or is it something that should also be challenged?

One of the charges was for going over by less than £5 for 2 days - it's still despicable which ever way you look at it.

Cheers

:-)

Hi Phoenix,

You have to decide yourself whether to stay in, or opt out of, the Reserve Fee system. It really depends on how often you tend to go o/d. Also, if you opt out, will they still let you have any o/draft.

Even though you're on JSA, the bank won't necessarily agree that you qualify under the Hardship rules. Have a look at the terms of the FSA waiver re Hardship and see if you think you'd qualify for consideration because of your circumstances.

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

If you go through the Barclays threads you will see you are not alone in trying to reclaim charges for a reserve service that you did not ask for.

Bookworm is having a battle with them at the moment. I can't find her thread but it is there somewhere.

I don't think anyone has had the charges returned as yet.

You need to opt out of the reserve option and try and budget your finances a bit better. Change to a basic card cash account rather than have a debit card. (don't want to sound patronising)

I can't change to a basic cash account whilst I still have an overdraft and am on JSA - that's the big problem.

I need to get another bank account elsewhere and have my benefit paid into that so I can start to manage from scratch.

It's just not possible to cope at all if you go a lousy £5 over and then get clobbered for £22 for it when your on such a small income.

And yes, that was very patronising.

Didn't mean to sound patronising, as I posted.

My son is in the same situation owing nearly £400 made up of £22 reserve charges and overdrawn charges. He has put in a claim under irresponsible banking as to give someone on jobseekers an overdraft that they didn't ask for.

Hi Phoenix.

See Annexe 2 here - http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/disp_monthly.pdf

Wino was just trying to help and was not being patronising. :)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)