New Tv Licence Threats

andydd
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4622 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So the safe solution is not to open the door, I would imagine, though if you did shut it on them I don't see how the cops could get involved (because they are only there to prevent a breach of the peace, and if you're not coming out of the house it should stay pretty peaceful, shouldn't it?).

It wouldn't be right to leave people with the impression that you have to deal with TVL, hence my insistence on trying to get to the bottom of it.

Have nothing whatsoever to do with them and you'll be fine, is my advice to anyone who cares.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the safe solution is not to open the door, I would imagine, though if you did shut it on them I don't see how the cops could get involved (because they are only there to prevent a breach of the peace, and if you're not coming out of the house it should stay pretty peaceful, shouldn't it?).

:roll:

You are therefore deluded, a deliberately ignorant, anti social idiot.

A person is guilty of an offence if he—

(a) intentionally obstructs a person in the exercise of any power conferred on that person by virtue of a warrant under this section; or

(b) without reasonable excuse, fails to give any assistance that he is under a duty to give by virtue of subsection (7).

[Subsection (8) of section 366 of the Communications Act 2003]

Cheers - I've had a look.

So, they have the authority to enter your premises - but do they have the authority to forcibly enter your premises? My guess is not. Could there be a penalty if you refuse entry when they have a warrant, I wonder?

Yes they have the authority to enter forcibly, that is why the police are there as obstructing someone with a warrant is an offence and the 'only there to keep the piece' bit is you stopping them coming in or trying to close the door on them or anything else to stop them carrying out the warrant would be a breach of the piece.

It wouldn't be right to leave people with the impression that you have to deal with TVL, hence my insistence on trying to get to the bottom of it.

Have nothing whatsoever to do with them and you'll be fine, is my advice to anyone who cares.

As the 'authorised and lawful' collectors of the tax, you have to deal with them, you have no choice.

I know it's going slightly off topic but does anyone here think the licence provides good value for money?

The World wide reputation of the BBC as a reliable, impartial source of information is second to none.

If you had to start from scratch, that is an achievement that could not be repeated in this day and age at any price.

As the 'authorised and lawful' collectors of the tax, you have to deal with them, you have no choice.

Hmmm...I don't think I have to do anything unless physically forced to...so come and have a go if you think you're hard enough, is my thought.

So if you just don't open the door - is that obstruction?

You say, Conniff, and I'm not trying to be argumentative for the sake of it - I really want to know, that 'obstructing someone with a warrant is an offence'. I always though that bailiffs, for example, came with a warrant, but you don't have to let them in, do you? Can you please give us the authority for this statement? Would be much appreciated.

And finally, who has ever heard of a TVL inspector breaking down a door to gain entry - doesn't happen, does it?

:roll:

So if you just don't open the door - is that obstruction?

That fails to give assistance that there is a duty to give.

The link was already provided to section 366 of the Communications Act 2003.

Instead of being so stubbornly stupid, you did not so much as bother to read what is says, did you?

e.g.

(6) A person authorised by the BBC, or by OFCOM, to exercise a power conferred by a warrant under this section may (if necessary) use such force as may be reasonable in the exercise of that power.
:cool:

That should not have been so hard to get.

P.S.

The warrant is granted especially because it is likely that the culprit would not be so keen to let them in. That is what the thing is for, to give them the power.

Edited by perplexity
PS

A search warrant is a court order issued by a judge or magistrate that authorises a law enforcement agency to conduct a search of a person or location for evidence of a criminal offense and seize such items.

Communications Act 2003 section 366.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/21/section/366

Don't get bailiffs and debt collectors mixed up with a constable. There are many different types of warrant designed for different purposes.

And keep in mind that tax evasion is a criminal offence.

Edited by Conniff

Thanks for the link, very enlightening.

TVL inspectors 'may (if necessary) use such force as may be reasonable in the exercise of that power'. So I guess they could break your door down, but they don't appear to be doing it much. Probably because they don't need to, what with most of us being all compliant and that.

TVL inspectors 'may (if necessary) use such force as may be reasonable in the exercise of that power'. So I guess they could break your door down

Had a think and now disagree with myself - I don't think that there will ever be an occasion when it would be necessary for a TVL inspector to break down your door - desirable, perhaps, in order to achieve his aims, but not necessary. I think the above clause is there for when you trap his foot in the door when you close it and he needs to use force to counter that - nothing more. The fact that they don't seem to go around forcing entry, as I'm sure they would like to, suggests that they can't.