New Tv Licence Threats

andydd
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4644 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Today I Received another in a long line of threatening letters from Tv Licensing, I normally throw them straight in the bin but this latest one appears to contain some worrying points.

It's titled

OFFICIAL WARNING: WE HAVE OPENED AN INVESTIGATION

It then goes on 'This is an official warning that we are carrying out an investigation of your address.'

and continues ' We have asked you to contact us several times, but you have not responded', this is then made threatening further by the information supplied on a small seperate note which quotes 'To stop our investigation, you should buy a TV Licence, or contact us to let us know that a TV is not used at this address', however there is no obligation legal or otherwise to keep them informed wether I do or do not need a TV licence, why should I waste time and money writing to them to stop the so-called investigation.

Also on the main letter is quotes 'If we don't hear from you, our Enforcement Division will schedule a visit'

Now I'm not at all bothered by their idle threats, but It seems now that I'm almost being forced to respond to stop the so-called investigation and visits to my property. Doing nothing appears not to be an option (in their eyes anyway).

I think i may for the first actually write and complain about this and also withdraw permission for them to visit my propert anyway.

Andy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you should respond if you don't watch. They try to make you think the address has to have a license and not you. Let them waste their money.

If you should get a visit, as soon as they introduce themselves, you can shut the door on them, but whatever you do, don't sign anything.

I don't think you should respond if you don't watch. They try to make you think the address has to have a license and not you. Let them waste their money.

If you should get a visit, as soon as they introduce themselves, you can shut the door on them, but whatever you do, don't sign anything.

Im well aware of how to deal with them both by letter and on their rare 'visits', its just that there has been a change of tone in this latest letter to imply that you must respond somehow, the option of not watching live TV broadcasts and not responding doesnt appear to be an option, oh well..roll on the 'investigation', I hope its Magnum P.I...or Miss Marple.

Andy

I just googled this, as i also recieved this same threat. I checked the date on your post and was surprised to see that it was yesterday! Seems that they are adopting new tactics to try to scare us. I personally couldn't care less about watching tv. I do however use a tv as a monitor to play xbox and watch films, i also use my laptop to watch movies on.

This letter also states that it doesn't matter how you watch tv, be it on a tv, video or dvd recorder, laptop or mobile phone!! So they're really trying it on this time, saying that i need a tv licence for a mobile phone!? And a dvd recorder, i'm pretty sure that i'd need some sort of screen to watch tv through a dvd recorder lol. And does that mean if someone tapes a program off the tv and lets me watch it, i need to buy a licence?

A funny story. A few years ago, one of those morons visited my address. I had popped out to the shop, my brother answered and told them to call back later as he didn't live there. He said he was my brother, they asked his name and he gave it to them. A few weeks later, a tv licence bill appeared in his name! I called them and said that he didn't live there, it was a mistake. They said they couldn't talk to me because i'm not the account holder!

They're a bunch of idiots in my opinion. I'm going to tear this letter up and throw it away, like the rest of them. They can 'investigate' all they want.

I just googled this, as i also recieved this same threat. I checked the date on your post and was surprised to see that it was yesterday! Seems that they are adopting new tactics to try to scare us. I personally couldn't care less about watching tv. I do however use a tv as a monitor to play xbox and watch films, i also use my laptop to watch movies on.

This letter also states that it doesn't matter how you watch tv, be it on a tv, video or dvd recorder, laptop or mobile phone!! So they're really trying it on this time, saying that i need a tv licence for a mobile phone!? And a dvd recorder, i'm pretty sure that i'd need some sort of screen to watch tv through a dvd recorder lol. And does that mean if someone tapes a program off the tv and lets me watch it, i need to buy a licence?

A funny story. A few years ago, one of those morons visited my address. I had popped out to the shop, my brother answered and told them to call back later as he didn't live there. He said he was my brother, they asked his name and he gave it to them. A few weeks later, a tv licence bill appeared in his name! I called them and said that he didn't live there, it was a mistake. They said they couldn't talk to me because i'm not the account holder!

They're a bunch of idiots in my opinion. I'm going to tear this letter up and throw it away, like the rest of them. They can 'investigate' all they want.

Well..yep in theory u can watch live TV on your phone, so in theory you would need a licence, of course its highly doubtful if anyone would get 'caught' watching tv on a phone without a licence and the same applies to a dvd recorder used to record live tv.

My setup is a TV (not tuned into any stations nor connected to an aerial) connected to an windows media pc that I use for all my video and audio needs, I use a great program called Tunerfree MCE that brings together all the free 'catch up' tv stuff such as iplayer, 4od, ITVplayer and Hulu (in the states), when for example I choose iPlayer, I have a choice of clicking previously broadcast programs (for which you need no licence) or clicking 'live' TV for which you would need a licence, of course TV Licencing have no idea what Im watching (unless they are snopping on peoples IP addresses) even IF the mythical TV detector vans did exisit, which of course we all know they dont.

Andy

Well..yep in theory u can watch live TV on your phone, so in theory you would need a licence, of course its highly doubtful if anyone would get 'caught' watching tv on a phone without a licence and the same applies to a dvd recorder used to record live tv.

My setup is a TV (not tuned into any stations nor connected to an aerial) connected to an windows media pc that I use for all my video and audio needs, I use a great program called Tunerfree MCE that brings together all the free 'catch up' tv stuff such as iplayer, 4od, ITVplayer and Hulu (in the states), when for example I choose iPlayer, I have a choice of clicking previously broadcast programs (for which you need no licence) or clicking 'live' TV for which you would need a licence, of course TV Licencing have no idea what Im watching (unless they are snopping on peoples IP addresses) even IF the mythical TV detector vans did exisit, which of course we all know they dont.

Andy

i have read somewhere that if you only have a pc at home linked to internet then you do need a TV licence because you can watch BBC etc programs. Correct me if i am wrong

connected to the internet DOES NOT need a licence , however if you watch BBC tv live by it, yes tech, you do

and if it has a TV tuner card/facility ( and some video cards have built in tuners ) then you do need a licence

NEVER FORGET

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Help Our Hero's Website

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

HIGHWAY OF HEROES

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/181826-last-tribute-our-lads.html

Like Cooking ? check the Halogen Cooker thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/218990-cooking-halogen-cookers.html

If you watch any TV as it is broadcast you need a licence regardless of how it is received.

You do not not need one merely to own equipment, it must be installed for the purpose of receiving TV for a licence to be needed. (Personally, if I used iPlayer a lot I would buy a licence to support the BBC but that's a personal choice.)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-2368744.html

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

If you watch any TV as it is broadcast you need a licence regardless of how it is received.

You do not not need one merely to own equipment, it must be installed for the purpose of receiving TV for a licence to be needed. (Personally, if I used iPlayer a lot I would buy a licence to support the BBC but that's a personal choice.)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-2368744.html

Well explained !. Its curious that in any Tv Licence thread there are always lots of incorrect/misinformed posts regarding wether you do or do not need a licence, maybe this is the fault of the BBC/TV Licencing as their information has always been deliberately misleading and confusing, they have clarified and tightened it up in recent years but this is only because of the advent of mobile phones/iplayer, etc. As far as I knbow there have been no convictions for people caught watching live TV on a mobile device or prosocuted due to just owning a PC that is capable of live TV reception, and it would seem no-one ever will be.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a TV, nor a tuner on my PC, nor do I watch live broadcasts on iPlayer. And ... I've had lots of letters from TV Licensing since I moved to a new property.

I'm also not required by law to respond to TV Licensing.

I'm also not required by law to allow them into my home ... without a warrant.

I don't respond to their letters out of principle, because about 10 years ago, I did write and phone, and the letters just kept on coming!

Part of me wants to stick up for myself and not let them in - but part of me doesn't want some sort of police record about a "warrant" having been served on my address.

So, do I give in, and let them in when they visit, or do I politely tell them to go away and risk the warrant?

Finally, apparently, my refusing them entry is in itself not sufficient cause for them to get a warrant, but what is.

I'm losing my nerve!

They can't just get a warrant because you don't answer their letters which are computer generated so no one actually is on your back, just there system. They need to be able to show reasonable cause and unless they have visited you, they don't have any cause let alone reasonable.

If there is a post paid envelope inside, just send their junk back to them.

I believe that when they do apply for a search warrant they almost always find a tv set. However, that might be because it is usually people who have a TV set that don't let them in when they come for a visit.

tbh any sane person refuses to let them in, i would and i payed mine. i would guess theres only a warrent allowed if theres clearish evidence of television ussage. e.g. person pays for top package of sky tv but not tv liscence

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

tbh any sane person refuses to let them in, i would and i payed mine. i would guess theres only a warrent allowed if theres clearish evidence of television ussage. e.g. person pays for top package of sky tv but not tv liscence

i dont believe that this has ever happened (cross referencing of cable/sky customers with non tv licence holders) im sure it would fall foul of data protection laws anyway.

knowing goverment just wait for the new law...

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

I have received similar to the thread starter letter. However it addressed to my ltd company I use for contracting. My address is not in registered address of the company. I wonder where did they get it? I think Inland Revenue helped brothers :) as I claim £140 allowance for the home office.

I pay TVL as an individual living at the address. Company does not have TVs.

I am not going to answer this nonsence as I am paying what I have to. However I'd appreciate if anyone point me to a compact FAQ or similar - what one might expect from these vultures what are reasonable means to deal with them and what are the extremes?

If I refuse them to enter could they push me? What I am allowed to do in this case? What if someone else open the door and let them in by mistake (son, wife)? How can I make them leave?

I would like to excersise every possible legal defense.

I dont have anything to hide but people who collects debts, TVL "investigators" and traffic wardens - are closer to jackals than humans - this is my personal reasearch of Darwin theory :)