• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

First step Finance - **BANNED DIRECTORS STOLE +£6M**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2366 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

how would i be able to cancel without them splitting up the money in my pot between my creditors..?

i would rather have that money available so i could make a few full and final settlements, this way there is a chance i could get rid of up to half my debts which would give me more money for the ones i'll still have.

that's the thing that scares me about cancelling it would put me right back to square one

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You have to remember that their argument is that they keep the money in a pot until they can make a full and final settlement deal. If you have a debt of say £10000 and they make an easily achievable F&F settlement deal of £5000 (could be less, £4000, £3000, etc.), then only £5000 (or less) goes to the creditor and the debt is paid, while you will have to pay the whole £10000 to CCCS and Payplan to settle the debt. If you add their cost and fees then you will have to calculate what you actually pays. For the £10000 debt the 8% is £880 and the 25% settlement fee is £1250, therefore you pay £7130 to get the debt settled instead of £10000 when paying to Payplan or CCCS. As far as I know Payplan or CCCS do not make any F&F settlement deals and cannot do because they do not have your funds stored up to do it.

Therefore there is some validity to the point of keeping the money until you can make the F&F settlement deal. The problem is not that they keep the money to make these deals. The problems are that they do not tell the customers what they intend to do, what the consequences is by keeping the money in this so-called "pot", that un-enforceable credit agreements actually means very little, that they draw interest on this money, that they ignore what you ask or require and a whole range of other things and that the service they provide are extremely poor. Add to that arrogance and you have this explosive mix.

yeah i understand what you are saying, the problem i have is i am 2 and a half years down the line with them and have already put in over £15,000 - £16,000 . now i was told a few weeks ago that there was up to £11,000 in the pot (yesterday they said they didn't know how much was in it and they would have to calculate it as if i was leaving)

my problem is what they will do with that money if i leave.

thanks

Hi efc

And, what will they do with it if you stay?

x

v

hi

yeah i know what your saying but they tell me they will have me debt free in 5 years , ( i take it they mean by paying off debts by full and final ) so that's another 2 and a half years to go at a price of £18,000, put that with what ive already paid and its still under what i originally owed.

now the big question is WILL i be debt free in 5 years

to be honest i am SO confused right now

• 4 weeks later...

If you guys want to see how FSF spend your money take at look at the Xmas party last year (Dec 11 in the FSF office!- the guy featurned in the vid is head of credit control, Bill Waring, look to the back left and see the MD sat on a chair enjoying the performace.:| _ i cant post links yet but PM me and i will send you the link to you tube

Ogy, thanks for the link. Before I actually watched the video, I was going to say that what they do in their own time at a Xmas party has nothing to do with us, and all companies and their employees are entitled to have a Xmas social (e.g. drinks or a meal etc). However, having seen the vid now, I must admit that the 'entertainment' was (in my opinion) tacky and pointless and leaves rather a bad taste in my mouth. I don't suppose you're going to reveal how you got this information, but I take it you're sure it was an FSF party and at their office? My debts are still being managed by them, but I don't know for how much longer!

BTW here below is a recent hot tip from FSF on their Facebook site. Talk about stating the obvious!

Getting your debt under control in 2012 - today’s tip from the First Step Finance team: Switch to cheaper credit cards or loans where you can which have a better rate than you're paying now. Tell us if this was helpful ‘Like’.

I can confim it is a FSF Xmas party very recently, as Bill Waring (the star of the show) is Credit control there, The vid came From my friend Gary Maguire (Manger @FSF), after make a huge amount of redundacys @ FSF they said they wanted to have the party in the office, as not to rub the face's in those whom were made redundant. How kind and thoughful. If you look at the vid you can see the FSF trademark orange chairs, that you guys on here have kindley paid for.

Best Wishes

Ogy

Funny that Bill Waring doing his act he was supposed to have left fsf before redundancies were made - gone back - how strange. Make loads of people redundant and then take staff one - just so strange. Dont believe for one minute that they didnt want to rub the noses of those made redundant in it thats not how they work. Just another call centre now like the rest they are only running the company to line their own pockets.

DG

I have no legal training my knowledge comes from my personal life experiences

Please help keep the forum alive by making a donation

after make a huge amount of redundacys @ FSF they said they wanted to have the party in the office, as not to rub the face's in those whom were made redundant.

Ogy

You say they have morals?!?

Just show you, one is never to old to learn!!

“We believe Capital One Law takes privilege over UK Law” – Sven Lagerberg – Capital One.

-----------------

By supplying ALL the documents WILL NOT answer your questions but by supplying a SELECTIVE few will. – Jayne Sheenan – HSBC

------------------

Separate requests with a fee should be made to ALL relevant Data Controllers in an organisation. - Jayne Sheenan – HSBC

------------------

Our t&c's overrides ICO guidelines when reporting to CRA's - Karon A Bullock - Capital One

Diamondgirl is right, and I don't know why I'm still with FSF! I spoke to a young lady in their payments team, and tried to make a slightly lower payment (£20 lower) as I said I had a lot in the pot now and they are only making minimal payments to my creditors. However, she said that is not a reason to make lower payments and I should make the payment which is deemed I can afford. She said if a customer attempts to reduce their monthly payment, they would have to make a 'case' that they can no longer afford the original payment which is convincing enough for the creditors to accept. So I paid just the usual amount.

The next day, which is yesterday, I spoke to my caseworker for the monthly update and asked her why one of my accounts (a Halifax CC), which is in dispute, is taking such a long time to resolve - and she said they are currently negotiating a refund of charges, they believe to be unfair, totalling £208. Then the caseworker said it is in their interest as well as my interest for me to become debt free as soon as possible! I have been with them since April 2009 now.

PCB

they would have to make a 'case' that they can no longer afford the original payment which is convincing enough for the creditors to accept.

PCB

huh?!?!

All the creditors understand is that they don't get paid!! Should they be aware that there is money available to pay them then one can be sure they will certainly up the pressure to get some money!!

The creditors do not know what you are paying these fools, or that you pay them at all, they certainly did not agree to the fact that you can pay into a so-called "pot" at the circus party in Stockport so that these dancing clowns can make a F&F settlement when they eventually wish to do so.

The reason why they do not want you to make a lower payment is that they will be losing money!! They are afraid you will be paying less and less and that the money in this circus pot will grow less fast. They draw interest on this money and the amount of money in there determines what they will make out of you in the end.

EVERYTHING, I mean EVERYTHING they do and say is based on one and only one principle, how much will they financially benefit because of you. You paying less means they will be benefiting less and this is something which will give them sleepless nights. Also the longer you stay in debt, the more they benefit and the more interest they draw!!

“We believe Capital One Law takes privilege over UK Law” – Sven Lagerberg – Capital One.

-----------------

By supplying ALL the documents WILL NOT answer your questions but by supplying a SELECTIVE few will. – Jayne Sheenan – HSBC

------------------

Separate requests with a fee should be made to ALL relevant Data Controllers in an organisation. - Jayne Sheenan – HSBC

------------------

Our t&c's overrides ICO guidelines when reporting to CRA's - Karon A Bullock - Capital One

• 4 weeks later...

Im glad I found this thread, was contacted by them today, and all the "sales pitch" seems very good, and they are offering to prove there credentials to me.

Reading this thread does show, if it seems too good then it more than likely is. It became too good when they said they would be able to repair my credit file once it was all sorted out and I was clear of debt, to make certain myself and my family were able should we wish get a new loan/mortgage etc. Even when they said the worse case scenario where I had all my debts at full value and they couldnt write any off I would be in debt for 6 years, only 6 months short of where I am now.

So they are going to ring back Tuesday, armed with new information, I think I shall have a few fun and games with them and waste there time.

Im glad I found this thread, was contacted by them today, and all the "sales pitch" seems very good, and they are offering to prove there credentials to me.

Reading this thread does show, if it seems too good then it more than likely is. It became too good when they said they would be able to repair my credit file once it was all sorted out and I was clear of debt, to make certain myself and my family were able should we wish get a new loan/mortgage etc. Even when they said the worse case scenario where I had all my debts at full value and they couldnt write any off I would be in debt for 6 years, only 6 months short of where I am now.

So they are going to ring back Tuesday, armed with new information, I think I shall have a few fun and games with them and waste there time.

Hehe glad you found the posts .... You have probably saved yourself a lot of money :0) have fun.

• 1 month later...

Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me out too? I too have been with First Step Finance and am still with them. Have been with FSF for nearly 3 years now, and their fees seem quite high. To be fair a few debts have been written off, and some have been settled by their Full & Finals team. Got a call from another DM company today, called Debt Settlers, who said to me that if I've been with a 'debt elimination' co for 3 years, why is my account with Halifax credit card, for example, still "in dispute"? It should have been resolved one way or the other by now. Debt Settlers (DS) have emphasised that they *are* approved by the OFT and have even given me their serial number with the regulator.

DS apparently operate like traditional DM companies where all of the client's instalment goes towards the creditors, less a monthly management fee. they think that making a token payment of just £1 a month, which FSF typically make is like a "kick in the teeth" for them, and they said that the OFT wouldn't approve of the dubious practice in paying into a "pot" which probably goes into one of FSF's high interest accounts. DS advised me to cancel with FSF, whether or not I decide to go on board with themselves, stating that i should cancel with immediate effect (without attempting to make hurried settlements) and that i should mention I'm keeping a copy of my letter to show the OFT.

With DS their management fee for me would be £15 per month, which is a reduction from their usual one of 17.5% or £35 whichever is the greater, and they are waiving their usual one-off admin fee of £99 as I'm already with a DM company. I could, of course, manage all the debts myself, but I'm not sure whether my creditors would have the confidence to manage them appropriately, and they might find it an excue to start adding interest & charges again. I think it's quite clear I should cancel now with FSF though.

I haven't heard recently from desperate daniella, diamond girl, nancysmile, or lord tiger putin recently, so hope you are all well! :-)

PCB

Sorry, PS, regarding this sentence:

" but I'm not sure whether my creditors would have the confidence to manage them appropriately, and they might find it an excue to start adding interest & charges again. "

I meant the creditors might think I'm not taking it seriously and might think that I do not have the confidence to manage my debts appropriately. For "excue", of course read "excuse". My total payments would be £150 so quite manageable, and their taking 10% is pretty reasonable if one does wish to take the commercial DM route (as opposed to the CCCS or Payplan).

FSF charge 15% of amounts being paid to a creditor plus 25% of any portion of the debt "reduced" or "written off".

Hi PCB

My friends have cancelled with FSF. We've gone direct to the creditors they still have debts with and have agreed payments with them with a guarantee from the creditors in writing that they will not add any charges or interest as long as they keep up with the agreed payments so my friends are much happier now. FSF are dragging their heels in sorting the cancellation out but thats no suprise to anyone.

Not heard of Debt Settlers but its certainly worth checking around to see if anyone has anything to say about them but I say once bitten twice shy and I'd be careful of going into a contact with anyone if it was me.

Good Luck

DG

I have no legal training my knowledge comes from my personal life experiences

Please help keep the forum alive by making a donation

I've never heard of debt settlers. If anyone is considering going down the commerical DMP route they should ensure they use a firm that is a member of a recognised association such as DEMSA.

http://www.demsa.co.uk/members/

Also ensure that whoever you go to for advice they provide 'holistic' advcie about all options. The majority of fee-chargers seem not to do this.