H L Legal? contact over OLD debt

despot67
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5312 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received an important looking letter from H L Legal last week concerning a debt I allegedly have from when I banked with NatWest (about 15yrs ago).

True I have been contacted over this debt before by another company that I can't honestly remember all the details about. At that time like this I responed by asking what the debt was as I don't remember and I have been with RBS for years now and they own natwest and my credit rating shows no such debt?

H L claim that if I dont contact them in 7 days they will take it to court, bailiffs etc etc etc - I assume this is just bluff? They claim I owe £500.

What should I do, can I ask for details of this debt, I cant remember it and dont even remember anything about it?

can they take me to court and seize my goods?

Ho old is the debt - meaning how long ago was the last time that you made a payment or admitted the debt.

It sounds to me that they are chasing a debt which is statute barred.

They are not permitted to make legal enforcement threats in respectof such a debt. Report them to the OFT and to TS under CPUT.

Write to them and tell them that the alleged debt is statute barred and that you have reported them to the OFT and to TS and that you will make further complaints about it if you hear any more.

Inform them that on this basis the debt is not admitted and is in dispute.

Keep copies of your correspondence.

Send it recorded. keep the receipt.

• 4 weeks later...

concerning this debt I think I did make a payment to somebody over it but this was some years back but the original debt must be 15yrs old?

The company that contacted me have written again stating they are sending someone next week to visit me?

Surely they cant do this and can't I demand details of the original debt and without it they ahve no powers?

thanks for any help.