• Tweets

• This is kind of related but does anyone know since I have this ban from entering UAE because of my loan, can I visit Qatar? 
    • Thank you for that i thought id just ask as i was unsure.  Just hope its returned to me and doesnt spend the rest of its life going back and forth to Singapore  
    • Thanks @lolerz. I've attached it to the post. What do you think? What's the organ grinder? NTK.pdf
    • I'm afraid that if the value of the item was under declared then that is probably the best that you can hope for. Also, because the item was incorrectly addressed – even by a single letter, if that because the issue relating to the delivery then that has probably compounded the problem. There is probably very little that can be done. If you are lucky you will get the item back and then you can start again and declare it properly. Undervaluing parcels which are sent by any means is always going to cause a problem if the item is lost or damaged. It may mean that the cost of delivery is slightly less – but at the end of the day the risk becomes yours. When you enter into any kind of contract, effectively you declare it a level of risk to your contracting partner – and they decide to enter into the contract with you based on that level of risk. You have declared a level of risk and £50 – and that's the deal.   Additionally, undervaluing an item which is an internationally has the effect also of evading customs and any VAT system which is in force in that country – and that makes the whole thing a little bit more serious
    • Perfect. Nice and brief and to the point. You don't bother to start telling your life story. Just the way it should be. Send it off. You have probably done enough reading to understand that it won't make any difference don't start drafting your particulars of claim. Open an account with the MoneyClaim County Court system and start preparing. Post your particulars of claim here before you click it off. You may have noticed that at some point you will be asked if you want to go to mediation on this. We used to advise it but now we recommend that you decline mediation and go to trial. Your chances of success are much better than 95%. Going to trial will incur an additional hearing fee but of course you will get that back. However if you go to mediation, they will simply try to penny pinch and to get you to compromise and also they will sign you up to a confidentiality agreement and probably threaten you if you breach it. Not only that, if the mediation fails because you stand your ground, it will add additional delay while they then give you a date to go to trial. The best thing to do is to decline mediation – prepare for court hearing. Pay the extra fee. The chances are that rather than get a judgement against them they will then offer you a full settlement rather than go to court. If they do offer you full settlement then you will be obliged to accept it – but that's what you want. If they don't offer you full settlement then you will go to trial and there will be a judgement against them. Just so that you understand, our first interest is that you get your money back – but a close second is that it does go to trial and there is a judgement which we will then be able to use to help other people. Anyway as you should realise, we will help you all the way.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

MBNA summons received. Help please

anxious1234
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5324 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi. I have today received a summons from MBNA for nearly £20,000. I did upload the agreement on an earlier thread some months ago. At that time, one person said it looked unenforceable on the grounds that my credit limit was £18,000 but the only interest rates shown on the agreement is for 4/7/10k thereby not showing the rate for £18,000.

CAN I ASK IF SOME OF YOU GOOD PEOPLE CAN RE CHECK THE AGREEMENT AND HOPEFULLY FIND SOME MORE FLAWS. It is clearly headed as an application form. So is it an application or agreement?

I have re attached the agreement.

I am now at my wits end and do not know where to go from here.

MBNA did at one time offer a settlement of £7500 and then £6500 which I did not accept but now wish I had.

I have 14 days to put a defence in or admit liability etc. Do I dispute it and say I will defend and if so what would my defence be?

Do I now offer the £6500??

Hopefully, someone may be able to help me and then just maybe I will get to sleep.

Cheers

agreement1.pdf

agreement2 .pdf

Edited by anxious1234

IMO the agreement is probably enforceable provided Page 2 is the actual reverse of Page 1 i.e.within the 4 corners of the agreement. My only query would be with the prescribed terms which come after the signature box & it could be argued should come before your sig. The interest terms in the T&Cs are only an eg.

Your most likely defence I think would be to try & show they didn't default you correctly eg. if you didn't receive a default notice, if they didn't give you sufficient time to rectify the default as specified in regs, if the amount of the default was incorrect.

Have you ever had any unlawful charges applied to this account eg. overlimit, late payment fees etc? If so, have you ever reclaimed them & were they applied before any DN was issued that would make the DN inaccurate?

Edited by foolishgirl
additions

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

I think your main basis for contesting the enforcability would be re. the order of the prescribed terms. They are specifically laid out in the 1983 regs & have to be followed to be compliant with S60 of the CCA1974. Links to both here:

http://www.consumerforums.com/resources/templates-library/57-statutes/176-consumer-credit-act-1974-and-related-regulations-

A DJ should therefore not permit this form to stand as an agreement but you would have to argue the case very carefully & read up well on the legislation to convince him I suspect.

The DN I think is qustionable on the amount of clear days they have given you for remedy. Did you by any chance keep the envelope? They have to give you 2 clear working days + 14 for 1st class, 4 days for 2nd & just because it was dated 28May doesn't mean to say that it ws posted that day. I would therefore be demanding proof of posting from them.

There is also the issue of an inaccurate amount on the DN. Have you had any charges applied to this account & not reclaimed them? That should have been reflected in the amount of arrears on the DN & would make it defective. A defective DN followed by termination means that they can only ever claim the amount of arrears at the date of the DN from you, never the full balance. BTW a defective DN cannot be rectified once the account has been terminated so they can't think they'll make it all OK by issuing another one. Game is over.

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Hi. Thanks for reply. Regarding the order of the prescribed terms. I have looked through the link that you sent me but 50 pages of them is alot to take in and after trying I am no better off. Any chance you could help out here and explain what should be in what order.

Cheers

OK...you've got to acknowledge receipt of the claim within 14 days of the date on the claim form (you then state if you wish to defend all or part or admit all....it is usual to send out a CPR depending on the particulars of the claim in the first instance....and with the information in the link I posted above it might be interesting to see if you might be able to get them to reveal how they securitise their debt !! - can you post up the particulars of the claim ?

Freely & fearlessly copied from a 42man's post - thanks & acknowledgement to him:

Send them this letter by RECORDED / GUARANTEED delivery....and do not hand sign it...

In the XXXX County Court

Claimant -v- (YOUR NAME)

Claim Number: (CLAIM NUMBER)

Dear XXX

REQUEST FOR INFORMATION UNDER CPR 18

I have received a recent court claim from your organisation. In order to file a defence and counter claim I require some information. Given that this matter is now the subject of legal proceedings, you are obliged to disclose under the Civil Procedure Rules, the information and documents detailed below.

The information must be furnished within fourteen days of the receipt of this letter. If you fail to comply, this will be reported to the Court, a copy of this letter will be provided as evidence to the same and an Order enforcing your compliance will be sought.

1. A true copy of the executed credit agreement and any terms and conditions that applied to the account at the time of default and at the time the account was opened. True copies of any notice of assignment and/or default notice or enforcement notice that you or the original creditor sent me, with a copy of any proof of postage that you hold.

1.1 If copies of any of the above documents are to be relied on in court rather than originals, a copy of the Notice of proposal to adduce hearsay evidence required under s2(1) of the Civil Evidence Act 1995 together with proof of the authenticity of the document(s) as required under s8(1)(b) of the Act, including but not limited to:

(a) a copy of the procedure(s) used for copying, storing and retrieving documents

(b) a copy of the relevant log entry showing the time and date of the scan or copy, the name of the member of staff making the copy, the method used for copying, storage and retrieval and time and date of destruction of the original document(s)

© copies of internal and external audit reports covering the entire period from the date of the copy to the present to demonstrate that the procedures have been complied with

(d) copies of Quality Assurance accreditation certificates covering the entire period from the date of the copy to the present to demonstrate that the procedure(s) and audit process(es) comply with the appropriate quality standards

2. All records you hold on me relevant to this case, including but not limited to:

a. Transcriptions of all telephone conversations recorded and any notes made in relation to telephone conversations by your company, or by any previous creditor

b. Where there has been any event in my account history over this period which has required manual intervention by any person, I require disclosure of any indication or notes which have either caused or resulted in that manual intervention, or other evidence of that manual intervention in relation to my account formerly held with *********.(AMEND TO THE COMPANY NAME)

c. .Documents relating to any insurance added to the account, including the insurance contract and terms and conditions, date it was added and deleted (if applicable).

d. Details of any collection charge added to the account; specifically, the date it was levied, the amount of the charge, a detailed financial breakdown of how the charge was calculated, and what the charge covers.

e. Specific details of the fees/charges levied by any other agency in respect of this account and a detailed breakdown of said fees/charges and what each charge relates to and on what date said fees/charges were levied.

f. A genuine copy of any notice of fair use of my data as required by the Data Protection Act 1998

g. A list of third party agencies to whom you have disclosed my personal data and a summary of the nature of the information you have disclosed.

h. Copies of statements for the entire duration of the credit agreement.

3. Any other documents you seek to rely on in court.

I will require this information within the next fourteen days. I must advise you that if the information is not forthcoming, it will be reported to the Court that you are trying to frustrate proceedings and denying me the opportunity to file a defence and counter claim.

Yours sincerely,

XXXX (type, don't sign).

From first glance at the POC anxious, it's rubbish

1. They have not identified your account

2. Looks as though the default sum is wrong - you can't claim a full balance (which I assume this is) at default stage, only the arrears. The balance only becomes due on termination. Have they sent you a letter of termination? If not, make sure you ask for a copy in the above CPR request.

3. They cannot claim 8% stat. interest on regulated credit agreement.

Make sure you send off your AoS (with notice that you intend to defend fully) before the 14 day limit - I make it 21 September but to be sure, send if off to reach court by 18th. Deliver by hand & get a receipt or post Spec. Del (not Rec). Your defence is then due in after a further 14 days. That leaves you time for them to fulfil (or not!) the CPR18 request & compile a defence - with cag help if you need it ;)

Try & get that CPR request in the post today - Rec Del is a must!

I know I should know but what is POC?

Particulars of Claim - the summons you received from the court notifying you

of legal action

FG

You say that they have not identified your account

They have typed in the account number but I have tipp-exed it out. Is this what you mean thats missing?

That's Ok then - thought it was missing. Doesn't make the rest Ok though does it?! ;)

Typical Restons reply, I think they must churn them out by the thousand.

Anyway it makes your defence easy to compile:

1. They have admitted they have sent a recreated DN - they would have to produce an original + proof of posting in court for it to be considered served & comply with the legal requirements re. dating etc.

2. They have admitted the debt was not assigned. Was the POC issued in MBNA's name with Restons as sols?

3. They are refusing to issue you with statements so you can calculate unlawful charges as a counterclaim.

When does your defence have to be in?

That's OK - loads of time. POC correct.

Shout if you need help with the defence?