• Tweets

• Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Vodafone - Default removal + distress claim ***WON***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3363 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

im interested in this. would this be as simple as crossing off this part of the t&c's and hoping they dont notice or care? i presume they wouldnt negotiate on this?

how would i go about taking out a contract without this clause?

I don't think you could. You're right that they won't negotiate.

Of course, not having the chance to negotiate individual clauses could be unfair under UTCCR :razz:

Anyone burned by a Network like this will never take a contract out with them again - Buz and I know this, now, of course!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It has become more difficult of late, especially with arrival of 'online' contracts that are deemed to be updated when the network chooses, you have to ensure when this happens that nothing changes to the contract you modified.

However, it still remains possible - I modified two Orange contracts. However, to do this, I needed to request that I take the original contract to peruse to ensure it met my needs. I then returned to the shop with the contract all but completed, save for the change of two items and removal of one (the right to disclose financial dealings to a third party - A CRA in other words).

The first contract went through, and I received my copy of it back - complete with my modifications. Whether this was because nobody noticed, is anyone's guess. On another contract (T-Mobile), the modifications were refused, and they said no modifications or alterations were allowed, so I would have to complete a fresh contract, or they would not complete the deal. I didn't complete it.

Any contract is an agreement by both sides, and if there is something you don't like, you can change it (or at least try). It may not be accepted, and this remains a possibility, but with the ability to purchase phones SIM-free, and have a PAYG SIM that you can swap when you want, anyone who doesn't have 100% clairvoyance for the duration of a mobile contract, would be a fool to risk their financial standing for something as unnecessary as a phone contract.

It has become more difficult of late, especially with arrival of 'online' contracts that are deemed to be updated when the network chooses, you have to ensure when this happens that nothing changes to the contract you modified.

However, it still remains possible - I modified two Orange contracts. However, to do this, I needed to request that I take the original contract to peruse to ensure it met my needs. I then returned to the shop with the contract all but completed, save for the change of two items and removal of one (the right to disclose financial dealings to a third party - A CRA in other words).

The first contract went through, and I received my copy of it back - complete with my modifications. Whether this was because nobody noticed, is anyone's guess. On another contract (T-Mobile), the modifications were refused, and they said no modifications or alterations were allowed, so I would have to complete a fresh contract, or they would not complete the deal. I didn't complete it.

Any contract is an agreement by both sides, and if there is something you don't like, you can change it (or at least try). It may not be accepted, and this remains a possibility, but with the ability to purchase phones SIM-free, and have a PAYG SIM that you can swap when you want, anyone who doesn't have 100% clairvoyance for the duration of a mobile contract, would be a fool to risk their financial standing for something as unnecessary as a phone contract.

thats interesting, did you simply cross them out and initial the changes?

It was only 3 lines, so a ruler and a pen was deployed.... looking at it it is almost invisible compared to the other 200 lines on the contract, but it removed the conditions I didn't want.

OK, but confused abit here - genreally, doesnt their right to process any information end when the contract ends? I know that this argument had previously stood up with Experion and Equifax, and as a result of that they changed their guidance to stores to change their contracts to specifically allow processing of information for 6 years after the contract ends, but if we are talking about a contract drawn without this clause, then even if they end the contract due to default, that means they then cant process it doesnt it? or does it? does anyone know the up to date position?

The automatic renewal is an interesting twist too, coz you dont re-sign those do you, so you'd need to check if they changed the terms every time you renewed, if you knew what clause it was and crossed it out without the numpty in the shop noticing, they'd accept it.

No - there are a number of misconceptions here - the 6 years is an arbitrary limit (set by the CRAs after copying what the courts do). If you have taken out a contract, you will also have explicitly granted them permission to pass your details to a CRA. If you have problems paying then your contract clearly remains in force and the late payments are shown to the CRA. If the network decides the contract is so seriously in breach, they will terminate it whilst simulatenously telling the CRA that the contract has been terminated adversely (with prejudice), and from them on they cease to process your information - save for passing it on to a DCA for collection, which is allowed.

Ther's also no 'automatic renewal' - there is NO END DATE to a mobile contract. It will run forever providing you pay the bills. There may be a minimum term (6/12/18/24/36 months) and usually a 'period of noice' usually 30 days, where you advise you wish to terminate your contract.

Contracts may have their terms modified 'mid-term' but they should not manifestly disadvantage you, and it it does, you should have the ability to ask to be released from it. BT introduced rolling contracts, but I'm not aware of any mobile network trying this.

So, in theory if someone did an SAR on the mobile company and they couldnt produce a copy of the contract. could it then reasonably be argued that the customer mad an ammendment to the contract (similar to how you suggest buzby) disallowing 3rd party disclosure and subsequently challenge the cra and the mobile company as they would not be able to prove the customer had agreed to this and so would be in breach of the DPA.

could this be a way around their get out jail free card over not having to comply with the CCA?

OK - get that, but, if two concerns:

1 can the cra's put up a default on your credit file for something that hasnt been placed in the public domain by a court (ccj or bankruptcy or something), which is all the data protection act seems to authorise them to hold by my understanding of it - thereby denying you the right to a fair hearing of why it shouldnt be there?

2 is there anything you can do to prevent something being held for the arbitary 6 years?

Its such a long period of time and the effects are sooooo severe, there must be a solution to that problem (for those of us sitting at the back and not paying attention to the very wise advice not to get such contracts in the first place!)

So, in theory if someone did an SAR on the mobile company and they couldnt produce a copy of the contract. could it then reasonably be argued that the customer mad an ammendment to the contract (similar to how you suggest buzby) disallowing 3rd party disclosure and subsequently challenge the cra and the mobile company as they would not be able to prove the customer had agreed to this and so would be in breach of the DPA.

could this be a way around their get out jail free card over not having to comply with the CCA?

I don't believe they have to hold the actual contract, as invariably the details are either scanner or entered into a machine readible form, including an image of the contract itself IF they are minded to, but I donlt believe it is a requrement. For CCA issues the actual contract or an image of it MUST be available, but since mobile agreements are simply service contracts, and consumers are deemed to have agreed to them by making a payment or providing their DD details, this is becoming less important. The networks will simply supply a copy of the T&C's deemed to be currently in force.

I'd love to say my changes were ignored and I was able to force the issue, but of the contract I had successfully taken out, details of it did NOT appear to be passed to a CRA, and after 13 months I gave notice of termination and that was that.

I love this web site, I really wish I had found it sooner :D

I e mailed Vodafone about three weeks ago asking them to remove a default they had put on my account about four years ago. They only got back to me today after I chased them up again, and they have asked me to dial an 0870 number, two chances, I want everything in writing.

Basics of the story is:

They would charge me £3-00 for not paying by DD, even though every time I got my bill, I went on the net, bit of Internet Banking, bill was paid there and then minus the £3-00.

Ended up getting a default and threatening letters from a DCA for the almighty sum of £39-00 sterling, within around three weeks of the brown stuff hitting the fan. During this time I was arranging a re-mortgage, and this was how I found out about the default.

I was lucky as my sister arranged my mortgage and found a way around the default.

I have now asked them to remove the default as, in my opinion, they were too quick off the mark to hand it over to a DCA and the account, now settled fully and within around five weeks, and was in dispute.

I'll let you know how it goes, but I have a feeling I may be in for a bumby ride as it was a few years ago.

Archway

I love this web site, I really wish I had found it sooner :D

I e mailed Vodafone about three weeks ago asking them to remove a default they had put on my account about four years ago. They only got back to me today after I chased them up again, and they have asked me to dial an 0870 number, two chances, I want everything in writing.

Basics of the story is:

They would charge me £3-00 for not paying by DD, even though every time I got my bill, I went on the net, bit of Internet Banking, bill was paid there and then minus the £3-00.

Ended up getting a default and threatening letters from a DCA for the almighty sum of £39-00 sterling, within around three weeks of the brown stuff hitting the fan. During this time I was arranging a re-mortgage, and this was how I found out about the default.

I was lucky as my sister arranged my mortgage and found a way around the default.

I have now asked them to remove the default as, in my opinion, they were too quick off the mark to hand it over to a DCA and the account, now settled fully and within around five weeks, and was in dispute.

I'll let you know how it goes, but I have a feeling I may be in for a bumby ride as it was a few years ago.

Please do keep us updated. Could you start your own thread please? That way any advice will be taylored soley for yourself and your circumstances

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

• 3 years later...

hi,

i got a default judgement on vodapone and there solicitors put in a n244 application and for it to be heard on the telephone,court sent me a letter saying this case is not suitable for a telephone hearing, any help please as i sent a section 10 notice and voda didnt reply

Hi thethinker,

It's unusual for you not to have received a reply to your Section 10 Notice.

Should you like me to follow this up for you could you email me with your details via the Contact us form here and quote the code WRT135 - CAG Forum in the subject line?

Once sent you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. To ensure that it reaches me could you update the thread with this and I'll get back to you as soon as possible?

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

I'm hoping that by posting on here I can finally get somewhere with my queried default with Vodafone. ( I am new on here so hopefully i'm posting this is in the right place and adhering to the rules).

Back in April 2011 I had mobile broadband with Vodafone. I emailed in to cancel this contract via their site, and recieved an email back to say that I had recieved my request to cancel.

So I thought nothing of it and moved house (the reason for cancelling the contract). I was refused credit a few times but thought it was to do with the voters roll as I earn over £40k per year and have made regular online monthly payments on my small credit card balance.

I then applied for credit on a small purchase, which was refused. As such I signed up to Experian to find that Vodafone had a default on my account all of this time for the tiny amount of £17!! On finding this out I called over eight times and was told each time that they had no record of my account even why I provided my full address, email, DOB etc). Even a supervisor couldnt find my account.

Then finally someone managed to find my account so of course asked if I could pay the balance (which I'd had no knowledge of all this time!) and to get the default removed. I was advised even though the balance is settled it will take a month to show as such on my credit file, and will then sit on my file for six years!!

I am outraged. I have written to the Quality Assurance team, they dont take calls or emails apparently and have been told that it can take up to a month for them to reply to me.

I am shocked as to why vodafone didn;t action my request to cancel the contract, only tried to contact me by letter (as i'd moved) and how this can have gone on this long.

In addition - having a default on my account for six years for such a small is ludicrous especially as it will stop me from getting a mortgage in the next few months.

I am now waiting for a response from the quality assurance team as to whether this appaling default will be removed. If it isn't I shall keep complaining until someone at Vodafone takes it seriously.

Hi sarah31,

Thanks for making me aware of your concerns.

To enable me to get this looked into further could you email me with the relevant details via the Contact us form here and quote the code WRT135 - CAG Forum in the subject line?

Once sent you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. To ensure that it reaches me could you update the thread with this and I'll get back to you as soon as possible?

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

This has now all been resolved, all thanks to Lee.

Lee you've been brilliant in investigating this and keping me up to date with developments, thanks so much for all of your help in getting the default removed.

Kind regards

Sarah

• Haha 1

Hello

This has now all been resolved, all thanks to Lee.

Lee you've been brilliant in investigating this and kepingme up to date with developments, thanks so much for all of your help in gettingthe default removed.

Kind regards

Sarah

You're more than welcome Sarah.

Thanks for taking the time to update the thread with theoutcome to your case.

Take care and all the best with your mortgage application.

Kind regards,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Edited by citizenB

• 1 month later...

I will be starting new threads for

msmimi80

and

RosieB86

I will send links to both of you and also leave one on here for each of you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

BCOBS

• 1 year later...

Tinker, I will move your post to a thread of its own and leave a link here for you.

BCOBS

BCOBS