desperate to end lease

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5339 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We have a Short Assured Tenancy which we took out with a residential company on behalf of a private landlord. We were offered a deal of a months free rent should we take on a 12 month lease.

We quickly regretted moving in here and I have been miserable since. I am at home looking after our child which makes it even worse as I spend a great deal of my time here. I am suffering from post natal depression and I feel as if my housing situation is certainly a big obstacle in my recovery.

It has been 7 months since we moved in and I am feeling as if I can not cope with being here for much longer so I decided to approach the company who is letting the property to us. I enquired about how I could go about ending my lease early as the tenancy agreement is not very clear, it doesn't really mention it. I was told that there are 3 or 4 other properties in the courtyard where I live that are just about to go on the market and they would not consider putting mine up until the others have been occupied and that this was unlikely. This would mean I would be liable for the rent here until February 2010.

The only other option they gave me was finding someone else to take over my lease. I don't see that happening. I am so unhappy here that the thought of being here for another 5 months is unbearable. My doctor who is treating my depressive illness is aware of the housing situation but I am not sure if she would get involved or if it would even make any difference if she could.

I realise I have entered into a contract but I only wish I had seen it before I moved in. I was presented the lease on move in day and was not amused at a few things on it but I had no choice as it had gone too far. Lesson learned for next time. Looking at the lease, it only mentions a charge that would be applied if I was to abandon the property without giving the correct notice. I am unsure about just leaving because of the possible impact on my credit rating and the loss of the deposit. I need the deposit back and I wanted to do this by the book, perhaps by giving a couple of months notice then leaving but they just aren't entertaining it.

If anyone can help, I would be grateful.

As a stay at home mother I obviously have to spend a great deal of time in this property, which I despise. It is completely wrong for my family and I find it depressing being here. I am already having treatment for a depressive illness, this is aggravating it.

I am sure that many people here, particularly those of us who have had children and have some understanding of your problems, will feel sympathy for you in your predicament.

Unfortunately, the fact that your current home "is not right for you" in your depressive state is not a reason to be released from the legal contract that you signed. From your postings I gather that there is nothing physically wrong with your accommodation - you just feel you don't want to be there.

You could try asking your doctor for a letter to your landlord. There is no legal reason why the LL should release you from the contract before the end of the fixed term, but it may be worth a try.

Good luck.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

I can empathise as my family felt trapped in the house we were in, and 12 months seems like a long time. It may be good to get proper legal advice, as if you didn't see the lease until you moved in then it's not like you had much choice? sounds deceptive, and a trick a LL used years ago when I was a student.... see the dr or your health visitor though as the pnd can be dealt with straightaway

best wishes

Why on earth did you sign a lease - and a 12 month one at that - on a property that you had not seen before?

You give absolutely no reasons why you think the house is contributing to your illness and therefore I cannot but think you will suffer wherever you live.

You will get better and I hope that you have people around you who are able to help.

I think you have misunderstood Sali. I did see the property prior to moving in - I didn't see the lease.

I don't actually think the ins and outs of my depression is really anyones business. I have stated that being here is aggravating it, that is really as far as I am prepared to go. I am perfectly capable of being happy in my surroundings, but it will never happen here.

You are absolutely right - the ins and outs of your illness are nothing to do with me or anyone else, although you volunteered this information and from what I read, it looks as if you will try to use this as leverage to get out of a contract that you agreed and signed to.

Good luck.

Of course Sali, I didn't realise from the couple of posts I have written that you would be able to establish everything about me as a person...

You don't know anything about what is going on in my personal life so I would appreciate it if you would not make out that I am using it to my advantage. Putting 'good luck' at the end of your post doesn't make it any less offensive, if anything it makes it more so.

I dont want to discuss this with you any further, seems like you have a big chip on your shoulder about something and I am not having you take it out on me.