• Tweets

• Our picks

• Hermes lost parcel.. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422615-hermes-lost-parcel/
      • 49 replies
    • Oven repair. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/427690-oven-repair/&do=findComment&comment=5073391
      • 49 replies
    • I came across this discussion recently and just wanted to give my experience of A Shade Greener that may help others regarding their boiler finance agreement.

We had a 10yr  finance contract for a boiler fitted July 2015.

After a summer of discontent with ASG I discovered that if you have paid HALF the agreement or more you can legally return the boiler to them at no cost to yourself. I've just returned mine the feeling is liberating.

It all started mid summer during lockdown when they refused to service our boiler because we didn't have a loft ladder or flooring installed despite the fact AS installed the boiler. and had previosuly serviced it without issue for 4yrs. After consulting with an independent installer I was informed that if this was the case then ASG had breached building regulations,  this was duly reported to Gas Safe to investigate and even then ASG refused to accept blame and repeatedly said it was my problem. Anyway Gas Safe found them in breach of building regs and a compromise was reached.

A month later and ASG attended to service our boiler but in the process left the boiler unusuable as it kept losing pressure not to mention they had damaged the filling loop in the process which they said was my responsibilty not theres and would charge me to repair, so generous of them! Soon after reporting the fault I got a letter stating it was time we arranged a powerflush on our heating system which they make you do after 5 years even though there's nothing in the contract that states this. Coincidence?

After a few heated exchanges with ASG (pardon the pun) I decided to pull the plug and cancel our agreement.

The boiler was removed and replaced by a reputable installer,  and the old boiler was returned to ASG thus ending our contract with them. What's mad is I saved in excess of £1000 in the long run and got a new boiler with a brand new 12yr warranty. 

You only have to look at TrustPilot to get an idea of what this company is like.

• Thanks
      • 3 replies
    • Dazza a few months ago I discovered a good friend of mine who had ten debts with cards and catalogues which he was slavishly paying off at detriment to his own family quality of life, and I mean hardship, not just absence of second holidays or flat screen TV's.

I wrote to all his creditors asking for supporting documents and not one could provide any material that would allow them to enforce the debt.

As a result he stopped paying and they have been unable to do anything, one even admitted it was unenforceable.

If circumstances have got to the point where you are finding it unmanageable you must ask yourself why you feel the need to pay.  I guarantee you that these companies have built bad debt into their business model and no one over there is losing any sleep over your debt to them!  They will see you as a victim and cash cow and they will be reluctant to discuss final offers, only ways to keep you paying with threats of court action or seizing your assets if you have any.

They are not your friends and you owe them no loyalty or moral duty, that must remain only for yourself and your family.

If it was me I would send them all a CCA request.   I would bet that not one will provide the correct response and you can quite legally stop paying them until such time as they do provide a response.   Even when they do you should check back here as they mostly send dodgy photo copies or generic rubbish that has no connection with your supposed debt.

The money you are paying them should, as far as you are able, be put to a savings account for yourself and as a means of paying of one of these fleecers should they ever manage to get to to the point of a successful court judgement.  After six years they will not be able to start court action and that money will then become yours.

They will of course pursue you for the funds and pass your file around various departments of their business and out to third parties.

Your response is that you should treat it as a hobby.  I have numerous files of correspondence each faithfully organised showing the various letters from different DCA;s , solicitors etc with a mix of threats, inducements and offers.   It is like my stamp collection and I show it to anyone who is interested!
        • Thanks

Electric metre inaccurate - owe £££££

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4062 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi!

We moved into our current house last August - previous to that we had a prepay metre that cost us maximum £50 a month. We have exactly the same appliances and computers etc and use the same number of rooms!

We were told by British Gas that paying by DD would be cheaper so plumped for £40 a month - however when we moved to EON in May - British Gas read the metre and gave us a final bill of £746 :-o - so August -May cost us just under £1200.

£120 a month is just ridiculous, but I was pregnant and stupidly havent got round to doing something til now because I still owe British Gas £600

Now I have bought a Wattson Energy monitor - I have made sure the dishwasher has gone on plus oven, drier, washing machine - everything used as normal. This has recorded an average of £41 a month - which is what we expected - yet the metre is recording a huge amount more...more than double this.

Does anyone know how accurat the Wattson energy monitors are? I know for sure it goes up when we turn things on, goes really high with the oven, washers etc - so I know it must be seeing the electric.

I am going to contact EON in the morning to get the metre tested, and will raise a dispute on the British Gas bill (they are threatening court action).

Can anyone tell me - am I correct to assume that the Wattson energy monitor is correct - or at least more accurate than the metre?

My other question which may not be in the right place - with EVERYTHING switched off at the plug in the house except the Wattson (which uses a tiny bit of electric) - there is a constant 100-110w going through Wattson - that seems alot to me - should it be like that?! :confused:

Many thanks for taking the time to read me post! Thanks for any replies!

I'm not able to give the answers you want on this problem. However, we have quite a few people on this forum who complain of similar anomalies in thei power usage.

It sounds as if you are approaching the problem in a very structured way. Please do keep us updated on your progress because I think that it is about time these puzzles were understood. It would benefit a lot of people.

I would have thought that the best thing to do would be to contact the makes of the energy monitor. They will be very anxious to prove that their product is useful and I can imagine that they may give a good level of enthusiastic and knowedgable support.

Once again, please do let us know about it.

I suppose that you know that there is a Wattsons website with a community and support. It is at: DIY KYOTO

I understand that you can buy software and that the meter has a USB port which will allow you to upload results into some kind of spreadsheet on your computer.

You also asking whether the meter uses a lot of power. Looking at their website it seems to me that it can be operated with batteries and this would be better for you if you want to use the evidence against the electricity company.

Although it seems a bit of a luxury, it might be a very good idea to get a second Wattsons meter so that you can monitor your electricity usage with two separate battery powered metres at the same time. Upload the results onto different spreadsheets. You can then compare them. I would suggest that if they are broadly similar then you have a basis for arguing that they are accurate. I think the court would be very interested to hear this. So would we -- and so would various consumer journalists that I can think of. I would very much like to know what the electricity ccompany'sresponse to your own meter readings would be.

I see that Wattsons are on of the most expensive.

here is a price comparison site

Home Energy Monitor comparison chart from Electricity-Monitor.com

also

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/3324648/Consumer-test---home-energy-monitors.html

Anyone had any experience of these?

Hi BankFodder, thanks very much for the replies, and on my other thread! :)

Yes the Wattson is the most expensive I saw - I went for that one becuase of what you said - I can download the readings each day (the software is free to download and it comes with the cables) - the graphs are really good and show Power/Energy/Cost/CO2 used in 5 minute segments, or daily, monthly etc. It then gives an estimate of the year based on that....it can cope with the 2 rates of electric too.

It really is an eye opener, since getting it I have replaced all the 40w&60w bulbs with Philips 8w Energy Saving bulbs, and I religiously turn everything off a the plug - saving £s just from little red lights!

I checked out the battery thing, You are right - so I can test the useage with everything off, will do that tonight.

I am not sure how long the meter has been wrong for - my nan lived here before, and the metre was changed in 2006 I think - so she may well have been over paying for 2 years.

I really would recommend everyone get one of these, even the cheaper ones, but I warn you that you may find yourself glancing it as the numbers go higher and yelling round the house 'what on earth have you switched on now?!' :oops: Then stalking around the house at night in the dark searching for red standby lights :lol: